Yahoo problem inquiry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carson

I hope this is an appropriate question for this forum.
I have been using one part of Yahoo for many years (finance page) without difficulties.
Since last week I am unable to login. The login procedure goes into a loop for some reason.
All my other websites requiring login are fine.

To troubleshoot, I cleaned out the cache and deleted all cookies, to no avail.

I believe that Yahoo is doing some maintenance these days on their E-mail system. I don't use their E-mail.

I can't even login on the Homepage, same thing happens.

Can someone enlighten me, please.
I am on broadband with a Dell win 98SE, all systems functioning ok. (Scandisk and defrag ok)

carson FL

Are you using http://my.yahoo.com/ for the link to your home page?  Mine is working so I doubt it's a problem at Yahoo, unless it's been fixed in the last 45 minutes.  What browser are you using?  You could try deleting the saved password for Yahoo and letting it prompt you for it?  Have you tried a different browser?

Hi Ned,
Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

First to answer your questiions: Yes, I am using the my.yahoo.com url.(have been for many years)
Am using Microsoft Explorer, latest version available for my Windows 98SE setup.

Do not have any other browser installed. MS is doing a great job for me on everything else.

The my.yahoo cookie is present in the system.

Here are my observations: No matter which method I use to access Yahoo and try to log in i.e. via
my favorites, direct address entry or google entry, the same thing happens. I am unable to get to the sign in box (the page cycles from sign i to Yahoo.com continuously, until I hit the STOP button.

Next I tried from scratch to sign in as a new user, using a different ID and new password.
  Yahoo page informs me that my system will not accept cookies. My system is definitely set to accept both 1st and 3rd party cookies. (I normally run 3rd party cookie prompts to prevent garbage cookies filling up my system, Works great)

Then Yahoo suggests I update my browser to the latest version. I can only surmise that THEY  have changed something recently. As you probably know, MS is no longer supporting 98SE.

I think I'll give up chasing this anomoly and find another simple Portfolio tracking page. Yahoo's Finance page worked really well for me, as I don't trade on-line, just track the figures on MY PORTFOLIO page. Have been doing that since 1994.  Go figure.

Can you suggest another tracking url? Have tried quote.com - didn't like it.

Thanks,again  carson FL

I would try another browser, Firefox or Opera, both free.  Something is apparently blocking the cookies from being sent which is what Yahoo is telling you and explains what you're seeing.  I suspect you're running IE6, I don't think IE7 was available for Win98, but you can tell by going to Help | About in IE.  If IE7, then there are some security settings that may have been changed and need to be reset.

I use myway.com for a home page and it has portfolio tracking and a lot of other configurable sections.  Also free, like Yahoo, but I think it's better.

I use Yahoo mail.  I've been trying to forward an email this morning with an attachment.  I click FORWARD and it takes me to a screen like it's already sending, and I haven't even said who to send it to yet.  But it's just that one email.  I figured Yahoo was doing maintenance or something.

Thanks, Ned

Yes I am using Explorer 6.1, latest version available to me.

Since I am not a heavy-duty user, I really don't want to go Firefox/Mozilla. From what I have read, they too have their quirks. I can only take so many quirks in my life  ;D

If I get a new computer with more than a 450mhz processor, I might be convinced. Right now I can't even download Shockwave. Just think of me being happy with what I've got now.

I just recently, last month, went to broadband (cable) and am floating on a cloud.
All of my technical problems with this forum are gone, everything works A1.

I think a lot of the dial-up ISP's are facing a hungry future.

If I ever get this Yahoo biz figured out, I'll report. Will look at the myway.com site. Thanks for the tip. (The only spyware i get these days is "my-way", probable is something else.)
Since I went to "prompt for 3rd party cookies" my daily spyware attacks dropped to virtually nothing from 10 to 20 a day).

cul  carson FL

Firefox has far fewer "quirks" than IE and better security as well.  It's also being actively updated while Win98 and IE6 are not.  Plus FF has tabs while IE6 does not, and until you've used a tabbed browser, you can't imagine how powerful a feature it is.  A second (or third) browser is also very useful for diagnosing problems such as you're having with Yahoo.

Like lots of other things it gets down to personal tastes.  In my case it tried firefox for a while then tried iRider.  FF is free while iRider cost a little.  I was so impressed with FF that I even dumped it off the computer and paid for iRider.  I did however reinstall FF when there were some anomalies occurring in hopes that I could help identify the problems.  FF is now history again.

IE7 or IE in general doesn't like me, have to type in same password everytime logging into any SMF forums, even at Simple Machines Community, doesn't matter if I clear saved passwords, it works the first time, logout, then login again I get password incorrect, overall, I am happy with IE.

Even though this is really not related to Yahoo, thought I'd throw it in. ;)

Hi Bill 42,
I am the one that started all this. Re your log-in problems, I had the same problem with several of my favorite haunts. Sometimes it would drive me crazy.

Wonder if you are on dial-up?  I was until recently and when I switched to cable broadband all my login problems disappeared. Smooth sailing + on all sites. I can even watch video clips now for the first time in over 10 years.

Just my way of bragging. Shud've done that a long time ago. My friends thought I was crazy sticking with dial-up.

Good luck,  carson FL

carson, I have a satellite connection.

My dad uses Yahoo and no problems, use my yahoo account every once in a while to watch videos, no problems, but we both login into www.yahoo.com

Just a little feedback on my Yahoo problem.
I found the culprit and all is working well now.  I run my system in the "Always prompt" for third-party cookies. Somehow, Yahoo.com got assigned to that list and was listed as "Always blocked".

I deleted that entry and voila, back in business.

Running in this mode, the daily barrage of spyware cookies is down to zero. My anti-spyware software program is unemployed: just idling  :D

The myway.com finance/portfolio page is great too, so now I have two.

Thanks for all the help.

carson FL

As I said, something was blocking the Yahoo cookies :)  Glad you got it sorted out.

However, spyware doesn't come into your computer via cookies, they are merely text files.  Spyware comes from executables, like ActiveX controls in the browser (one reason Firefox is much more secure than IE is it doesn't support ActiveX), attachments to emails, or scripts run in the browser.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom