You know it?s time to drain the grey water when...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScubaCamper

Your son tells you water is coming up the drain in the sink.
Guess the wife wasn?t keeping as close an eye on the level indicator as I?d thought... :)

ScubaCamper said:
Your son tells you water is coming up the drain in the sink.
Guess the wife wasn?t keeping as close an eye on the level indicator as I?d thought... :)

As soon as the DW screams from the shower. Gets me jumping every time.....

when you come back from a bike ride in the park to find water pouring out of your rig!

True story... a few years back, when my youngest must have been around about 3 or 4 years old and our RV still had the new car smell.  We had only just recently arrived at the park.  As we were leaving to go someplace, probably on a bike ride
I was probably out unlocking the bikes or something
..and the kids of course all took their turn at the potty on our way out the door.

fast forward a while, I don't recall how long....

As I'm approaching the site, still from a distance, I see something that sparks the question..."why is their water pouring out from under the RV?"....then me in a mad dash, turning off the water at the hose bib, & fumbling with the keys to get in.  I thought I probably had a burst pipe or bad fitting.

Well, I found the faucet running slowly, steady stream only just barely faster than a drip as I recall....and the lavatory sink overflowing.  I'm pretty sure it would have also been overflowing from the toilet as well, since the lav drains into the black tank...and basic physics tells me that it would be...but I must have subconsciously blocked that from my memory.

Well it seems my youngest went last at the potty, and like a good girl, she washed her hands after.  Unfortunately, she must not of known how to turn off the faucet completely and neither DW or I went behind her to check.  :eek:

Fortunately, it was clear water overflowing and zero sign of anything else.  We had just pulled into the park so the tank would have been empty or close to it.  I'm also thinking that the water flow was slow enough so the heavier stuff all settled leaving the fresh water to float to the top....

Anyway, I took everything that I could open/apart, gave it a good clean up and disinfecting, and let it all dry out.  It didn't spread to other parts of the RV, and really wasn't all that bad.  There have been zero signs of any warping or any other issues....

So it was a good day because I learned a lesson.

blw2 said:
when you come back from a bike ride in the park to find water pouring out of your rig!

True story... a few years back, when my youngest must have been around about 3 or 4 years old and our RV still had the new car smell.  We had only just recently arrived at the park.  As we were leaving to go someplace, probably on a bike ride
I was probably out unlocking the bikes or something
..and the kids of course all took their turn at the potty on our way out the door.

fast forward a while, I don't recall how long....

As I'm approaching the site, still from a distance, I see something that sparks the question..."why is their water pouring out from under the RV?"....then me in a mad dash, turning off the water at the hose bib, & fumbling with the keys to get in.  I thought I probably had a burst pipe or bad fitting.

Well, I found the faucet running slowly, steady stream only just barely faster than a drip as I recall....and the lavatory sink overflowing.  I'm pretty sure it would have also been overflowing from the toilet as well, since the lav drains into the black tank...and basic physics tells me that it would be...but I must have subconsciously blocked that from my memory.

Well it seems my youngest went last at the potty, and like a good girl, she washed her hands after.  Unfortunately, she must not of known how to turn off the faucet completely and neither DW or I went behind her to check.  :eek:

Fortunately, it was clear water overflowing and zero sign of anything else.  We had just pulled into the park so the tank would have been empty or close to it.  I'm also thinking that the water flow was slow enough so the heavier stuff all settled leaving the fresh water to float to the top....

Anyway, I took everything that I could open/apart, gave it a good clean up and disinfecting, and let it all dry out.  It didn't spread to other parts of the RV, and really wasn't all that bad.  There have been zero signs of any warping or any other issues....

So it was a good day because I learned a lesson.

Oh no!! haha! I bet there were a few choice words flying out of your mouth - a vocabulary the young'n's perhaps weren't familiar with?  "What's wrong with daddy? he's speaking in tongues again!" lol

When you wake up to a full bathtub. Same story,  DW didn't completely shut off the
faucet before going to bed.  Without the tub (as small and worthless it is) we would
have had a much larger problem.  It was moving day so I bailed water into a not so full
toilet and went to the campground dump .  My stinky hose has probably not been
cleaner for a long time .  8)

when you go to check on a load of clothes in the washer and there is two feet of water in the shower/tub just lapping over the top.

Oh these stories are giving me pointers on what not to do when camping.  :eek:

There should be a section on camping mishaps. I?m sure most have hilarious (likely not at the time of happening) that we could all share.

I suppose it could happen to any one of us!  ;D

One of the best purchases that I have made is the portable dump tank. I have many times had to use it where we may not have a full hookup. I've even had people laugh at me as I was hauling my grey tank to the dump station. Only to later see someone have to unhook, take the camper to the dump station, and then come back to hook up all over again. Yep...I love my portable, laugh at me if you will as you're unhooking and heading to the station. Oh..and as an added note. I know someone who frequently had an always  full grey  tank. 3 kids and a wife in the shower will do that to you. So he figured that at night he could "trickle" his grey tank into the woods behind his campsite. Well, that lead to a lifetime ban from the Indiana State Parks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom