Yellowstone Live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Posts
15,797
Location
St Cloud Florida USA
Did anyone else watch the Yellowstone Live series on National Geographic? Super good show with great photography of course. Four shows highlighting the wildlife and the spectacular geothermal features. They avoided showing tourists as much as possible giving a rather strange view of the park. They did do a lot of nice shots from a helicopter and some drone shots which were great because they are not allowed in the park except on rare occasions so the shots are pretty unique.

https://yellowstoneinsider.com/2018/07/16/yellowstone-to-be-showcased-on-national-geographic-live-four-day-event/
 

lynnmor

Well-known member
Joined
May 14, 2013
Posts
1,585
I did watch it but the "Live" part was a very small part of the presentation.  Yes, there was some great views done with equipment that is not allowed for the general public.
 

SeilerBird

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Posts
15,797
Location
St Cloud Florida USA
Yes, I thought the live part was basically a gimmick but still it was a worthwhile program to watch, even with all the massively over saturated colors.
 

John Stephens

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 27, 2015
Posts
920
Location
Cape Coral, FL
I watched all four shows because we are planning on spending two weeks in Yellowstone next summer. The most disappointing thing about the shows was realizing that the best photography they showed was from helicopters and as tourists, you won't have the ability to see those shots. But it opened my eyes to a lot I didn't know existed in the park, and that is why I watched it; to get ideas of things to do and see I didn't know about before.
 

Crossfaced

New member
Joined
Aug 12, 2018
Posts
1
John Stephens said:
I watched all four shows because we are planning on spending two weeks in Yellowstone next summer. The most disappointing thing about the shows was realizing that the best photography they showed was from helicopters and as tourists, you won't have the ability to see those shots. But it opened my eyes to a lot I didn't know existed in the park, and that is why I watched it; to get ideas of things to do and see I didn't know about before.
As someone who has been to Yellowstone every other year for the past 16 years this show did no justice to what seeing Yellowstone is really like in person. So no need to worry. You will still be amazed.

Personally I thought the show was terrible. It was like watching Live PD with animals. Also they miserably failed with their choice of hosts and guests. The real, well known Yellowstone experts were not invited to participate in the show. So many wolf, bison, ecologists and geologists were left out. It was a shame actually. It was a joke!
 

arcticfox2005

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 18, 2011
Posts
689
I agree with Crossfaced - I thought the show was awful at best. The two hosts could not have been worse and overall, after the end, I was asking myself "why did I waste my time on this?"
 

mel s

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2014
Posts
836
SeilerBird said:
Did anyone else watch the Yellowstone Live series on National Geographic? Super good show with great photography of course. Four shows highlighting the wildlife and the spectacular geothermal features. They avoided showing tourists as much as possible giving a rather strange view of the park. They did do a lot of nice shots from a helicopter and some drone shots which were great because they are not allowed in the park except on rare occasions so the shots are pretty unique.

https://yellowstoneinsider.com/2018/07/16/yellowstone-to-be-showcased-on-national-geographic-live-four-day-event/

SeilerBird
:))
You can see more faster, and a lot more economically, on the National Geographic Channel than you can with an RV.
 

SeilerBird

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Posts
15,797
Location
St Cloud Florida USA
mel s said:
SeilerBird
:))
You can see more faster, and a lot more economically, on the National Geographic Channel than you can with an RV.
Yes you can, however it is not as satisfying photographing a TV screen. :eek:
 

jackiemac

Site Team
Joined
Feb 22, 2016
Posts
5,989
Location
Scotland
The BBC have done a few very good documentaries about Yellowstone too if you can get them then you should watch them. 

The first one was about the 3 seasons (not a typo) - Autumn, Summer and Winter and the other is Wildest Winter to Blazing Summer. 

I think there was another about the supervolcano too, but not sure if I saw that one.
 
Top Bottom