X Post -- Intro and Zion/Bryce Canyon/Durango Campgrounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KMWelcome

Hi Y'all...
I am new (for the second time) to this board and am very happy to be here.  I was a member 5 - 7 years ago when I was still investigating/dreaming about the full time lifestyle. 

A bit about us -- my husband, Roger and I, have been part-timing for three years, after a little over two years of full-timing.  We loved full-timing and it fulfilled a lifelong dream of mine.  Well, no one I knew in Oakland, where I grew up, had anything like an RV, but we always camped and I always thought it would be very cool to have traveled across the west in a covered wagon.  As I got older, I realized a soft bed and a daily shower would be necessary -- and I "discovered" RV's.

Unending health problems for me forced us to stay in one place after 2 1/2 yrs on the road, so we ended up buying a house on Lake LBJ in the Texas Hill Country, near Marble Falls.  I had claimed Austin as home most of my adult life, so was familiar with the area.  While I surely miss some aspects of full-timing, Roger loves his garage and I love being on the lake, so this is working for us. I particularly like taking my jet ski out during the week when the lake is nearly empty.

We travel in a 34' Travel Supreme 5th wheel 4 - 6 months a year.  Only New England is left for us to explore for the first time, given today's diesel prices, it seems damn far from Central TX.  So one of our trips this year will be 6 weeks in southwestern Utah and Colorado.    I am looking at RV Parks close to Zion and not too far from [i]Bryce Canyon[/i], which means the Mt Carmel area. Zion Crest seems a  bit more expensive than we prefer, but Bauers Canyon Ranch looks interesting...anyone stayed there?  Also looking at Zion Riverside RV Park and Zion Mukuntuweep RV Park (a Passport America park, which is always enticing) in that area.  Where are we likely to spend more time -- Zion or Bryce.  Anything in the area we shouldn't miss?

What about Durango area -- any favorite RV parks there?  To jog memories, Alpine Rose, Lightner Creek, Cottonwood Camper and United Campground are listed.  We plan to take the Durango-Silverton railroad trip and do a fair amount of hiking, general exploring.  Anything we should not miss?  Any trails that you particularly liked?

We also will spend several days in the Taos/Santa Fe area.  Any favorite, not outrageously expensive parks there?  Many. many years ago I backpacked in the Santa Barbara mountains near that area, but it's been so long...

Well, thanks in advance for sharing your insights and experiences.  I look forward to learning and sharing from all of you.  We spent our first winter at Voyager in Tucson last year and can't wait to return.  Popsy (aka Bob) -- are you out there?  Say hi to Syd for us and tell her Roger is still struggling with kiln bubbles, but has done some serious research and learned a lot...we're getting there.  We'll write her soon. 

Thanks to Tom for help with registration.

Karen Welcome
Lake LBJ near Marble Falls

Hi Karen and Roger!

Welcome to the RV Forum.  Other can help you better with info on Zion and Bryce, but when you're ready for New England and/or Eastern Canada...I'm your guy!

Enjoy the Forum!

There are numerous RV parks in the area of Utah so you have lots of choices as to price and amenities.? We like Temple View in St. George.? Very convenient to Zion and several other worthwhile places.

In New Mexico, we have stayed at several Core of Engineers campgrounds.? They have water and electric sites for reasonable prices, and 50% off if you have a Golden Age Passport or other national park pass.? Go to www.reserveamerica.com to see what's available.? There are a lot of COE campgrounds in the SW and all are very nice, and are, of course, on water.

We rode the Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge RR last year and it was a delightful ride.? You'll enjoy it.? Ride in the club car if you can, it's the last car on the train and has beverage service and you can take great photos from the rear platform.

Alpen-Rose RV Park  DURANGO, CO
This CG has wide level pull-throu sites and is satellite friendly. I reccomend it.

rvv cg UT Kanab
RV Corral
clean neat, all gravel, no grass. big rig friendly. satellite friendly.
modem friendly
888-818-5330
435-644-5330
1.5 block S of 89 & 89A split.

rvv cg UT torrey
thousand lakes
1 mile w of torrey
heated pool
modem friendly/new high fee wi-fi
easy wide level pull throughs
435-425-3500

RVV CG UT BRICE
ruby's inn RV park & CG
just outside Brice canyon NP
801-834-5301

rhmahoney said:
Alpen-Rose RV Park? DURANGO, CO
This CG has wide level pull-throu sites and is satellite friendly. I reccomend it.

rvv cg UT Kanab
RV Corral
clean neat, all gravel, no grass. big rig friendly. satellite friendly.
modem friendly
888-818-5330
435-644-5330
1.5 block S of 89 & 89A split.

rvv cg UT torrey
thousand lakes
1 mile w of torrey
heated pool
modem friendly/new high fee wi-fi
easy wide level pull throughs
435-425-3500

RVV CG UT BRICE
ruby's inn RV park & CG
just outside Brice canyon NP
801-834-5301

Ditto to all of Russ' recommendations.  We stayed at Ruby's and made a a day drive to Zion.  Get to Zion early.  The parking lot was full by 10 am.
BB

We just stayed at Zion Canyon Campground in Springdale, 1/2 mi. from the Zion National Park entrance.? There is a free Springdale shuttle stop right at the campground that takes you in and out of the park, as well as up and down the town of Springdale.? It was very convenient and the shuttle system was well run.? I originally had reservations at Zion River Resort, about ten minutes south of Springdale, with no access to the free shuttle system.? After deciding that this RV park would be inconvenient, not to mention almost double the price, we decided on Zion Canyon Campground.? Zion River Resort would be fine if you had a car to explore the area, and price was not a concern.? It does look like a nice place.?

I realize that your trip was last year, but though I'd offer my findings.

Where did you end up staying??

Back
Top Bottom