Wondering about Tipping Driver Delivering New Motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BackAgain

Hello -  We had a MiniWinnie for about 12 years back in the 70s and 80s.  We loved it and the many trips we took, but eventually moved on.  Now, as active retirees, we have just purchased a brand new Coachmen Prism.  It is a long story, but we are from Minneapolis, and are in Tucson for supposedly a 2 month visit, which is now 17 weeks as of today.

We decided while here, to purchase our motorhome, and for many reasons, it made good sense to buy from the dealer we will use for ongoing service in Minnesota.  The motorhome will be delivered tomorrow (hurray!), and we will finally head home later in the week.  With our prior experience and heavy duty research, we feel prepared.  But we realized we have one question on which we would appreciate getting some input.

A husband and wife team drive for this dealer, and it is a 3.5 day trip.  We wonder if we should tip them (we think so), and we wonder if anyone has advice for us on what amount of money would be appropriate.

Maybe a sill question, but any input would be appreciated.

I don't see why you should. They're just doing their job and are getting paid for it. Maybe pretty good also. I've got a question for you. Where did they sleep when needed. Did they use your new bed or in a motel?

They probably have not provided any personal or extra service with which a gratuity would usually be associated. Most likely they just did the driving job they were hired to do. Did you ask for any special consideration, e.g. re-scheduling the delivery time or place or maybe needing an extra stop along the way?  Without some extra or personal service, I think it's purely a matter of choice rather than an ethical consideration.  Since you seem to have already decided to tip something, I'd say the price of a modest dinner for two would be plenty. Say $50. If there was something more to their service to you, $100 would be more suitable.

Thanks for the input.

In answer to "where did they sleep", they have stayed in motels.  They have called to let us know about parts of the trip, have been more than polite.  They do not use the motorhome in anyway except to drive it -- they supposedly don't go back behind the passenger seats.  When they get here, they will wipe everything they touched with disinfectant, the seats, doors, handles, etc.  This is part of what the dealer service provides during this pandemic.  They will leave the keys and papers on the seat.  (We're older and have been isolating -- but they do this for everyone nowadays.) We didn't have to ask for that service.  They will the take a cab or an Uber to their hotel.  Then they fly home.

So they are being personable. 

In our dealings with people in the last while, we have run into some pretty big differences, some more helpful than expected, and a few that are rude and harsh and "just get it done."  So far these people have been extremely helpful, nothing beyond what I have described, but respectful and considerate.

Again, thanks for the input, and we are excited to be back in the RV world.

Well, I am generally a fair to good tipper.
If if it looks like they took good care of your new toy, then I'd tip them 100 bucks. I rather like that look on people's face when they realize that you thought of them.

Yea, I would tip them.  Lot's of sound advice above.  These people are the Do-ers.  Scratching to make ends meet.  Can't take it with you when you go.

I had to google. Coachmen Prism...Nice!

Welcome back to RVn.  :)) It's time to continue y'aLLs Adventure. 

..We only live once.

JD

BackAgain said:
They have called to let us know about parts of the trip, have been more than polite.  They do not use the motorhome in anyway except to drive it -- they supposedly don't go back behind the passenger seats.  When they get here, they will wipe everything they touched with disinfectant, the seats, doors, handles, etc.  This is part of what the dealer service provides during this pandemic.  They will leave the keys and papers on the seat.  (We're older and have been isolating -- but they do this for everyone nowadays.) We didn't have to ask for that service. 

Sounds like they'll be doing quite a bit before you take it off their hands so I would tip them.

I just recently received my $1,200 Economic Stimulus check and the vast majority of it is going to go to the working stiffs in the form of tips.

I'd tip those drivers a $100. That's a tough job.

A lot of times I will tip the RV repair and auto repair places I use.  Have had a few emergencies and guess what...they take me right away when I call for help. 

Count the dents - wash the mud off to see what may be hidden under it (had that happen when my Mitsi - 3000 was delivered when I was transferred cross country - mud all over the front with hundreds of gravel dents "coincidentally" hidden underneath).

If the MH is great, I agree a nice dinner could be okay to make you feel better. Otherwise, realize that most transfer drivers "drive 'em like they're stolen."

You may want to drive it around the block to test it before you sign off...

I agree with Gary.  However, if they have gone over and above with service - arrived with full fuel tank, freshly washed, better than new condition, then a tip is certainly appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom