Wondering if anyone has ever found a source for these clips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob T

Afternoon everyone
Sold the motorhome and bought a new to me 5th wheel and F250 Diesel truck.
Going to be interesting, haven’t driven anything 5th wheel in 40+ years but looking forward to it.
The truck has a combination trailer electrical hook up but there are 2 clips that hold the connector in the bumper that are missing.
Hate buying a new connector if I can source the clips.
So, what I’m wondering is if anyone has had the same issue and were you able to find new clips or alternatively how did you fix the problem?
I’ve attached a picture of the connector and a capture of the clips. (Clip circled)
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Bob

Attachments

• E2681897-EF3F-4301-AC56-AD0E3238EF39.jpeg
    E2681897-EF3F-4301-AC56-AD0E3238EF39.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 97231520-A918-4338-8F39-5B84A6C6E738.jpeg
    97231520-A918-4338-8F39-5B84A6C6E738.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 51
  • 5B8EA30A-716D-4D6E-9C7C-006532553E1A.jpeg
    5B8EA30A-716D-4D6E-9C7C-006532553E1A.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
I'll ask the obvious question: Have you tried a Ford dealer yet? Even if they don't sell the clips separately, maybe a tech has a few in his toolbox. Second possible is a shop that specializes in Trailer Hitches - they often have experience in repairing such things.

Also tried Google and found some possibles on Ebay. Ford BU5Z14A541A Genuine OEM Connector Bracket for sale online | eBay
And an entire unit for $57: Ford OEM Trailer Tow Harness Connector 9c3z14489a Image 17 for sale online | eBay

Hi Gary, thanks for your reply.
I’ve looked at the things you posted earlier.
I have been to Ford Dealer, they will order if I want but they can’t guarantee any delivery time.
The mount that is listed in ebay is not going to fit.
Yes, I can spend $79.00 (in Canada)for the new plug and if I must I will but I hate the idea of spending that much to get 2 clips that are probably a dollar each.
Pretty sure I’m not the only one that has had this issue.

Bob, doesn't it have electric socket in the truck bed for fifth wheel?

Hi Tony, how are you doing?
I just actually sent you an email not 5 minutes ago!!!
To answer your question, honestly I don’t know, just picked up the truck last Friday and the weather here has been not nice.
The tonneau has ice on it and I wasn’t too worried because the truck and trailer were a package.
Once the weather gets better I can open the tonneau put my emergency stuff in and start to make it mine.

I just looked on Amazon and they are less that $14.00 American. It is held on to the bumper with 4 screws. One on each corner. I would rather have it secured to the truck with screws with nuts than those clips.

Morning Rene, thank you for your reply.
I’m pretty sure I’ve had a connector mounted on a bracket like you are describing on past trucks. Honestly it’s probably a better way and guaranteed more secure but since this is the way it’s been done from the factory it’s probably better to just leave it this way. Mounting with a bracket that has 4 screws means either leaving the hole in bumper or drilling and I’m not too keen to get into that yet.

Morning Rene, thank you for your reply.
I’m pretty sure I’ve had a connector mounted on a bracket like you are describing on past trucks. Honestly it’s probably a better way and guaranteed more secure but since this is the way it’s been done from the factory it’s probably better to just leave it this way. Mounting with a bracket that has 4 screws means either leaving the hole in bumper or drilling and I’m not too keen to get into that yet.
I just took another look at yours. Does yours also have the 4 pin connector? If it does, I just found the same one on Amazon for $27.00 and it’s held in with those clips

Last edited:
Yes, mine is the combination connector, barrel and flat 4.
Could you post the link so I can check.
Thanks

Attachments

• 1679234091110.png
    1679234091110.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 4
Your local NAPA has the clips your looking for as well as hundreds of other small fasteners for anything automotive..>>>Dan

Thank you for the links Rene and Charles and thank you for the suggestion Dan.
I’ve got a NAPA in the area so will stop in there tomorrow and if no luck order the one from Amazon.
TonyL asked if there was an electric hook up for the trailer in the box, didn’t know but just checked and confirmed there is. Wasn’t too concerned as the truck was purchased by original owner for pulling this trailer and small world but the gent I bought from worked for the same company as I did.
So, I do have confidence everything is good (plus I did all my homework before I bought as to towing capacities etc.)
Plan to pick up trailer end April beginning May.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I called hopkins and they were kind enough to send me a couple of clips at no charge.
Now thats customer service.

Reactions: SMR
Just wanted to let everyone know that I called hopkins and they were kind enough to send me a couple of clips at no charge.
Now thats customer service.
Thanks Bob, nice to get an update

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom