WORST roads for RV travel: Your nominee(s)??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

Having had the misfortune to travel on this road over many years-- thinking each time that perhaps the massive repairs I always see underway have been completed and conditions have improved only to discover to my dismay that not only have conditions NOT improved but they have deteriorated-- I'd like to hereby nominate the stretch of Route 81 from Harrisburg, PA north up to and around Binghamton, NY as my candidate for WORST road for RV travel in the world.

jymbee said:
Having had the misfortune to travel on this road over many years-- thinking each time that perhaps the massive repairs I always see underway have been completed and conditions have improved only to discover to my dismay that not only have conditions NOT improved but they have deteriorated-- I'd like to hereby nominate the stretch of Route 81 from Harrisburg, PA north up to and around Binghamton, NY as my candidate for WORST road for RV travel in the world.
Have you been on it this year?

Repaved from above Harrisburg to Wilkes-Barre and they are revamping the area around Wilkes-Barre. 81 between Scranton and Binghamton was nice a few weeks ago and the redo of the Binghamton interchange to 17/86 is almost finished.

I will recheck in a week when I make the trip again

I 10 in West Texas say West of the I 10/I 20 merge and I 10 East of Lafayette, LA are far worse IMO

Yep, we were on that stretch of 81 yesterday. There were a few smooth sections but many miles of really bad road. I'm thinking that perhaps there's some kind of kickback from the company that sells thousands of those orange traffic cones!  ;D

darsben said:
Have you been on it this year?

Repaved from above Harrisburg to Wilkes-Barre and they are revamping the area around Wilkes-Barre. 81 between Scranton and Binghamton was nice a few weeks ago and the redo of the Binghamton interchange to 17/86 is almost finished.

I will recheck in a week when I make the trip again

I 10 in West Texas say West of the I 10/I 20 merge and I 10 East of Lafayette, LA are far worse IMO

NM 285 between Carlsbad and Lovington -not only the roughest, most pot-holed, nay SINK-HOLED road I have ever been on (there is literally a sign that says, "Caution, Sink Hole May Occur Next Three Miles"), but also, if I'm not mistaken, was one of this year's most deadly in the nation.

I80 toll road thru Indiana.... Since they leased the road out. the upkeep to the road has stopped...
It is horrible .. Drove our MH east and by the time we got to the Ohio Line, that road had shook almost everything
in the MH loose.... 
  And the really painfull thing is,, we had to pay a toll for the right to drive on it...... SMH !
Never again.. Will travel US20 east from now on...

Bob

hedhunter9 said:
I80 toll road thru Indiana.... Since they leased the road out. the upkeep to the road has stopped...
It is horrible .. Drove our MH east and by the time we got to the Ohio Line, that road had shook almost everything
in the MH loose.... 
  And the really painfull thing is,, we had to pay a toll for the right to drive on it...... SMH !
Never again.. Will travel US20 east from now on...

Bob

X2 AGREED
We should have been paid to use it.

FenderP said:
NM 285 between Carlsbad and Lovington -not only the roughest, most pot-holed, nay SINK-HOLED road I have ever been on (there is literally a sign that says, "Caution, Sink Hole May Occur Next Three Miles"), but also, if I'm not mistaken, was one of this year's most deadly in the nation.

Amen, brother!  we were down that road in February in our class A.  By the time we reached Texas, our leveling jacks didn't work, and I was grateful it wasn't worse.  I will NEVER go down that road again!

jayc2640 said:
Amen, brother!  we were down that road in February in our class A.  By the time we reached Texas, our leveling jacks didn't work, and I was grateful it wasn't worse.  I will NEVER go down that road again!

We have sworn it off as well. We will drive an hour out of the way to avoid it.

Thirteen miles of I-10 between the Atchafalaya causeway and Lafayette, although they were working on it last October.
Texas 105 between Beaumont and Brenham would be a great way to avoid Houston if the road wasn't in such bad shape.
Some stretches of I-90 in Idaho and Western Montana are getting pretty worn and washboarded.

Good Topic,

Agree with the Indiana toll road plus ANY Indiana road as most are very poorly maintained, even though we are now paying 10 cents more gas tax. My problem is we already had a gas tax and roads have NOT been maintained. Don't know what they are using the money for but it isn't the roads in Indiana.

After we leave Indiana when we travel, other states are so much BETTER!!

You should see some of our roads after a winter of frost heaves. The Alaska highway will claim your dentures if you don't slow down. One of the worst roads I have seen south of the border was I-84 between Pocatello ID and Boise. I had to drive in the left lane, I couldn't take the pounding. I-80 west of Reno was no better.

camperAL said:
Good Topic,

Agree with the Indiana toll road plus ANY Indiana road as most are very poorly maintained, even though we are now paying 10 cents more gas tax. My problem is we already had a gas tax and roads have NOT been maintained. Don't know what they are using the money for but it isn't the roads in Indiana.

After we leave Indiana when we travel, other states are so much BETTER!!

I agree 100%.  Indiana roads are terrible, and I don't get it, there is a surplus of cash in the pot.  My vote is I-65, either side, between Indy and Chicago,  but I-80 tollroad is a close second.

I-70 in Terre Haute is horrible.  I used to drive back and forth to Indy weekly and got reminded every time I crossed the Wabash. 

Back
Top Bottom