Woodall's books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carbo3595

How manu out there use the Woodall's books?  Are they really that informative?  We're new to this, haven't purchased an RV yet but plan to maybe next year.  I'm just trying to gather as much information as possible.  I did see the RV Owner's Manual.  Does anyone recommend these books?

Thanks

I carry and use the Woodalls directory in addition to the Trailer Life campground directory. Most of what they list is the same, buit sometimes one will have listings the other doesn't and vice versa.

Hi Carbo,

We use Trailer Life Guide as a reference to find RV campgrounds.  They list the town and then all RV parks near it and give it a rating as to  completeness of facilities, cleanliness of bathrooms and overall beauty.  It also list phone numbers so we can call ahead if we wish to ensure a sight coming up in a few days or a few  hours.  The book is big, heavy and pricey .  RV parks come and go so we get a new Trailer Life about every 3 or 4 years.  I tried the Woodalls Guide , but I did not find the format as  easy to read.  This is most likely because I'm familiar with the Trailer Life format.  I don't think anyone needs 2 guides.  Keep in  mind that to be entered in these books, the camp sight has to pay a fee so some of what you read about the  parks could be a little over inflated.  In general it is a must have guide for our  touring!

We also have the RV Manual  and a dozen more books that haven't been opened in a while!

Betty Brewer
in year 4 of full timing

We carry both Trailer Life and Woodalls - I buy a new one of each every other year, on alternate years.  We generally look at Trailer life first, but Woodalls lists some parks that TL does not, and vice versa.  One or the other of these guides is a must, having both is a convenience. TL is also available in a map-based CD form, but I personally don't like it very much.

There's another campground guide called Wheelers, but IMO it is much less comprehensive then the other two. You can view it online at Wheelers or buy it in CD form. 

Do any of the 3 directory books publish the GPS points for easy entry to a mapping software ?

I'm not aware of any books publishing GPS cord's however if you have Microsoft Streets and Trips or Rand Mcnally's Street Atlas or one asumes the other one (Delorme?) they list campgrounds.  I think S&T uses the Woodalls directory of campgrounds.  And you can then either 1: Just use the computer display to go there or 2: use the "Locate" tool to snag the GPS cord's by hovering the mouse over it

Finally the Discovery owner's web site has map overlays for most popular software maps.  Does a great job

The first year we RV'd, we purchased both Woodall and Trailer Life.  I, too, prefer the format of Trailer Life and it is now the only one we carry.  I sometimes think there is a coorelation between ratings and the size of the ad they purchase but I think one or the other is a must have for RVers.

Woodall's and Trailer Life website list more campgrounds and RV Parks than Microsoft Street & Trips or Delorme Street Atlas. The question, how do you enter missing campgrounds to your software ?

I would avoid entering street address and zipcode to "Find" in S&T or "Quick Search" in SA since they are not error free with regards to locating database address or street location in the mapping software. GPS point entry makes more sense specially for PO Box address or State Park that are approximate location on the campground site map.

vlady daddy said:
Do any of the 3 directory books publish the GPS points for easy entry to a mapping software ?

Entering the street address in most mapping  programs gets you there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom