Xantrex Freedom 458 Inverter keeps cutting out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

majicchuck

A couple days ago my xantrex inverter started acting up. I don?t use the inverter part. While plugged into shore power the microwave tripped the breaker at the outside post. I reset breaker but eveytime I plug coach in-the outside outlet trips. I unplugged the tv, microwave and still have same issue. The generator works fine. I changed the 30 amp breaker inside the coach thinking that was the issue. No change. :-\

The batteries are only two months old. Water level is right and connections are tight. Checked for loose wiring. Opened front panel of inverter and wiring looked fine. At a lost why it powers up for 15 seconds and then cuts out. The inverter gets slightly louder just as it turns off. Hoping its not shot. Only use it to charge coach. Any ideas?

I don't understand the problem. You heading is about the inverter, but the problem seems to be the Shore power breaker tripping.
Why do you think the problem is the inverter. Is it the breaker on the inverter that is tripping?

If it is the shore power breaker and the generator works OK, then I would suspect a problem with your shore power cord.

Ken & Sheila said:
I don't understand the problem. You heading is about the inverter, but the problem seems to be the Shore power breaker tripping.
Why do you think the problem is the inverter. Is it the breaker on the inverter that is tripping?

If it is the shore power breaker and the generator works OK, then I would suspect a problem with your shore power cord.

The breaker at the pedestal keeps tripping. I will check power cord again.

My first guess is the 30amp breaker is bad at the post. Not unusual. Breakers wear out especially in campgrounds. Breakers are not really intended to be used as switches being turned on and off all the time. Contacts or mounting post get wore and become loose then generate arching and cause it to get hot and trip.

Ghostman said:
My first guess is the 30amp breaker is bad at the post. Not unusual. Breakers wear out especially in campgrounds. Breakers are not really intended to be used as switches being turned on and off all the time. Contacts or mounting post get wore and become loose then generate arching and cause it to get hot and trip.

I initially thought that as well. I plugged into two different posts with same result.

If you are sure it is not at the post but it does fine on generator. I would start at the ATS. If it was something in the coach it should trip the breaker on the generator also. Maybe something is shorting somewhere in the ATS. Just a thought.

Shore cord problem, including where the shore cord is switched by the ATS.

What have you done so far to verify that the shore cod isn't damaged internally? Do continuity tests on it to look for an internal short.  It's common to develop problems where the plug attaches, for  example.

majicchuck said:
A couple days ago my xantrex inverter started acting up. I don?t use the inverter part. While plugged into shore power the microwave tripped the breaker at the outside post. I reset breaker but eveytime I plug coach in-the outside outlet trips. I unplugged the tv, microwave and still have same issue. The generator works fine. I changed the 30 amp breaker inside the coach thinking that was the issue. No change. :-\

The batteries are only two months old. Water level is right and connections are tight. Checked for loose wiring. Opened front panel of inverter and wiring looked fine. At a lost why it powers up for 15 seconds and then cuts out. The inverter gets slightly louder just as it turns off. Hoping its not shot. Only use it to charge coach. Any ideas?
Your signature shows you have a 38' Bounder, which would lead me to believe your RV is wired for 50 amps.  Is your rig 50amp and are you using a dogbone adapter from a 50amp cord to the 30amp shore power connector?

majicchuck said:

Your post is unclear. More specific details will help understand what is happening.
You state that the microwave trips the shore power breaker.  Then you state you unplugged the microwave and still have the same problem?

The 30amp breaker inside the RV....What is that CB labeled as being used for?  Is that the main CB for the RV?

Are you running any of the air conditioner(s)?  Is the water heater operating on electric when you use the microwave?  Do you have 2 air conditioners?

Please supply more details about this statement about the inverter:  "At a lost why it powers up for 15 seconds and then cuts out. The inverter gets slightly louder just as it turns off."
What powers up for 15 seconds?  The microwave or the inverter?  Are you saying the inverter gets slightly louder just as the shore power CB trips?  Or is the inverter turning off?  Are there lights or indicators on the inverter that change as the problem occurs? 

The inverter should have an internal transfer switch(s) which transfers from shore power to inverter power.  If the inverter senses an overload on its 120V output it will show an error and turn off the 120V to the microwave as well as the 120V outlets in the RV. However this should not trip the shore power CB unless you have other things running on 30amp shore power such as the air conditioner or water heater.

What model and wattage generator do you have? 

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Shore cord problem, including where the shore cord is switched by the ATS.

What have you done so far to verify that the shore cod isn't damaged internally? Do continuity tests on it to look for an internal short.  It's common to develop problems where the plug attaches, for  example.

Yes it seems to be issue with power cord. Thought it was bad dogbone adapter. Just got new adapter. It continues to cut out. Taking for service tomorrow.

AStravelers said:
Your signature shows you have a 38' Bounder, which would lead me to believe your RV is wired for 50 amps.  Is your rig 50amp and are you using a dogbone adapter from a 50amp cord to the 30amp shore power connector?

Yes it is a 50 amp. Changed out dogbone adapter and converter keeps turning off and tripping outlet at post.

Please explain more why you say "converter keeps turning off".  Of course the converter isn't functional when the breaker on the post outlet trips, so what else is happening at the converter?    Are you saying the Freedom 458 shifts to inverter mode when power is lost, and then it shuts itself off?  Is it simply overloaded (too many amps  of load)?  Does it shut off, or does its breaker trip (the little button on the panel)?

Indications are you have an internal short or overload inside the RV, but maybe also a problem with the shore cord. Any problem internal to the RV should trip a breaker in the RV when on shore power, so tripping the breaker on the post implies a problem between the RVs load center (breaker box) and the campsite outlet.

Sorry to ask so many questions, but problems like this require a lot of details and a methodical approach to eliminate potential causes step by step.

The OP states is is using a dogbone  adapter and he has a 50 amp RV. This implies he is trying to run too much stuff on the 30 amp limit post he is plugged into (ie an overload).... Could also be a defective c/b on the post (IE well used!!) The internal C/B would be two 50 amp breakers which would not blow (should not blow) before the 30 amp post.

Did everything ever work on this particular post in the near past or did the problem start on your first use of this particular post?? If you turn off the two 50 amp breakers in the RV isolating the RV, plug in, then turn on the 50 amp breakers one at a time you might be able isolate the problem somewhat.

majicchuck said:
Yes it seems to be issue with power cord. Thought it was bad dogbone adapter. Just got new adapter. It continues to cut out. Taking for service tomorrow.
I'm guessing he decided this troubleshooting is more involved than they wish to handle and is taking it in for service.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Please explain more why you say "converter keeps turning off".  Of course the converter isn't functional when the breaker on the post outlet trips, so what else is happening at the converter?    Are you saying the Freedom 458 shifts to inverter mode when power is lost, and then it shuts itself off?  Is it simply overloaded (too many amps  of load)?  Does it shut off, or does its breaker trip (the little button on the panel)?
-I just meant that the post breaker kept tripping. The system is not overloaded. I unplugged appliances to see if that made a difference.

Indications are you have an internal short or overload inside the RV, but maybe also a problem with the shore cord. Any problem internal to the RV should trip a breaker in the RV when on shore power, so tripping the breaker on the post implies a problem between the RVs load center (breaker box) and the campsite outlet.
-Actually come to find out, the power cord is fine. Took it to RV service center and the plug worked fine. This means the problem is outlet at the storage facility. It seems to be limiting output. Anyway, the facility electrician is supposed to address within the next few days. Seems another RV owner had issues with their site outlet.

Sorry to ask so many questions, but problems like this require a lot of details and a methodical approach to eliminate potential causes step by step.
-No problem. I appreciate the thoughtful questions. Always willing to learn. :)

Is the outlet 30A, 15A or ?    Is there are breaker at the outlet, or is it in a panel somewhere near by?  The reason I ask is that typically a storage site is 15A and on a circuit that has more than one outlet. You are not guaranteed to get the full 15A at each and every outlet - others may be sharing a single 15A circuit.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Is the outlet 30A, 15A or ?    Is there are breaker at the outlet, or is it in a panel somewhere near by?  The reason I ask is that typically a storage site is 15A and on a circuit that has more than one outlet. You are not guaranteed to get the full 15A at each and every outlet - others may be sharing a single 15A circuit.

I agree. I thought we were talking about a CG power supply the whole time. If it is a storage facility I highly doubt there is enough amperage to run a RV. Usually very minimal service unless it is built for RVs and Boats.

Gary RV_Wizard said:

Pretty sure it?s 15 amp. There is a breaker in the outlet. The staff told me to only plug into the bottom outlet. Yes I am aware in the fluctuation in voltage. I was finally able to plug in at storage site and have power.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom