Yellowstone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff

Moderator Emeritus
I remember several discussions about routes to avoid at Yellowstone. We are planning on traveling from Cody to West Yellowstone on routes 14/20/191/89.

Do these work for RV's?

The only route I recall to avoid is Beartooth Highway (US 212) over the Beartooth pass.? We did it in the car from Red Lodge but don't take the MH there.

Jeff,

In a few weeks we are doing the same road, but in the other direction...yellowstone to Cody.  Are you aware that that part of the road in the Yellowstone is closed between 8 pm and 8 am?  It is open during the day.  Have you been to Yellowstone before?

Marsha~

Jeff Cousins said:
I remember several discussions about routes to avoid at Yellowstone. We are planning on traveling from Cody to West Yellowstone on routes 14/20/191/89.

Do these work for RV's?

Been there, done that, lived to tell about it.

http://joelmyers.net/2005/09_sum05/12_to_yellowstone.html

Joel

Just went that way three weeks ago only from Yellowstone to Cody and found it to be quite slow.
Spent over an hour waiting for the flag man? so you will have to be patient. Not sure what the traffic is like
this time of the summer, but I assume it is heavier than when we went through.
Good luck

Jeff Cousins said:

Do these work for RV's?

I don't know where you are now but just in case AVOID 14A between I-90 North of Sheridan and Lovell.  There is a hill on the Lovell side appropriately named OH MY GOD HILL.  Beautiful drive but best done in your toad not the MH. 

Second road to avoid with the MH is beartooth pass.  However, I highly recommend driving it in your toad. Go North out of Cody on 120 to Chief Joseph Highway 296 to Beartooth highway 212 to Red Lodge Mt have lunch in Red Lodge then return over the same route.  Better scenery than you will find in Yellowstone with no crowds.  Makes for a nice days outing.

Stay in Cody and visit the Buffalo Bill museum.

The route you mentioned is slow but ok just have to deal with yYellowstone traffic and possibly construction.

Hi Ron,

I want to make sure I know where you are talking about

{AVOID 14A between I-90 North of Sheridan and Lovell.  There is a hill on the Lovell side appropriately named OH MY GOD HILL.  Beautiful drive but best done in your toad not the MH. }

We are going East on #14 toward #90 not #14A, so we will miss that hill, right?

Marsha~

MarshaLassen/CA said:
Hi Ron,

I want to make sure I know where you are talking about

{AVOID 14A between I-90 North of Sheridan and Lovell.? There is a hill on the Lovell side appropriately named OH MY GOD HILL.? Beautiful drive but best done in your toad not the MH. }

We are going East on #14 toward #90 not #14A, so we will miss that hill, right?

Marsha~

If you are planning to go from Cody via highway 14 through Greybull, though Schell Canyon to Burgess Junction then East over to 90 yes it is doable however there are steep grades and switchbacks going up Schell Canyon and down the other side to I-90.  We did it in the Bounder Diesel but then we came down Oh My God Hill in the Gas Bounder ONCE. Very scenic drive but be aware there are steep grades and switchbacks but not as bad as OH MY God between Burgess Junction and Lovell, Wyo on 14A.

Which way are you planning on going on I-90?  If you are going to Montana another route would be to take 14A from Cody to Powell and on to Deaver then turn North on 310 and pick up I-90 at Laurel, Mt.

Are we going to see you guys at Sam's Camp?

Ron said:
Which way are you planning on going on I-90?? If you are going to Montana another route would be to take 14A from Cody to Powell and on to Deaver then turn North on 310 and pick up I-90 at Laurel, Mt.

Turning this around as I will have to do in mid-August - if one is coming from Livingston to go to Cody - it looks like it is best to go to Laurel then take 310 down to Powell and then into Cody on 14A - is this correct. The computer shows going down SR 72 at the branch from 310 but I'm doubtful that is right ?????

blueblood said:
Turning this around as I will have to do in mid-August - if one is coming from Livingston to go to Cody - it looks like it is best to go to Laurel then take 310 down to Powell and then into Cody on 14A - is this correct. The computer shows going down SR 72 at the branch from 310 but I'm doubtful that is right ?????

Going North out of Cody on 120, which changes to 72 in Montana, is another option that works well too.  Highway 72 connects to 310 just South of Bridger, Mt and changes to 120 when entering Wyo.  We have traveled both ways and either works well with no switchbacks or steep grades.  If we were traveling from Livingston, Mt we would go to Laurel then South on 310 to 72 and into Cody.

Ron said:
Going North out of Cody on 120, which changes to 72 in Montana, is another option that works well too.? Highway 72 connects to 310 just South of Bridger, Mt and changes to 120 when entering Wyo.? We have traveled both ways and either works well with no switchbacks or steep grades.? If we were traveling from Livingston, Mt we would go to Laurel then South on 310 to 72 and into Cody.

Thanks that's what I wanted to know. I wasn't sure how good a road 72 was since it's not highlighted on my map software.

All:

Well, we avoided 14A by taking Route 16 from Buffalo over the Big Horns. Long grades but not too many curves and some beautiful National Forest campgrounds. We spent the night at 8200 feet and had a beautiful cool evening around a campfire, $5.50 a night and free camp wood. ;D

Ron:

We are in Cody and plan on doing the museum tomorrow and the Cody Stampede Rodeo Saturday night. Will think about the drive up to Beartooth for Sunday.

Marsha:

I have been told there is about 7 miles of gravel construction. A couple of m/h's who came through today waited about 30 minutes. Over the holiday weekend the highway will be open 24 hours a day which hopefully will ease the crunch.

Route 16 was a good choice.  Much easier than 14A.  Hope you enjoy the museum.  It is very well done.  Take your camera when you do Beartooth.

Jeff

Glad to hear that Hwy 16 is doable from Cody to Buffalo with MH because we may be doing that on our way from Washington to MN this fall.? We have already done Beartooth Pass with the car so be sure to take your camera.  The first time we were in Buffalo we stayed at Deer Park CG and would like to stay there again since it has been 10 yrs+.

MarshaLassen/CA said:
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the info re the construction.  The national forest campground sounds really nice.  Where are you staying in Cody?

Marsha~

Marsha:

We are at the Absaroka Bay Campground on the east end of town. Free WIFI and friendly folks but pretty crowded this weekend. We leave here Sunday morning for Madison Campground in the Park; can't believe it but we got a reservation this morning for the 2nd and 3rd, $9.00 a night with Golden Age. :D

Hi Jeff,

Absaroka is where we plan to stay.  We need a clear sky for our Motosat Datastorm... ;D and that campground looked pretty good on the website 

Madison is a really nice campground, you'll like it.  I'm glad you were able to get some extra days.  We checked into the "Fish Bridge" (I think that is what it's called) campground for RVs; but really didn't like it.  The sites are close in and no view at all.  Last time we were in Yellowstone camping we stayed at Sleugh Creek in the Lamar Valley....lots of bear there; especially grizzlies; but the Lamar River is fun fishing.

Before we go through Yellowstone eastbound, we will be in Montana at a campground that is on the Madison River called "Howlin Moon RV Park".  It's a passport america park and is nice.  We'll be meeting our son and his family and doing some fly fishing.  The Madison river is a hard river to fish for me.  It's fast moving and the fish are really hard to catch.  Last time I fished it, I fell in and lost my fly rod....my fantastic husband pulled it out of the water for me and saved it.

Marsha~

Back
Top Bottom