Your faith as a Full-timer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

radio_earbug

Hello,

As a full-timer, are you on the go or moving a lot?  If so, how do you establish lasting relationships with others in a church community.

I am concerned this might be an issue for me if I plan on full-timing in an RV.

I would appreciate the feedback from those who are strong and those struggling with their faith.

A bit of yes and a bit of no on the moving  Wife and I full time but in the winter we tend to stay rather close to one area (Seneca, SC) and in the summer two areas at this time.

Now, back to topic: about 3 years ago Wife and I pulled into the campground where I'm parked on a Saturday.  Went to the web site that tells us where to go to church (For Catholics that is www.masstimes.org) and found one about 20 miles away (IN Seneca).. Sunday we got there around 9:30 (10am mass) and within 10 minutes was invited to join the choir.. So we keep coming back.  It is now my official "Home" parish.  Even though my "Home" address is in Western, Michigan.

They understand that come spring, I'm following the birds back north. 

And that is how you do it, You have one or two churches you frequent where they know you travel and will only be there "part time" but will still be going to church .. Just elsewhere.. .When you are not at "Home".

Edit: Political commentary deleted by Moderator

There is an inspirational and guidance phone number, I understand, for athiests as well.

You call the number, and no one answers . . .  :(

I've noticed that quite a few campground brochures list local churches for those who don't want to miss services and some even have services on site, although that's less frequent.

If you're ever in the western U.S. and come upon a "Cowboy Church" service, by all means go (they're often during rodeo week or other rodeo-related events).  We've been to a couple and have really enjoyed them.  Definitely not your "normal" church service but uplifting in their own way.

ArdraF

My parents full-timed for nearly 20 years and spent a long time after that going part-time. They attended church wherever they were, sometimes in the National Parks, sometimes regular churches. They found a lot of interesting churches and members during their travels and made a lot of friends. BTW, they also enjoyed the Cowboy Churches Ardra mentioned, including the one at Quartzsite.

Wendy

If you re-visit the same areas summer an winter, relationships are not much different than anywhere else.  Heck, one of my wintertime neighbors (a snowbird, as we call them), is a deacon in both his northern home church and his winter residence church.

But if you choose to travel often, or to different places, you probably have to work a little harder but it is still manageable. All groups, church or secular, love to have people who share their enthusiasm and volunteer to help. Newcomers are usually welcomed with open arms. I know a traveling coupe who do volunteer work most everywhere they go, even if just for 3-4 weeks at a time. Some of it is faith-based, some community service, and some just fun projects, like helping to rebuild and show old ships in Maine. As you can imagine, they always get invited to come back and spend more time - and labor!

We travel 6-7 months a year. Weare seldom in one place more than a couple of weeks. We have to see what's on the other side of the hill. We enjoy going to Mass at different parishes. We always feel welcome and try to participate in whatever is going on at the time. We have attended Mass with as few as 10 to mega churches. Never had a problem.

ArdraF said:
I've noticed that quite a few campground brochures list local churches for those who don't want to miss services and some even have services on site, although that's less frequent.

If you're ever in the western U.S. and come upon a "Cowboy Church" service, by all means go (they're often during rodeo week or other rodeo-related events).  We've been to a couple and have really enjoyed them.  Definitely not your "normal" church service but uplifting in their own way.

ArdraF
  I echo the Cowboy Church, they are very enjoyable.  Other than that we just go online and look at church websites and  try to find one that sounds like it will be a good fit.  Many churches have web sites and on their site is a mission statement and a belief page.  From that we usually have a nice visit.

ArdraF said:

Western US,, Western?

The one I found was in Townsend GA, Just outside of Darian GA, about 39 or 49 (forget which) Miles up the road from Floridia state line, 3 miles from the Darian outlet mall.

Though (per the forum expert on these matters, who by the way I believe) the first Cowboy Church was Presbyterian Bill Brown is Baptist trained.  The Baptists have a tradition of frindship and community that many churches would do well to copy.  The joke is "Praise the lord and pass the casserole" which is not far from fact. His Weeknight service consisted of some scripture, the obligatory listing of folks to pray for (Every church does this). A lot of music, either the local folks or on occasion professional Christian musicians. (The first time I attended there it was the Harris Family, and they were fantastic, We made friends right fast too).  And of course a lot of food (Pot luck) (That's the community building)  If I were ask to name the best thing about that church as opposed to others, it woudl be those weekly pot lucks.

Sundays I was off singing with my daughter's choir in the Catholic Church. but the Cowboy church, which by the way is on the same campus as Bill's RV park (Cathead Creek Ranch RV park) was something I wish to visit again, and again.

Yes, it's well worth the visit.    IT was a very friendly place.

In addition to all the wonderful options mentioned above, the Escapees RV Club has a BOF [Birds of a Feather] group for Christian Fellowship  and they have a website here: http://www.christianbof.com/

In addition, ask the pastor(s) of ant church you are active with to give you a letter of reference and then check for any website or available directory -perhaps a PDF?- of all the congregations in North America. The Episcopal Church put out a little yellow directory of all their locations in the early 70's that I had in my RV's through the 90's. With that reference letter in hand they'll be glad to see you in their community.

I just noticed that nobody mentioned the Nomads, bands of RVers that come together to do Habitat for Humanity builds. check the HfH site too.

And I have some friends that are doing what Bev and I had dreamed of doing, that's Fr. Glen and Becka DeShaw of RV Ministries and this is their website. I see they were at LaPosta in Old Mesilla on Friday nt and are heading for the SKP Ranch today. . .
http://stjohnskirkland.org/rvministries

If I can help any way, send me a message here as I've also been the Chaplain for the RV Forum for many years. . .

Most all churches are very enthusiastic about guests, newcomers and visitors.

Hunting Island State Park in SC has a minister on duty in a 5th wheel most of the year. He holds services every Sunday in the campground at an open air meeting area.

I ran across a truckers church in Kingsland GA at a truck stop.  It's held right in the back of the truck permanently parked there.

Also see:

http://www.rvchurchesusa.org/rv-home/locate-a-campground/

Some great ideas!  We find our faith bonds us instantly with many total strangers.  We often just check out the internet to see what churches might be available near to wherever we happen to be parked for a month or two.  Attended a Baptist Church, a Christian Church, a Calvary Chapel, and have felt very comfortable and welcomed at each.  If you don't feel comfortable, just a different one the following week.  You are sure to hit on a good match.  We support ($$) our longtime home church on a monthly basis, and leave a bit each week to the church we visit, as a way of supporting them as well.

By the way, keeping connected with others who share your faith is an important task, and it's always fun to make new friends!

Hang in there!  ;D

Here is a site I use to find a good church home no matter where I travel. Then when I return there I feel at home.
It is good for every state.

http://www.21tnt.com/roll/illinois.shtml

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom