Young RV'er; Am I the Only One?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PancakeBill said:
I am with the forum Framily here in Phoenix at the Good Sam Rally.  Older definitely outnumber the youngsters, but there are some here including small children.  You do have to look hard though.  Rallies are a real filter though, because of when and where it naturally attracts the retirees.

Many Good Sam's Chapters have their get to gethers during the week, and that sort of excludes the younger campers.[They have jobs.] It's not because the younger members are not welcome, but many times that is the time when a large number of sites are available close together. It is also the time when many of the chapters utilize that time to spruce up their adopted parks, and week ends are difficult to do that due to many parks being heavier  populated. The wife and I like to ride so we usually end up with a lot of the grandkids who are there tagging along. I guess they just like to see those two "OLD" people riding their funny looking Tricycles.

Resurrecting this post..... Young RV'er... 28 Years Young, 97' 36Ft Monaco Windsor  Hoping to find some young people like myself who will be touring the south for Nascar/NHRA Races!

Marauder said:
Resurrecting this post..... Young RV'er... 28 Years Young, 97' 36Ft Monaco Windsor  Hoping to find some young people like myself who will be touring the south for Nascar/NHRA Races!

I'm not big into Nascar, but following the NHRA for a year is definitely on my bucket list.  Same with seeing a game in every MLB ballpark.

Welcome to the forum, Marauder!  Yes, you're probably in the minority among 20-somethings with a Class A motorhome.  Probably a lot more folks your age just starting to make the transition from tent to pop-up, but there are a lot of young RVers out there.  I certainly FEEL young at only 47.  :)

Similarly, I'm still among the younger "crowd" of RV'ers at 38 (+ wife and 3 boys) although a lot more families have trailers like what we currently own.  But we too started RV'ing in a large Class A motorhome when I was 29 years old, as mentioned in my post earlier in the thread.

Good for you.  Start early, earlier the better in my mind.

My wife and I tented it when we first got married but bought our first actual "RV" in 1992.  I was 23 years old and we purchased a used 10.5' Northland slide in camper for our truck.  We used it mainly for racing but did take the occasional road trip.  In 1995 we bought our first motorhome and are now on our third and don't regret it for a moment. 

We have been out of racing for quite a while now and are fortunate to be able to put about 6-7k miles a year and approx. 75-80 nights a year in our coach.  I am 47 now and my wife and i have been RVing most of our adult life whereas most people our age are still trying to climb that corporate ladder going deeper and deeper in debt.  Don't let your age deter you from enjoying and pursuing the RV lifestyle, but trying to get your friends interested in it may not work as it just isn't for some people.  Some just don't see the draw to it.

Mike.

zmotorsports said:
Don't let your age deter you from enjoying and pursuing the RV lifestyle, but trying to get your friends interested in it may not work as it just isn't for some people.  Some just don't see the draw to it.

Mike.

That's true.  I tend to be an enthusiastic salesman for RVing, but you either love it or you don't.  I am pretty excited that my brother just bought a motorhome, so we will have someone to go with.

Be sure to talk with those "older" folks.  You will make some life long friends.  Myself in my 40's and my wife in her 30's, we just bought our first TT a couple years ago.  We don't have to go far living in Flagstaff, but it's always nice to get out and meet people.  Get out there and have fun, and remember to check those brakes!

Wife and I spent our honeymoon in a Tent, a few years later got a PUP, then a solid trailer and finally, long about retirement time (over a quarter century later) a Class A  Alas, she is gone now.. but the Class A remains.

We bought our first trailer when we were in our mid 20's.  We rode dirt bikes almost every weekend and most of the places we went didn't have hotels nearby.

So, as they say, "been there, done that."

We bought our first Class C when we were about 35 and had a VW Westphalia before that.  Been RVing ever since!  About 44 years and counting.

ArdraF

Either our first or second year at Quartzsite with RV Forum friends (at least 20 years ago!) there was a young man from, I think, New Mexico (?) who joined us.  He was immediately included in all our activities and age didn't seem to be a factor.  Does anybody from back then remember his name?  Or, are your memories as sketchy as mine are now.  I think the love of RVing spans the generation gap perhaps as well or better than most activities.

My wife and I have RV'd since our early 30's, and I used to tent camp with my parents in my early teens.

For whatever reason, I spent much of my career working with "older" guys, and was often referred to as "young Tom". One day I looked around and realized that most of my colleagues were significantly younger than me and folks no longer referred to me as "young Tom", but nobody called me "old Tom".

My oldest son used to refer to me as "the old man", until I reminded him he was "only 20 years behind me". When his son started calling him "the old man", he reminded him that he (my grandson) was "only 20 years behind".

IOW age is only a number.

Tom and Margi said:
Either our first or second year at Quartzsite with RV Forum friends (at least 20 years ago!) there was a young man from, I think, New Mexico (?) who joined us.  He was immediately included in all our activities and age didn't seem to be a factor.  Does anybody from back then remember his name?  Or, are your memories as sketchy as mine are now.  I think the love of RVing spans the generation gap perhaps as well or better than most activities.

Margi,

I believe his first name was Bob. He also attended the Las Cruces FMCA pre-rally that the Judd's put on in Ruidoso, NM. Maybe that much information will jog someone else's memory as to his last name; I just can't quite come up with it but would surely recognize it.

R

Margi:  His name was Robert Graham.  He built and sold small steam engines.  I had a thought come into my head just recently about him, and wondered how he is doing today.  Don't know why.  Funny how the brain works.

Daisy

Our youngest daughter and her husband learned from us about the good life, by our reports of travelling sent back home.  The bug has bit them.  Both in early 50s sold their home last fall, bought a large 5th wheel and are spending the winter south.  Both are still working, he for an insurance company and she is a self-employed drafter.  They have figured out how to stay in touch with boss and clients electronically, and are making it work for them.  They still have free time to explore, but not the carefree way her parents were able to.  However, they have not been daunted, even though this was a winter they did not have to fear back here, as it was almost as mild as where they were.  They were just lots closer to the ocean.  They are happy to be doing what they are doing. 

Daisy

Daisy said:
Margi:  His name was Robert Graham.  He built and sold small steam engines.  I had a thought come into my head just recently about him, and wondered how he is doing today.  Don't know why.  Funny how the brain works.

Daisy

Did a Robert Graham steam engines search, found a Graham Ind. steam engine hit It appears that Mr. Graham's first name is Robert. Could be the guy?

Bill

>>Did a Robert Graham steam engines search, found a Graham Ind. steam engine hit It appears that Mr. Graham's first name is Robert. Could be the guy?<<

Undoubtedly.  Thanks Bill

Daisy

Thanks, Daisy and Richard, for remembering his name.  Thanks, Bill, for looking him up.  I notice his contact address is Rio Rancho, NM.  Sure sounds like the same fellow. 

When Robert came to the Quartzsite rally that officially promoted me from being the youngest person in the group!  I was in my early 40's and had owned one RV or another for at least 10 years when I attended the Forum's second Quartzsite Rally.

Robert had a new Dutch Star diesel pusher motorhome, and told me he was often pulled over by the police while driving down the highway.  Young RVers were so unusual back then that they thought he must have stolen it until they saw the name on the registration matched his drivers license.

I never had that problem with my cheap fixer-uppers ... no one in their right mind would even think of stealing them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom