XM radio prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
IIRC when I bought our XM Roady receiver approx 18 months ago it cost approx $100. Their promotion included a freebie home kit. Today I noticed that Costco is selling the XM Roady complete with the home kit for $79.99. If you already have an XM receiver activated in another vehicle (as we did in the Burb), additional receivers can be activated on their "Family plan" for something like $8. I really like the ability to move the Roady between the house, RV, boat and my car.

I tried to get a satellite radio for Tarry's car and the motorhome before we got on the road this time but ran out of time.  One of the installers told me that he had to put a piece of metal under the antenna on the roof because it would not work being fastened to fiberglas.  How is yours installed on the motorhome? 

Jim Johnson said:
How is yours installed on the motorhome?

Jim, I know that Marsha and Tim agonized over drilling a hole in the roof of their coach, but eventally bit the bullet. I merely lay the small antenna on the dash and rarely get any reception problems. One of these days I might decide to make it a permanent installation, but then I'd need to buy additional antennae.

Of course, the miniature coax from the antenna to the radio looks a little untidy draped across the dash, but it's not as bad as the GPS antenna cable.

BTW I put some velcro on the back of the receiver and some on the dash. Didn't want to permanently mount it in the coach.

Jim,

I have the Roady II and move it between the motorhome and car. I was going to put an external antenna on roof but we went from CA to OH and back with the antenna just on dash of motorhome. There were a few times it faded but then I moved the antenna to a better location on the dash. You have two satellites at equator, one east of US and one west. Once I realized this from a newsgroup posting I was better able to place the antenna for the day, depending on the direction of travel. Using the dash antenna can be a problem going north! But I have used it going up through CA north and never really had a problem.  Here in the SO CA area its great as we have repeaters.

Going across TX and OK on I-40, it got interesting. There is a built in process so you don't lose signal going under overpasses, but in the Amarillo area  they were spaced in such a way my XM became confused. Of course that passed the time as I was tracking this confusion and trying understand it. Never did! <g>. 

I love XM. I understand in November Direct TV is taking down there music channels and picking up some 27 XM music channels.

I have the home kit but have never bothered to install it so now with the Direct TV deal I would not need to bother.

Bob

Bob Zambenini said:
I was going to put an external antenna on roof but we went from CA to OH and back with the antenna just on dash of motorhome.

Same here Bob.

BTW great photos of your Italy trip.

Thanks for the info.  Guess I will try the  "dash  mount" ;D  With as much 'stuff' that is laying there it will probably not even be noticed. 

I also have XM...all over the place.  I have an in-dash unit in my truck now.  The wires hanging all over the place and the fact that the radio did not shut off with the key made me go with the in-dash unit there.  It looks much better, sounds much better, and there's none of the interference from the local stations used to tune the old external radio.  The old external (Roady 2) I now use in the house, and take it with me for the camper when we go camping.  Great dual use there.  My son also has one, and my Dad is also on my family plan.  I also have an old original Roady that I'm giving to my other son with a one year subscription for Christmas.  I love XM and haven't listened to FM in ages.  I hate having to pay for it, but in this case, it has been worth it, especially when traveling long distances.

Jim

>> One of the installers told me that he had to put a piece of metal under the antenna on the roof because it would not work being fastened to fiberglas. <<

I installed one on Fred T's.  Dutchstar & it works fine.? Mounted it just above the entry door & ran the wire down the window molding.

Terry
At Long Beach, CA

Karl

I'm not really sure what the difference is, but I just looked at the Delphi web site. It appears that the XT is slimmer and sleeker looking and it sounds like it uses a docking system. My Roady2 doesn't have a docking station, but I merely plug in the power adapter, antenna and audio output wires (or headset).

BTW if you're only going to use it in the coach, you don't need the home kit. All it has is a larger antenna with a long mini coax, a small stand for the receiver to sit on a bookshelf and a 110V adapter. IIRC the Roady2 came with only a 12V adapter. For $28 you could buy the Roady2 and use a generic AC adapter you probably have laying around (DC output = 6V, 100mA).

Heck, for $28 I might just hop over to WM and get another one so I don't need to move mine between the coach and the house.

Karl

I use a headphone jjack-to-RCA cord to plug my Roady2 into the surround sound at home and the sound system on the coach.

The 2-line display works fine for me.

Karl

I use a headphone jack-to-RCA cord to plug my Roady2 into the surround sound at home and the sound system on the coach.

The 2-line display works fine for me.

Bought one this afternoon but haven't activated it yet. Wally World salesman said it costs $14 to activate over the phone but free over the Internet. Guess which I'll be doing?

Found a mini-to-RCA amongst a drawerful of miscellaneous cables - knew there was some reason for hanging onto all that stuff :D 

Tom said:
Karl
Heck, for $28 I might just hop over to WM and get another one so I don't need to move mine between the coach and the house.

Sounds good....but. Each XM receiver has a different ID therefore you need a subscription for each receiver. That's why it's ideal to have one receiver and move it from vehicle to RV to stickhouse, etc.

Back
Top Bottom