Your opinion please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnBost

I an very green about the RV industry and have just started my search for a class A diesel motorhome.  Principle interest is a pre-owned in the 2007-2010 year range, 37-40 feet that will be used for shorter stays and possibly a Florida winter home if we sell our house there.  I have little mechanical experience and don't care to learn at this point.  So, one emphasis for me is hopefully to find a motorhome that is more dependable and easier to service when repair is needed.  My question and I know its a loaded one is:  what motorhomes would you suggest that I consider that will provide greater comfort, driving, over all quality and better reliability?  Your response is appreciated.

The most important question on any 10 year old unit is how well has it been maintained. After that many years they all need regular maintenance and some repairs which will get expensive if everything has to be donne by the dealer. Maybe you should consider new or nearly new.

johnBost said:
My question and I know its a loaded one is:  what motorhomes would you suggest that I consider that will provide greater comfort, driving, over all quality and better reliability?
There are none I would suggest for quality or reliability. They all require a lot of attention to remain reliable. A ten year old motorhome needs to be inspected by a professional to find hidden faults. As far as driving comfort I would suggest a diesel pusher.

When I purchased our 02 several years ago we were able to buy it well below book price.  That way I knew that whatever needed fixing, we could afford.  It has worked out quite well.

One piece of advice I would have is to find someone who is knowledgeable about RV systems to go over any coach you are interested in.  Run every thing in the coach.  Also find the date of the tires and make sure they are not over 7 years old.

There are a lot of older coaches out there that have been lovingly cared for, but some just look good.  Ask for maintenance records.

Always test drive.  If they won't allow it, be skeptical.

If it's a diesel a hundred thousand miles is really not a factor.  They will probably run five hundred thousand mile with proper care.

It all depends on condition as others have mentioned. Has it been stored outside or inside. Has it been maintained. Once you start looking it will be very noticable the difference. I have seen some 5yr old units that looked trashed and some 15 yr old units that look almost new

johnBost said:
I an very green about the RV industry and have just started my search for a class A diesel motorhome.  Principle interest is a pre-owned in the 2007-2010 year range,  I have little mechanical experience and don't care to learn at this point.  So, one emphasis for me is hopefully to find a motorhome that is more dependable and easier to service when repair is needed. 

Buying a well cared for used unit it a smart way to go financially. Buying new is not a guarantee of no issues, in fact you may even have more issues as even the most expensive RVs need to have the bugs worked out.

Regarding which motorhome is best, most are so similar that it really comes down to which floorplan you like and which has had the best care. If you're willing to wait for the perfect unit, do lots of shopping to see which ones feels the most comfortable, then wait for a single owner unit that was always stored inside and has all maintenance records. Then, no matter which you choose, set aside $300 per month for a maintenance budget so that when routine maintenance is required or when something breaks (and it will) you'll already have the money set aside.
Cooperhawk said:
I would agree with this if you buy from a dealer who has insurance to cover the rig while being driven by prospective buyers. If buying from a private party, I would insist on them taking me for a ride, however their insurance may not cover other drivers so I would be more understanding if they wouldn't allow you to test drive it yourself.

I don't know of any US insurance policy for a private vehicle that doesn't permit occasional other drivers, especially if the insured owner is present. If the policy asks to identify regular drivers, they need to be declared or it could be considered fraud, but allowing another licensed driver to drive for a brief period is no different than letting your neighbor borrow your car once in awhile.

Canada has some differences in their policy standards and regulations, so don't apply my remarks there.

If I was turned down for a test drive that would end the deal for me and I would walk away immediately. There is no reason to deny a test drive unless there was something radial to try and hide.

One thing to note here is that over the last 12 or so years there have been a number of EPA mandated emissions control systems added to diesel engines, these systems can be very expensive to repair.  The first of these was mandating DEF in about  2007 /  2008 depending on manufacturer, build year of chassis  vs coach, etc.

johnBost said:
I an very green about the RV industry and have just started my search for a class A diesel motorhome.  Principle interest is a pre-owned in the 2007-2010 year range, 37-40 feet that will be used for shorter stays and possibly a Florida winter home if we sell our house there.  I have little mechanical experience and don't care to learn at this point. 
In my honest opinion, if you aren't handy with tools, a 10 year "any-brand" motorhome is going to eat you alive in repair costs, to the point I think it becomes a bad experience for you.  A motorhome, or even a trailer, require continuous maintenance and minor repair.

If you are looking for a seasonal home in Florida, then get just that in my opinion.  Rent a seasonal home even, and avoid the maintenance costs altogether. 

Don't get me wrong, I love RVs, but that isn't necessarily a good or smart thing :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom