Yeah! We own an RV .. what did we get into?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gpchicken

Long story short .. we've talked about getting an RV to customize for a while. One popped up that was intriguing, we looked at it, made an offer and now we're the owners of a unique 35 foot '97 Georgie Boy with only 10,498 miles on it. Not that it wasn't used, it was.. however just not driven far. See, it was originally built for a Police Dept as a Surveillance and Mobile Command Unit. On the surface it seemed like a steal. Has 2 5K Gens, 2 A/C's, a fridge, microwave and renovated bath with sink (note: the ONLY sink). Overall clean and ready for us to strip and customize. A bed and shower topped the list but now I'm scratching my head with a couple things that seem important and how to tackle them.

So, Knowing the wealth of knowledge that exists on this forum I figured I'd put them out there.

#1 Seems the factory thought with only 1 little sink in the bath they didn't need to add a gray tank. To me that doesn't seem like a big deal as we'd like to have a Nature Heads anyway. Then we just use the black for gray viola problem solved. Unless I'm flawed in that thinking please LMK.

#2 So, no shower and only 1 little sink. Again I assume the factory decided it didn't need hot water. So, no hot water heater and

#3 why add propane if you're not going to be heating water.

So there you have it .. NO GRAY TANK, NO WATER HEATER and NO PROPANE (which seems pretty useful).

I know there are electric water heaters but I've been without electricity thanks to hurricanes and a hot shower can be a real life saver. Then there's the fridge as well that's currently just electric.

Well ... that's where I'm at, at the moment. I sure I'll get some good feedback and please don't worry about calling me a dummy. Gotta be a newbie sometime to learn the in's and out's of anything : )

THANKS FOR READING!
Gregg ~

How about cooking?  How about heating in cool weather?

I think it is a bad investment. It will take way too much money and labor to make it a useful RV. It will undoubtedly need tires and a roof resealing so that is at least five grand. I think you have a pretty money pit.

This will be an entire labor of love.

In 3 months you will "LOVE" to know what you were thinking.

I would make a list of everything that needs to be done and price it out. It may not be cost effective to proceed.

Depending on how many $$$$ you gave and you dont mind a challenge I offer my congratulations. Propane tanks could be added or just carry the 25 pounders, easy to swap out.  You can add cabinets and if you hav an IKEA nearby they have great cabinets at a very reasonable price. Everything in IKEA is geared toward space saving.  Hope the old girl is mechanically sound but you know the tires will be necessary, wait until after remodel so they will be fresh and if you give up then you havent invested a fortune in them.
  BTW, where are you from Chicken, ours has become our hurricane bug out vehicle.

Congratulations.

So what are your plans with it?  You have electric, 2 generators, AC, a bed, a toilet..  Sure beats a tent or some of the other stuff I see in campgrounds.  I'd bet you got a good price, hence an impulse buy.  If I were you, before I started sinking any money into it, I would have it mechanically checked out.  You would hate to pour some money into something that had other very expensive repairs around the corner.  Look at the dates on the tires, them boogers are pricey. And realize that, this is a hobby, not an investment. You will never sell it and get your invested money back.  But if you end up spending a minimal amount on a RV that you have a great time with, only you can define what minimal is.  All of us around here will help you get stuff fixed (free advise), and we love spending others money  ;).  Welcome to the RV Forum.

Congrats on your purchase.. if you purchased this RV so you can have a hobby of customizing RVs then it's a good buy, but if you bought it for camping then you have quite a bit to do.
If you bought a REAL RV then you wouldn't post "what did we get into".... who knows only you know your own ability as far as having a shop work on it, it will cost a fortune.
Good Luck with your project and maybe we will see you in a campground somewhere in the future.

Thanks for the input, some good tips and totally understand the overall sentiment.

Was tuned up Jan 2018 and tires are dated 2010, getting long in the tooth but could be worse. Having an real mechanic look her over defiantly on the list.

Going in we knew this was not an overnight make over. Gentleman who had it was making a tailgater out of it however, we'd like it more for glamping. Done many tents and owned a VW Camper for little while so not too worried about "roughing it" without an amenity or two. That said, since we're demoing it now, why not consider if we'll "NEED" a gray tank or a full propane system. There are really so many cool gadgets out today. Shoot, I can't even remember life before my InstantPot, you can literally cook anything in it. : )

Yeah, IKEA : P - it's an option. It does have a fair amount of original cabinets (solid) only one I plan to toss was made for the original 27' CRT TV ..  lifted that out yesterday, WOW I forgot how heavy they are. - Tried to donate it to a thrift store I support. LoL, they didn't want. So if any one wants a 27'' Zenith and lives in S. FL it's yours : )

THANKS!
G ~

Just spit balling. Rather than adding a gray water tank, would it be feasible to plumb the sink(s) into the black water tank?

Well if you have already bought it I would clean it up shine it up and sell it and try to get your money out of it. I don't know what you paid but it was to much.
I have had a couple of those type of projects. Seriously you can save money and time and aggravation. Buy something ready to travel You can spend your money updating and improving but start with something ready to go. What is your budget?
You did not buy an RV you bought a special purpose vehicle. Converting it will cost between $25,000- $35,000. That is not counting the hundreds of manhours you will need to put into it.
I have been down that road. Save the money for going places and doing things.
Let me know what your budget is I know of several realey nice coaches that may need a small bit of updating, to make it yours, but you could travel this summer.
Bill

IBTripping said:
Just spit balling. Rather than adding a gray water tank, would it be feasible to plumb the sink(s) into the black water tank?

Yep, that's exactly what it does now with the bathroom sink. : )

Back
Top Bottom