World Cup Football (Soccer)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Right you are Carl.  I was trying to make that clear and then explain how times have changed.  And yes there are some quick ways of becoming a citizen, but I don't think Paul will be able to utilize them.

English soccer fans again showed their respect for other countries yesterday by engaging in street fights with peaceful German supporters. England wasn't even playing, but their fans decided they'd pick on the locals anyway. 300 people were arrested, unfortunately most would be let out after only a brief stay.

This was not an isolated incident. It's happened numerous times over the years, both at world cup events and at regular 'away' games.

Too bad they can't respect other people and especially the country they're visiting.

Ah weell, those Englisher laddies just like to have fun.  I wonder how they rate the German coppers and nicks.  It was too bad that they couldn't make the world cup when LA hosted some of the games.  LAPD missed a chance at the Quadriennial Yob Cup.  ;D ;D 

I wonder if we could arrange a match in Bagdad for the Brits and provide free transportation for the "Englisher laddies"; might solve our problems in Iraq. ::) ::)

ROTFL Jeff!

One correction - rather than generic "Brits", it should be more specifically English soccer fans.

Tom said:
ROTFL Jeff!

One correction - rather than generic "Brits", it should be more specifically English soccer fans.

Oops, sorry Tom, didn't mean to inpunge the rest of the Bristish isles. ;D

LOL Jeff, it's OK if you mix up the Scots, Welsh and Irish, but don't associate any of us with the English  ;D

Here you go again Tom.

Please don't report half-facts - if you are going to state these things, at least give the full details.

I would be happy to read the news report containing the words ...engaging in street fights with peaceful German supporters..

400 English fans have been arrested out of a total 5,000 fans arrested throughout the tournament (so far) - given that Germany and England have by far (70%) the highest numbers of 'fans' at the tournament, your limited statement doesn't mean too much (and seems like you are determined to use every titbit of information to word any sort of attack on all but the US and the Welsh).

Rather than utilise one hyped headline, why not read all the headlines to get a balanced view! - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2235276,00.html

Out of those 400, 3 were detained - for offences such as throwing chairs and breaking a table.

Given the past history of English fans, it beggars belief that the German authorities didn't have enough space to hold those arrested if they felt it justified ??

Don't get me wrong - I'm all in favour of locking people up and throwing away the key - I don't think enough is done to tackle crime of any sort, whether it be in Europe or elsewhere. Don't forget, Ive just spent 7 years fighting off drug addicts, shoplifters and burglars in my (old)retail stores.

BTW - what would be your excuse for the 110,000 annual deaths and/or serious injuries caused by guns in the USA each year ? (I think I would rather have a few thrown chairs).

I started this thread as a pretty simple observation on Respect (or lack of it) - I even apologised several times to anyone who may have been offended by 'my views'.

Tom - I think it is time you left your anti-English stance now and agree that we may disagree - I am certainly offended by your repeated negative swipes at the English.

Paul

PS I have been watching the World Cup on Canadian TV and am pleased that EVERY National Anthem has been aired to date.

Ohmygod, here we go again.

For about 8 years I sysopped on a British political forum on Compuserve.? I am an American, a native American, with a Swedish surname, so don't ask how that happened.? ;D? ?Every once in a while the Jocks, Taffs, and Sassanachs/Limeys would get into it, and the poor damn lone American would have to wade in and pull irate members out of the pile and take them off to section 0, the private staff section, and read them the riot act about being nice to each other and tolerent of other countries lest they leave us for a month or so in Coventry.

I have a announcement:

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?? ?I ain't gonna do it here!

So you all be nice to each other, hear.? 8)

Gee Paul, I reported what I saw on TV, although I'm the first to complain that our TV news lacks both depth and breadth when it comes to international issues. What I saw was the same thing I've seen for many years at or following numerous international and club games involving English supporters. I've also seen it while watching British-made documentaries following Bobbies around after games. For whatever reason, some of these folks go looking for opposing fans just to beat them up.

...what would be your excuse for the 110,000 annual deaths and/or serious injuries caused by guns in the USA each year ?

Good try but, if you'd been around here longer, you'd know that I don't discuss gun-related issues. Actually, most folks here don't discuss the subject, partly because of the emotions on both sides. It's one of those subjects like religion and politics that long-time members agreed among themselves not to discuss in the interests of harmony. Occasionally someone will throw in a gun-related comment in hopes of stirring the pot, but most folks ignore it.

LOL Carl, you don't want the Sheriff's badge back?

BTW two of my pastimes are teasing Englishmen and teasing salesmen. The Englishman who sold me the boat was in deep trouble  ;D  But he was a good sport and we subsequently became friends.

I've also taken my share of abuse from Englishmen  :(

Tom said:
I've also taken my share of abuse from Englishmen? :(

;D You should see the latest advertisement on TV for Pot Noodles Tom. It's the Welsh miners working down the Pot Noodle mine. Isn't it?  ;D

LOL John, I haven't seen that ad, but I bet they're all singing too  ;D

Another anti-Welsh campaign by English company owners. Sounds like they even coerced some of their Welsh workers into appearing in the ads. I can hear it now - "be in the ads or be on the dole".

Maybe the colliery boys will organize a bus trip to meet with the execs and whisper some advice in their ears  ;D

Thanks for the link Mick. It's definitely an insult to Welsh culture and heritage. Obviously produced/promoted by non-Welsh speaking folks - they've even spelled the name of the town (mentioned at the beginning of the commentary) incorrectly on the web page; Always a dead giveaway.

Maybe it's payback for the folk songs written and sung by Max Boyce about the abysmal performance of English rugby in the 70's  ???

John, yes it is a good ad, except for the racial slurs  ;D

[edit]Fix typos[/edit]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom