Yellowstone Park Fishing Bridge RV and Getting around without a toad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NaturalAngler

We are going to stay at the Fishing Bridge RV Park in Yellowstone NP, but not towing a toad.  Unfortunately, I am the only licensed driver, and so renting a car and picking it up is a problem.  Are there tour shuttle that stop at Fishing Bridge and take us to the most popular attractions such as Old Faithful and the Grand Canyon?  Is having a toad or car a must for a 7 days stay in the park?  Thanks if you can help.  We are arriving there in first week of July 2016

I would NEVER go with out my toad. There are 3 tours available then what walk or stay at your campsite? I hope you already have your reservations.
Bill

We stayed at Fishing Bridge and put 700 miles on the toad in 6 days.  This gives you an idea of the scope of territory to cover.  I don't see how you could do it without a car or truck to drive around in the park.

NaturalAngler said:
We are going to stay at the Fishing Bridge RV Park in Yellowstone NP, but not towing a toad.  Unfortunately, I am the only licensed driver, and so renting a car and picking it up is a problem.  Are there tour shuttle that stop at Fishing Bridge and take us to the most popular attractions such as Old Faithful and the Grand Canyon?  Is having a toad or car a must for a 7 days stay in the park?  Thanks if you can help.  We are arriving there in first week of July 2016

Call and ask if the rental company will "pick you up" like they say in their ads.

It is about 40 miles from Fishing Bridge to Old Faithful which is the closest attraction to Fishing Bridge. My suggestion is to cancel your reservations at Fishing Bridge and get reservations at an RV park in West Yellowstone. Well get the reservations first before canceling. You should be able to rent a car in West Yellowstone that would be delivered to your campsite.

Yellowstone is so huge (larger than Delaware and Rhode Island together) that we tend to visit it by section because you can't begin to cover the entire place in one day.  You will need a car.  One of the neatest aspects of driving there is being stopped because the critters have the right of way and they're walking around you or in front of you.  Of course, a "bison jam" might mean a 20-minute trip will take 40 minutes but that's Yellowstone and part of its allure.

ArdraF

SeilerBird said:
get reservations at an RV park in West Yellowstone. Well get the reservations first before canceling.

We will be in Yellowstone almost the same time and for all the reasons stated chose Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone. Made our reservations about 2 months ago at which time they said they were already getting booking requests. Definitely don't give up what you have until you have a guaranteed reservation elsewhere. Also, we're towing.

NaturalAngler said:
Thanks for the quick response.  I will have to find a way rent a car or tow my toad from Houston.
I would start now getting set up to tow a car. I hear people all the time on forums talk about renting a car. Some do manage to find a car. What are you going to do if there are no rentals available? This isn't a major market for rentals and the supply of cars is quite small. Think about this the attendance for Yellowstone last July was 758,790 or about 24,477 a day. You might not be the only one looking for a ride.
Re reading your post you imply you have a toad, so what is the problem with taking it?
Bill

I have a toad but was concerned with driving through mountains, and it is a long trip from Houston.  With the great responses from experienced RV'ers on this forum, I may switch to Grizzly Park RV and rent a car, but I am leaning toward towing my toad.  I will need it in Colorado anyway since we will be staying there for a few days. 

Take your toad!  We spend 2 weeks every year in Yellowstone at Fishing Bridge for years.  There is so much to see and do, you will need your toad to see the sights in Yellowstone and will want to explore outside Yellowstone too. 

We just traveled from Waco through the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier NP, Devils Tower, Mount Rushmore, and other places this past Spring. Traveled with a towed with no problems through the mountains and parks. Your profile doesn't have your vehicle setup but good chance it will work well. So plan your trip and enjoy.

I have been to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons many times and I prefer the Tetons. My advice is to plan to spend a few days at the Tetons. Most people drive right through without even stopping there.

SeilerBird said:
I have been to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons many times and I prefer the Tetons. My advice is to plan to spend a few days at the Tetons. Most people drive right through without even stopping there.

I agree. Too many people miss the Grand Tetons which is a great shame. Grand Tetons is our favorite National Park.

Yes it is a great shame but it keeps the Tetons less crowded. Many years ago I saw a video on the Travel Channel entitled The Top Ten National Parks in North America for Wildlife Viewing. Yellowstone came in third place and the Tetons came in first.

http://www.travelchannel.com/interests/outdoors-and-adventure/articles/national-parks-the-best-wildlife-viewing

There is a car rental place in West Yellowstone, but reserve early if you go that way.  I wouldn't worry too much about pulling the toad thru the mountains, I have a 35' gas and pull either my Honda Accord or my VW Vanagon with no issues at all.  Inless you have a Rialta and tow an F350, you shouldn't have an issue.

Yes Tetons are nice for hiking, for landscapes etc, but better?  Both are awesome and next to one another, so it just depends on what you want to do. 

I am a bit biased, I live in Yellowstone.

PancakeBill said:
Yes Tetons are nice for hiking, for landscapes etc, but better? 
Better by quite a bit. Yellowstone is a traffic jam. Tetons are prettier, easier to score a campsite, and more and varied wildlife. And the trees are all standing up straight.

I did Yellowstone in 2014 without a toad.  I used Enterprise in West Yellowstone.  They picked me up and took me to the location to complete the paperwork and drop off the rental agent.  At the end I went to the rental location and they took me back to my RV.  I saw many people try to tour using their RV, not recommended unless a class B, especially during peak tourist season.

PS.  Make your car rental reservation early.  We were there in August and I made the RV park and car rental reservations in January.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom