Wood stove in your RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alaskacreeker

Hey everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone else has ever installed a wood burning stove in their RV? I have a small wood stove in mine and found it works great to get rid of condensation in the wintertime vs. propane.  I'd just like to hear from you guys and hear other experiences.  Thanks everyone,

Timmy

Attachments

• KimberlyREP3.jpg
    KimberlyREP3.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 229
Up here in Idaho wood burning stoves in RV's are rather common place. As a matter of fact a good friend in New Meadows, ID builds wood stoves solely for RV use from old propane bottles. Small size and work really really well with temps well below 0*F.  8)

Thanks guys.  It's actually not a pellet stove.  It's a wood burning stove/gasifier that will burn wood, sawdust logs, pellets, charcoal, or driftwood.  Pretty nice.  I mainly burn birch hardwood and get burn times of 3-6 hours per load, not too shabby.  It's called a Kimberly wood stove.  I've got a bit of information on them and how I installed it on my website in my signature below.  I was curious if anyone else had used any other namebrand stoves in their RV, in particular the small marine wood stoves.

Though I don't have one, a few people over at airforums.com have installed the Little Cod from Navigator Stove Works.

http://www.marinestove.com/

To be done right and safely it takes a fair amount of dedicated space, and is not inexpensive.  The trailers that have them are highly customized units with little expense spared in their renovation.

Jammer said:
Though I don't have one, a few people over at airforums.com have installed the Little Cod from Navigator Stove Works.

http://www.marinestove.com/

To be done right and safely it takes a fair amount of dedicated space, and is not inexpensive.  The trailers that have them are highly customized units with little expense spared in their renovation.

That Kimberly is not cheap either, $4,000.  I think that's the installed price, but not something a MH in TX would need, but it's a sharp looking stove.

Having read the posts on putting a wood burning stove in your RV, an idea I am fond of for off grid camping in cold climates in winter where wood is plentiful and propane is expensive and not close, although I am also concerned that the risk and mess inside the RV is too great. My idea is to build a wood burning stove water heater and connecting the unit to the RV with proper hosing via quick disconnect fittings allowing it to be set up and connected after arriving on site. The other side (RV Interior) of the quick connects would be plumbed in permanently to a 12 VDC pump, with a radiator (heat Exchanger) and a 12VDC fan which could use the RV's existing ductwork to distribute the heat. The outside unit would need to have a wood box surrounded by a stainless steel water tank with a stainless steel flue completely leak proof, built small enough to be moveable and storable for transit. Safety devices would include pressure pop off valves and the liquid would need o be some type of antifreeze to prevent damage from freezing if the fire died on a cold night.
I have actually found this type of unit but it is huge and would heat a house, and the design I found would be perfect if it could be miniaturized. I am still looking for a turnkey system like this, but I am considering building it myself.

Ok that's a very pretty little stove -and I love the idea of a wood stove in an rv -  but c'mon - $3750?

I mean - $3750?

The first time I tried a Zip stove (wood burning, forced air fan assist backpacking wood stove), I never looked back - and I don't use my white gas or butane stoves anymore backpacking.  Having endless free fuel and a hot, clean fire is too good to pass up.

And I'd be really interested in a product like this, but please explain to me why it's worth the asking price.

Back
Top Bottom