Yellowstone Route

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UK-RV

Hi Guys

We are considering the drive from east to west yellowstone next week, going thru the park.

Any advice on whether its a good or bad idea with a 38' RV plus car - especially at this time of the year.

Our route would be :-

10:30 416.9 Depart WALMART [321 Yellowstone Ave, Cody, Wyoming 82414] on US-14 [US-16] (West) 75.7 mi
Construction near Yellowstone National Park? (March 22, 2004 - November 21, 2006)
12:11 492.7 Turn RIGHT (North) onto Grand Loop Rd 15.4 mi
12:32 508.1 Turn LEFT (West) onto Norris Canyon Rd 11.6 mi
12:47 519.6 Turn LEFT (South) onto US-89 [Grand Loop Rd] 13.2 mi
13:05 532.8 Rest break (60 mins)
14:05 532.8 Stay on US-89 [Grand Loop Rd] (West) 0.2 mi
14:05 532.9 Turn RIGHT (North-West) onto US-191 [US-287] 14.0 mi
14:20 544.7 Entering Montana
14:24 546.9 Keep STRAIGHT onto Yellowstone Ave 0.3 mi
14:25 547.3 Turn LEFT (South) onto S Faithful St 0.2 mi
14:26 547.4 Turn RIGHT (South) onto Local road(s) 120 yds
14:26 547.5 Arrive Yellowstone Grizzly RV Park

Thanks
Paul

Paul:

We drove that exact route in July but if the snow reports I've heard out west include Yellowstone I would not want to repeat the trip now on icy roads.

Paul,

I suspect that time from Cody to the park is very optimistic.  2 to 2.5 hours was what we were quoted when were were in Cody a month ago.

Check with the Park as about now some of the roads may be closed for the season.? The road from Red Lodge to Cooke City closes on Sunday unless they get snow sooner.? I am not sure about the park but check as soon as you can so you are not surprised.? We have had snow in the local passes but so far it has not stayed more than a few hours.

If you cannot make it though that way, the trip from Cody to Laurel to Belgrade to West is not a bad drive, just longer!!? :-((? If you should have to come this way DO NOT go through Bozeman unless you have to do so.? You would travel through downtown, lots of traffic, rough streets and lots of lights.

Let us know if you come via Belgrade.

Paul,

Do check the weather reports.  West Yellowstone is predicted for showers/snow starting Monday and grading to snow on Wednesday and Thursday as the daytime highs go from 56F today to 34F on Thursday.  In short the weather will be really crappy and driving a nightmare.  Time to lose altitude and move south.  Winter is ecumin in I fear and winter in Yellowstone is justly fearsome.

Got chains?  :(

Thanks Guys

We are just about to leave Mt Rushmore area, where it's cold - very cold.

At least we got crystal clear blue skies for our pics.

BTW, if coming to Mt Rushmore get there as soon as they open as the shadows start to cover the faces from 11am, at least in October they do.

They had some snow overnight just before we got here on Wednesday, but nothing since.

We are in Buffalo tonight and will then make our decision on whether to travel to Cody or up north into Montana.

Paul

Hi Guys

Anyone know if we can park overnight at Walmart in Billings ?

Is it 6hrs, 12 hrs, unlimited or not allowed at all.

Thanks
Paul

When we passed through Yellowstone in mid-September there was still major construction on the park road around Fishing Bridge, which is were Rt 14 from Cody comes thru the park.  It was described as passable but very slow going and rough. That construction is not even scheduled to be finished this year, so it is unlikely things have improved. Now you can add the risk of ice and snow to that.  By the way, Park roads can be closed at any time if the rangers decide conditions are bad. Or they may also require snow chains on any vehicle that uses a a road.  You have to call each day to find out.

Frankly, I would suggest the longer route around the park and driving in with your toad. Or take Rt 89 south from Livingston, MT to Gardiner and enter the park from the North, where there is no constructon and roads are generally clearer. You can still get to West Yellowstone that way.  You still run the risk of road closings, but I think it is less than with the Cody route.

UK-RV said:
Hi Guys

Anyone know if we can park overnight at Walmart in Billings ?

Is it 6hrs, 12 hrs, unlimited or not allowed at all.

Thanks
Paul

Ten hours parking allowed in Billings Walmart.  If you are coming near Lewistown, Mt stop by Sam's Camp we are still here.

Thanks for the Walmart info Ron - are there 2 WM there, or is one a Sams Club.

Unfortunately, we will be around 130 miles south of you as we pass, so won't have chance to stop by - we are on a tight deadline to reach the snow at Yellowstone? ;D (it was actually very nice when we had snow at Yosemite earlier in the year, although the roads were clear of it).

Paul

Back
Top Bottom