Workhorse 225 x 6.75 wheel failure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garyb1st

Anyone have experience with BUYTRUCKWHEELS.COM?

Wheel on steer axle failed. Small pin hole on flat area between side walls. Had welded but not comfortable using it. Been looking for a replacement new or used. With one exception, I can't find anything that will work. The exception is the above company. They have steel wheels manufactured in Turkey. They are 22.5 x 7.5 - 8x275mm Jantsa steel wheels. Cost $300. each. They are bit larger than stock so I'll need two. Never heard of BUYTRUCKWHEELS or Jantsa.

One possibility would be to put the welded steer rim on outside dually. While I don't like doing this, I don't have a lot of options.

Anyone have a Workhorse wheel for sale or have any info these companies or welded rims?

When I was shopping for a spare wheel a few years ago Colaws and Visones had them used for $75 plus truck freight shipping.

eBay? I just bought a wheel for my Jeep Liberty. I assume you tried already...

Sorry, no experience with the company you referenced.

So far I've checked eBay, amazon, craigslist and similar within 250 miles. All the local Junkyards I've contacted so far have not had anything. Checked Colaws and Visones and nothing comes up.

BuyTruckWheels.com is advertised as e-commerce but it apparently has a physical warehouse location in Ohio, according to Google.

Google reviews (all three of them) are shiny 5-stars, but their own Facebook page and reviews in SiteJabber are less than stellar. Mostly complaining about shipping delays and lack of communication with customers.

Like the Romans used to say "Caveat emptor".

I can buy Aluminum wheels from the dealer that I buy tire from. They are $275.00 each for 225 x 7.5. That sounds a whole lot better than the $300.00 each for steel from the E-commerce company. And if I can sell the old wheels for $100 +/- each, I'll probably end up getting a set of 4 for not much more than what I was going to pay for two. I could just buy two for the steer axle but I think that would look a bit strange.

Anyone replace their steel wheels with aluminum or have any thoughts on this idea.

I see no reason not to trust the wheel. A pin hole is not like a crack that may disperse.

Isaac, how do I determine that and if needed, is that something an average tire shop can do?

Pedro Dog, while I mentioned pin hole, I never saw the actual hole. Based on the location and appearance of the weld it did not look like it was a crack. Then again, I can't say for sure. The weld itself is maybe an inch or a bit more in diameter.

Back
Top Bottom