Yosemite NP re-opens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BIG JOE

Yosemite NP will be re-opened to the public on 8-14-18. There may still be light smoke, and some restrictions may apply.. so check with the NPS ???

I noticed that highway 41 kind of acted as a fire break but I'm wondering what is going to  happen when it starts raining and washes all the dirt out from the mountainside like what happens on highway 1 in the Big Sur area. 

I suspect there are going to be some total washouts occuring.

Not just Highway 41, the main access route from the west Hwy 132 120 goes through a canyon in the middle of the burned area so it has the same or greater mudslide and debris concerns.

That's part of what prompted the Valley evacuation.  Two out of the 3 routes in or out of the Valley were closed or compromised, and the main fire was approaching the third exit route, Highway 120 from the north.

Arch Hoagland said:
I noticed that highway 41 kind of acted as a fire break but I'm wondering what is going to  happen when it starts raining and washes all the dirt out from the mountainside like what happens on highway 1 in the Big Sur area. 

I suspect there are going to be some total washouts occuring.

If we get a Wet Winter.. I'm thinking the same thing. Betcha CalTrans is too ? No ground cover to absorb and hold any rains... could be interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom