Yellowstone RVg suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeinTex

Hello to all.  One year owner of a 31 ft Cross Roads fifth wheel.  Planning our first 'big' trip to Yellowstone either in late July of early September.

Looking for a good source of more detailed camp site layouts of the NP sites in Yellowstone and Grand Tetons.  In particular I'd hoped to find info that would show/indicate each site's parking length so I'd know ahead of arrival which sites will accomdate my rig, including the truck.  Not concerned about hook ups.

03 Dodge Cummins LB with 31' CrossRoads Cruiser 5th Wheel

Hello,
We're planning our first big trip to Yellowstone in our 31' fifth wheel.  We're going in late July or early Sep.  Reservation process wasn't real helpful in that they couldn't tell us how well any of the NP camp grounds other than 'Fishing Bridge' will accomodate our rig.  I've been searching on-line trying to find a source that can provide the camp site layouts WITH information about each site's parking length so I can understand in advance how many and which sites can accomodate my rig.  I've found general site layouts, but not the specific parking info.  If anyone knows of a good souce of this kind of detailed info I'd appreciate the help.

Also, I'd be interested in any feedback anyone has about their experiences at Yellowtone and/or Grand Teton NP.  September vs July experiences.  Obvious trade off is cooler vs warmer time, day length and crowds.  My wife and I plan to day hike and I plan to fly fish.

thanks in advance for any info you guys and gals may have to share,

Joe
03 Dodge Cummins LB, 31' Crossroads Cruiser fifth wheel

JoeinTex said:
We're planning our first big trip to Yellowstone in our 31' fifth wheel.

I like the RV Park at Colter Bay Village on Jackson Lake in Grand Teton Park.  There is a NPS campground next to it.  Both will handle large rigs.

Fishing Bridge is ok but OLD.

Canyon Village and Madison Junction have campgrounds that will handle large rigs.

My all time favorite is the Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone. 

August and September are good months to visit because the crowds are a little smaller.  I have been snowed on in Yellowstone on Labor Day weekend but not often.

Phil

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the RV Forum Framily.  Glad you found us. 

Personally I would recommend parking the rig in a campground in Cody Wyo and make day trips into Yellowstone.  In addition to seeing Yellowstone the Cody Museum in Cody is outstanding.  I also would recommend a day trip, without the trailer, North out of Cody on 120 to hiway 296 (Chief Joseph hiway) to hiway 212 then right over Beartooth pass to Redlodge MT.  Have lunch in Redlodge and return to Cody.  I consider this route to have more scenic quality than Yellowstone without the traffic and crowds.

I was raised in Wyoming and am very well aquainted with areas in Wyo.

However, If you are going to be in the area during the upcomming Forum rally in early July at West Yellowstone that would be a very enjoyable experience with framily.

I bought this book from Trailer Life Books: "100 Miles Around Yellowstone". Very interesting and helpful. You can get it online from Barnes & Noble and also Amazon.

Welcome to the RV Forum!? Your big trip in September sounds great!

Have a look at This Message on the Forum and follow the links to the National Recreation Reservation Service where you can access info for the parks you are intersted in.

Ron,

You are the second person to suggest statying outside YS and making day trips into the park.  My concern with that suggestion is traffic and drive time.  I guess if we go in Sept the traffic would be much less. In July August, it just seems like the added drive time would get old over the course of 4-5 days.  We'll give it serious consideration.
Thanks,
Joe

BruceinFL - I'll look for the book.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Others - Thanks for your comments.
regards,
Joe

We stay at the Ponderosa campground when we are in Cody.  I would suggest trying staying in Cody fo a couple days and see how it goes for you.  Like I mentioned before the Cody Buffalo Bill Museum is a great place to see and is only 3 blocks from the Ponderosa campground.  Ponderosa Phone nbr is 307-587-9203.  Plenty of room for your rig there we have a 40 ft MH.

Hi Joe,

Because RV Forum messages are threaded, and the message thread discussions are kept in sections relating to the subject under discussion, it is recommended to post a question on a given subject in only one message section.

By doing so, you ensure to maintain a discussion among Froum members who can provide input and insights into your request.  If the same question is in two places, people don't know where to post a reply and often willl bypass the discussion.

The Forum volunteer staff can help by merging the two discussions which will help consolidate the info you're looking for.
It's no big deal, Joe and the most impportant thing is that you have a good experience on the RV Forum and get the info you need.  Also please feel free to contribute your own experience to any ongoing discussion.

We'll be looking forward to your continued participation in the oldest online RV community !

Let us know if we can further help.  Enjoy the Forum.

My response and recomendations to your questions regarding Yellowstone area can be found HERE

Ron,
I clicked on your link and got this error message: "The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you"" Whazzup?

BruceinFL said:
My response and recomendations to your questions regarding Yellowstone area can be found HERE

Ron,
I clicked on your link and got this error message: "The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you"" Whazzup?

Sorry about that.  Apparently the message got merged with this topic after I had provided that link and my message did not get deleted.  I have deleted the message that provided that link.

Steve - Yes, got it, one message.  Learning forum etiquette and features.

karl (?) - Funny indeed.  Of course I meant difference in day light hours.

Joe

joelmyer said:
>upcomming Forum rally in early July at West Yellowstone

Ron,

Tell me more!

Joel

There is more on the Yellowstone rally in the events sevtion.  The annual RV Forum Yellowstone Rally will be held July 2 though July 10, 2005 at the Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone, MT.  Telephone number for the park is 406-646-4466.

Will you guys be able to attend?  That is not that far from Sam's Camp in Lewistown so if you get in the area please stop by.

Ron,

Well duh, after I sent the message to you I went to the Forum home and found all about it.

I generally just look at "unread posts since last visit".

>Will you guys be able to attend? 

Able, yes.  Camille hasn't expressed willingness yet. 

If we do that, I want to go on to Glacier.  So Sam's Camp is in the neighborhood.  Whatever Sam's Camp is.  Is it like the drop from your hookups you offered in Qz?

Joel

Joel,

More.  The full hookups at Sam/s Camp also include DIsh or DTV ready antenna hookups.  WIldlife tours and fishing available.  Just let us know when you will be coming.

JoeinTex said:
Ron,

You are the second person to suggest statying outside YS and making day trips into the park.  My concern with that suggestion is traffic and drive time.  I guess if we go in Sept the traffic would be much less. In July August, it just seems like the added drive time would get old over the course of 4-5 days.  We'll give it serious consideration.
Thanks,
Joe

Hi Joe,

Welcome to our forum. We stayed at Grizzly in West Yellowstone. It's about a 4 minute drive to the gates of the park. No traffic and easy access. I'd stay there again if I ever go back. The park is very nice and there are amenities in the town that make it very comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom