Yellowstone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Guys

We are planning to spend a few days at Yellowstone around October 15th this year.

What will the weather be like around then ?

Do you see any issues with the following route to Pony Express RV Park ?

10:30 3728.4 Depart Billings KOA on Local road(s) (North-West) 153 yds
10:30 3728.5 Turn RIGHT (North) onto Garden Ave 0.4 mi
10:31 3728.9 Turn LEFT (West) onto S 27th St 0.1 mi
10:32 3729.0 Road name changes to SR-3 [S 27th St] 153 yds
10:33 3729.1 Take Ramp (LEFT) onto I-90 [US-212] 140.2 mi
12:36 3869.3 At exit 309, turn RIGHT onto Ramp 0.3 mi
12:37 3869.6 Take Ramp (RIGHT) onto I-90 Bus [US-191] 2.0 mi
12:41 3871.6 Keep STRAIGHT onto US-191 [W Main St] 6.9 mi
12:50 3878.5 Turn LEFT (South) onto US-191 61.1 mi
14:01 3939.6 Rest break (60 mins)
15:01 3939.6 Entering Wyoming
15:01 3939.6 Stay on US-191 (South) 20.8 mi
15:08 3945.6 Entering Montana
15:24 3960.3 Turn LEFT (East) onto Firehole Ave 0.1 mi
15:25 3960.4 Arrive 4 Firehole Ave, West Yellowstone, MT 59758 [4 Firehole Ave, West Yellowstone, MT 59758]

Thanks
Paul

Ive just done a search on the weather and it doesn't look too good.....

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KWEY/2005/10/15/MonthlyHistory.html

I cant get used to reading in ^F, but it seems that it will be COLD, VERY COLD !

Paul

Paul,

That link you provided shows temperatures in both oF and oC. Either way, it looks like it could be quite comfortable weather or well below freezing. Pack your thermal underwear and woolly PJs and be sure to fill up on propane. Hopefully the Montana locals will chime in on what to expect for road conditions.

Paul,

I would continue on I-90 to exit 298, Belgrade, unless you have an undying wish to fight your way through Bozeman city traffic, lots of lights and STUPID, UNTHINKING drivers.  On top of that the main street is no in the best condition with ruts and bumps and the lanes are narrow with parallel parking in the downtown section. 

There is a Flying J at EXit 298 and it is only 7 miles back to 191 although that is a2 lane road.  Overall it will take about the same time but the traffic will be much easier.  I would never again take an RV through Bozeman and I llive right here 8 miles away near the Flying J.

Also be aware that there will be few services open in the park and there may be snow that time of year.  Not sure of the winter forecast yet as I haven't checked but the park may also be closed to vehicle traffic if the snow is enough that they close the roads.  It is risky that time of year.  IF we have a good "Indian Summer" it will be great though. 

Give it a go and good Luck.  When the time gets close, contact the park and check to be sure.

RV Roamer said:
Al,
You probably drove up Rt 89 to Mammoth Springs from the junction of 191 near the Norris Canyon Rd. Would you be willing to take a motorhome on that road? Ours is a bit shorter than yours (36 feet).? ? I plan to be in Yellowstone a few days next week and would like to transit from? Gardiner (North Entrance) down through the park and out trhe South Entrance to Jackson, WY. However, a couple of forum members have advised me that route requires caution with a big rig. Would be interested to hear your opinion, if you recall that strtech of road.? I was on it myself many years ago but have no recollection of the details.

I believe there is no problem from 191 down to the South Entrance, but the northern half up around Mammoth Psring s may be a concern.

Gary - As You know from other posts I've made I spend several months each summer including this one in Yellowstone. The section from North Entrance to Norris ranges from rough to very good. They have just chip sealed portions in last several months that improved some miles. This section is traveld every day by large tour buses, 18 wheelers delivering food, NPS contruction trucks hauling dozers, etc and of course RV's. The roughness is both places where road has broken up fairly bad and/or it narrows on a turn, etc. These stretches are usually short. Summary, it's done by many large rigs every day.

Paul,

You could swing by Sam's Camp on your way down to Yellowstone.  We will still be here then.  Then you could take the same route from hear to West Yellowstone as Gary and Nancy will be doing this month.

We have driven our 37' Safari from Jackson Hole to West Yellowstone  for the past 2 summers .  There is absolutely no reason not to drive this route.  The roads are good and wide enough to accomodate a big rig.  We NEVER stay in commercial parks but always stay in the NPS sites in Tetons and Yellowstone.  Our last stay was in Madison campground which was beautiful and very close to the Firehole river.  Getting around the park is easy with a toad if you park in a central location.  We were always able to get satallite from any of the locations. 

Tom,

We have changed our plans for Yellowstone. We are not going to stay the the Fishing Bridge we canceled those reservations due to the fact that we did not want to be squeezed in like a sardine can since we will be there for 4 days and might have problems being able to have the 4 slides and awnings opened. What can I say we got nervous about this place from what we have heard. We will now be staying at the Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone. We are going to check out the fishing bridge by car and will report what we find out at the end of June if anything new I can add to the post.

Colleen

Colleen,

Grizly is a nice park. We haven't stayed there, but checked it out on our last trip.

Ron said:
Much better plan to stay at Grizzly than fishing bridge.  I am sure you will enjoy the park much more.

I've stayed at grizzly before and really enjoyed it. We will be there for two weeks in June (assuming when they open reservations on May 15 they follow through with an e-mail request I made to them). Price is high but the facility is top notch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom