Would love to learn your thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flfamily

Hi All-Amy (the wife in this duo) here-As we're sifting through the myriad of choices while in the decision process of purchasing our first RV, we'd truly love your input on a few things, if possible. Pros or cons of (1) Free-standing dinette/chairs as opposed to the more traditional secured table/booth. I would think the traditional offers the ability of more people being able to use the table simultaneously, additional sleeping area if it can be converted to a bed, safer since it doesn't shift around while driving, and it appeals-maybe- to more of a nostalgic rv experience. The free-standing, I would think, offers more floor space in order to utilize air mattresses for additional sleeping arrangements and versatility since it could even be moved outside for outdoor dining. ??? (2) The rv entrance location either in front of the passenger seat or behind. I would guess that the "in front" version would be convenient for the passenger if they want to leave the rv but inconvenient when they don't but others have to climb over them in order to get out. However, "in front" would probably make the living area feel larger??? And last, but not least, (3)would you consider having laundry appliances high on your "wish list"; and, if so, separate washer and dryer or do the combos work fairly well? I'm sorry for the lengthy list, but this will probably be the rv we will keep for the rest of our lives and we want to be sure to make it right. (Later, I'll probably be hitting you all up for input on traveling with a dog as well as health insurance if you rv full-time-I was diagnosed with breast cancer at age 43, just turned 52 yesterday-so keeping my fingers crossed-but health care & health insurance while living as a (hopefully) full time rv'er within the next few years is a somewhat daunting thought for me, so I'd welcome any thoughts on those topics as well). As I sit, writing this, in my living room right now, I so envy (in a friendly way) all of you who are so lucky right now to be reading this from your rv!!! We really hope to be out there soon!!!!:)

My thoughts on the door being in front of the passenger - we got this floorplan in August and I will never go back. The livable space it allows is worth any inconvenience I thought we might encounter. And since we are not driving a bus with frequent stops for passengers to get in and out, there shouldn't be a steam of people trying to get by while someone is sitting in the passenger seat.  When I am the passenger I like the leg room. I can put a beanbag tuffet in front so I can sit with my feet up. When I am the driver I especially enjoy not having to keep telling the passenger to move backso I can see my mirrors.  My 2?.

Hello All-Army and welcome to The RV Forum.

Dinette booths have a lot of storage under the seats. Free-standing look more like the dining setup you'd have in your house and you can move the chairs around if you need to. For us, the storage space is more important than than the chairs. There are also units with good storage along the wall and a table attached to the wall with free standing chairs so you still get a bunch of storage.

Laundry unit in the RV will take away storage space. Decide if you can live without that storage. Personally, I like doing 4 loads at a time at the laundromat and then putting it all away at once. But there have been times when I really only needed one little load and a coach washer/dryer unit would have been handy.

Look at a lot of floorplans, look around at the storage and think where you would put all your "stuff," sit down and think about the living space and imagine being there on a rainy day. And enjoy the shopping experience....it's fun.

Wendy
US Army 1975-1978

We got our washer/dryer installed a couple of weeks ago. Love it!  I don't notice any loss of storage because we knew all along we would be getting the washer unit, so that nice big cabinet is not something I came to depend on.  It was almost empty when it came time for the installation.  It was nice though for storing all the Christmas presents we took our kids.

Interesting questions.  We looked at many different makes and models before buying our MH, moving up from a tt with bunk beds for the Grandkids when they visit.  NO MORE.  We bought a 2012 Thor Challenger 37 KT.  If you look up this floor plan you will see several options, that for US, were the deciding factors.  A King size bed which eliminated the choice of a washer dryer, a convienence but not a necessity for US.  I hated the table and bench set, never comfortable for US.  The table and chairs are very comfortable and seat four easily for a sit down dinner.  The entrance door towards the front also act as a devider for the living room and Queen size couch/ bed.  The two sliding glass doors allow privacy if quests(grandkids) are sleeping over or traveling with us.  We only take two at a time and never brother and sister!  Boy cousins or girl cousins.  We do give thought to upgrading some day to a DP but after looking at hundreds of MH's at several of the largest RV show we have yet to find a floor plan we like better that ours.I like being able to sit and watching tv straight in front of me, not having to turn by head sidways.  We spend about eight months on the road, six during the summer when we leave our S & B in Florida and two when we go to Rallies or spend time at some of the great places here in Florida. I hopefully have articulated the fact that putting aside the mechanical issues, its for US, all about being comfortable.

Wendy said:
Personally, I like doing 4 loads at a time at the laundromat and then putting it all away at once. But there have been times when I really only needed one little load and a coach washer/dryer unit would have been handy.

If you need to just do one quick load, you could get a wonderwash.  I have one.  It works surprisingly well at quickly washing a few things, I've found, though it could be built a little sturdier.  It's inexpensive though, at least. 

http://www.laundry-alternative.com/products/Wonderwash.html

Thank you for all your thoughts on these points! This is a great website, so helpful!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom