Xantrex Truecharge2 battery charger fan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andonso

I have a Truecharge2 20 amp (TC2012) Battery charger and wondering if it's normal for the fan to run all the time?

The optional temperature probe and remote panel have no control of the fan? The fan normally runs all the time and there is no fan control circuit to determine when fan should be running?

The fan is controlled by a second temp probe.. And it runs on 12 volts not 120.. So if the compartment is HOT (LIke from sun shining on it) the fan will run.

Of if the Thermostat is shorted.. If it is a variable speed fan (not likely) the control transistor cand do it too but for that kind of device it is not normally vari-speed like it would be on a high end computer.

It's a thermostatic-controlled fan, so not unusual if the compartment is warm or the unit is putting out a lot of amps.  I'd check the air intakes in the Truecharge to make sure they aren't clogged with dust and the battery(s) to be sure they are low on electrolyte (need water) or maybe just in poor condition. If the battery won't take a charge, the Truecharge will work up a sweat trying to push amps into it non-stop.

I'm in the Northwest next to the Pacific Ocean and it's been rainy and very windy lately. Temperatures here have been in the low to mid 50s night and day. 

The charger is currently connected to a starting battery for a Jeep (Grand Cherokee) and sitting on the engine with the hood close. The starting  battery is less than 3 months old. I'm testing the charger to determine if it's working properly.

After putting the charger on the nearly new battery (electrolyte levels checked) overnight. The Truecharge2 eventually went  into float mode.  It charged the starting battery overnight in float mode. The next day checking on the battery the fan was running and all the indicators showed that the charger was charging properly. The battery appeared to be completely charged with the charger in float mode.

However there was a red error light and FAN light blinking. So I disconnected the AC and battery cables, waited and reconnected. After reconnecting AC and DC the error light never never came back on the next day or two.

After a day, day and a half or two,  I checked the charger this morning and the fan error light is on again (red error and fan light blinking)

Unplugged AC and DC, replugged back in and no error light.

I suppose the storm and wind may be effecting AC (PUD) with brief loss of AC . Perhaps is effecting fan operations, causing an error which has only occurred when it's stormy with high winds and rain. I'm in sorta a rural area with small farms, fishing, etc. During storms If the PUD doesn't go out completely it sometimes flickers for brief moments "sometimes" enough to shut down equipment without battery backup.

Every time I check on the Truecharge the fan is always running. (even though it's 50 degs. and the engine compartment is cold. The  vent appears to be clean, there is some light dust where the battery cables connect. I haven't dissembled anything to inspect the charger, its fan and internals.

I have an extension cord connected to charger possibly the high winds effected the AC connection? When the error light is on I need to remove both AC and DC then reconnect for the error light to go out. If only the AC is removed the error light remains when AC is plugged back in.

The fan error light came back on so I'm wondering if the fan is suppose to be on all the time and what's causing the fan error which doesn't appear to be effecting the charger from charging.

Settings and indicator lights

Charging output ~10
Charger Status "Charging"
Charger Mode "3 Stage"
Battery type "Flooded
Battery Temp. "Warm"

I'm thinking of getting a temperature probe and the remote panel but first want to determine if somethings wrong with the charger which isn't under any warranty.

Maybe closing the hood with the charger sitting on the engine is causing problems. Try leaving the hood open or moving the charger out of the engine compartment.

A fully charged battery, not connected to a charger should put out 12.6V.
The charger should put out 13.5V - 14.4V, depending on charge mode.
Check the battery with the charger connected.  The voltage reading will tell you if the charger is charging the battery.

It is entirely possible it is charging properly, but the fan / fan circuitry is messed up.

AFAIK the charger is charging ok, it charged up a battery and brought it to float mode. I have a Group 31 AGM I'm going to use to test the charger some more.

There's definitely  something effecting the fan, which as far as I can tell is on all of time. I'm going to move it to another electrical outlet the one it's connected to works but is cracked and needs to be replaced. 

So far I've not really gotten any definite answers from other truecharge2 owners how the fan operates. If it's suppose to be on all the time or processor controlled through a built-in temperature sensor.

I may call Xantrex to see if I'm able to talk with a tech support person and ask about it's fan operation. If the fan is on all the time, thermostat controlled, etc.

I can't speak specifically to the TruCharge 20, but all the Xantrex branded converters/charger and inverter/chargers have thermostatically controlled fans.  Per the manual, the TrueCharge 40 has a multi-speed fan that may change speed as the load changes, but there is no mention of fan speed or control for the TrueCharge 20.  It may be that it is a constant speed, always on fan. Hopefully a call to Xantrex support can get a definitive answer.

I found a new "unused" Xantrex Truecharge 20+. It's a previous discontinued version before the Truecharge2. Cost was $75.00. Uses large heat sinks. But I think will do just a well at charging, plus it has a metal case, which I prefer over plastic.

Data sheet: http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Discontinued-Products/DataSheet/DS20060712JS_Truecharge2040.pdf

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/xQkAAOSw~sJcJmgW/s-l1600.jpg
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/fzQAAOSwk4RcJmhx/s-l1600.jpg
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/bxMAAOSwYTtcJmh2/s-l1600.jpg

So now I have three Xantrex TrueCharge chargers, (new/unused) TrueCharge 10, (new/unused) Truecharge 20+ and a (used) Truecharge2 20 amp.

I'm haven't figured out what to do with the Turcharge2 20 amp. There is an optional temperature probe and remote panel which can effect the charging algorithms but I don't think effects  fan operation.

The  Truecharge2 fan "seems" to be running all the time as I haven't yet  observed while the charger is on, the fan not running.

What I've decided to do is disconnect the case fan from the PCB (3-4 pin connector) and install my own programmable thermostat that will power the fan and turn it on and off from user low and high temperature setpoints.

There's plenty of these programable thermostats on the internet with LED redout of the the current temperature and setpoint temperature.

Each thermostat controller has a water proof temperature sensor that can be installed in dry or wet locations.

You can program them for either cooling or heating with a min and max temperature setpoints.

With some experimentation I would need figure out the best min and max. temperature setpoints.

For cooling I would program the thermostat to come on at I don't know 80 deg F? and then to turn off at a lower temperature.

I'm looking at one with dual led display that displays the current temperature and also a setpoint temperature, such as the temperature when the fan will turn on.

Some come with a case where you can install on the outside of equipment or others a face plate to install inside of equipment case, etc. They're  not very large in size and don't take up much room.

Some only display Celsius while other can be configured to display either Celsius or Fahrenheit

Most can handle devices such as fan, heaters, lighting, etc. up to 10 amps while other up to 20 amps. Which should be enough for the Truecharge2 case fan. I'll need to take a closer look at the case fan to see what it's power, current, cfm ratings are. The size and how it's connected to the pub it's most likely a 12 volt fan.

The controllers below should be able to handle either DC or AC, some controllers are 12Vdc, 24Vdc, 110 Vac and 220 Vac. You should be able to connect a 12 volt power source to the thermostat and have the thermostat supply power to a 12 vdc fan up 10 or 20 amps.

Attachments

• thermostat1.jpg
    thermostat1.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 2
  • thermostat2.jpg
    thermostat2.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member