WY needs water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
It's been around 89-90 degrees almost since we arrived here in Star Valley, WY. Today the temp dropped to 74 and we had a good downfall of rain, more tomorrow, but not enough. When we drove around the Palisades reservoir en route to Idaho Falls a few days ago, it was obvious that rain/snowfall is desperately needed.

That's typical of much of the west these days, Tom, although I have to say that when I drove to Santa Fe and back last week, it was a beautiful green over areas that normally are brown -- it's been years since I saw New Mexico so green.

That's typical of much of the west these days, Tom, although I have to say that when I drove to Santa Fe and back last week, it was a beautiful green over areas that normally are brown -- it's been years since I saw New Mexico so green.
Agreed Larry.

Camped in the Manzanos a few weeks ago (near Mountainaire NM) and even the doghead fire burn scar was covered in green. Last weekend we got over an inch and a half of rain in my gauge here in ABQ. Compared to most places that doesn't seem like much but it's a double digit percentage of what we see in a year. Heading north towards Cuba NM in a week, looking forward to highs that aren't triple digits.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Here in north TX we are having grass fires all over due to the hot weather and high temperatures. We have had 41 days over 100° and 21 of them in a row. It has now been 62 days since the last measurable rain. Today we have a "cold front" and they only expect it to reach 98° but still no rain expected. There have been several grass fires in the Dallas/Ft Worth suburbs that have burned multiple houses with the worst destroying 9 and damaging 17 more.
Balch-Springs-Fire.jpg

Did anyone see the news out of Death Valley yesterday?

There is a post on this already. The park is completely closed to recreational use right now, per the Superintendent’s briefing this afternoon. They hope to open part of it on Tuesday using a partially repaired Route 190. Some roads may take months to repair.

ETA I found the post on the forum. Not a good time to go to Death Valley (8-6-22)

It is much the same here in western Louisiana, very dry summer and very hot starting in June with daily highs approaching 100F all during June, something that normally does not happen until July or August. I don't know how many days we have went without rain, but it has been too many, the ponds of the family cattle ranch are down 3-4 feet. Thankfully we started getting a few afternoon thermal thunderstorms a couple of weeks ago, but it is not enough, with only a tenth of an inch of rain every couple of days during the all too brief afternoon showers. It has cooled things off a bit and revived the dying grass some, but the water levels in the ponds are still dropping. If we don't start getting more rain soon, having enough hay to feed the cattle through the winter will be a real concern.

Back
Top Bottom