Yuma or Phoenix Campground/Restuarant Combo ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UK-RV

Hi Guys

Help needed please.

We are looking to travel to either Yuma or Phoenix tomorrow.

Our decision will depend on the following....

Are there any nice campgrounds (remember we are under 55, which eliminates a few) - which have a good restaurant which serves beer/wine LOCAL to the campground ?

We dont mind a walk of upto 5 mile to get to the restaurant (as long as there is some sort of sidewalk) and we can get a taxi back.

So, for those of you with local knowledge, any suggestions please ?

Thanks
Paul

Paul,

We have a number of residents of Yuma and surrounding areas here, so hold tight and someone will come forth with some suggestions.

Las Quintas is on the North Frontage Road just West of Fortuna and there are some campgrounds just south of the  South Frontage road less than a mile west of Fortuna probably about two miles from a Mexican restaurant.  I sent you our phone number maybe we could get together for dinner so give us a call.

Pueblo El Mirage is our winter quarters and has a restaurant at their on premises golf course.? It could be a mile walk if you end up on the other side of the campground.? It is billed as an over 55 park, but they allow under 55 short term transients.

check this web site:

http://www.robertsresorts.com/pueblo/

rates:

http://www.robertsresorts.com/pueblo/content.asp?deptid=3&catid=56

Located on the west side of Phoenix, just off Route 101.? Take Olive Road west off route 101, then right hand turn going north on El Mirage Road.

Smoky

Looks like we could be heading your way - I would suggest that you tie everything down, just in case we bring tornadoes, hurricanes etc with us.? ;D

BTW, I see there is a bowling green - is it in good condition - do you play?

I used to play Crown Green Bowls in the UK - like Flat/Lawn Bowls, except the green has a dome (crown) in the centre, generally has various other mounds and dips, uses a jack with bias, and you only use 2 woods not 4.

Cheers
Paul

Ron - we will catch up with you sometime next week ?

Paul,

SMoky and the Admiral are at the FMCA rally in Pomona for a few days.  You have our phone number so call when you plan opn being in Yuma.  Next Saturday the 25th of March we will be in the PHX area to attend the PotLuck at Russ's place.  Maybe if your in Yuma you could ride up there to the potluck with us too.

hi ron

we are at el mirage for tonight and sunday (if we can get thru on the phone).

then wellton on monday night.

then we are booked into 4 different thousand trail sites for 4 nights each, as they are free.

i think that takes us to april 2nd.

are you far from wellton - we could see about meeting up mon afternoon or on tues morning on our way to san diego area?

i will give you a call , probably tomorrow.

paul

Paul check your private mail when you get to El Mirage for a message from us.

Paul  Just read your message when I got home,  here at Pueblo El Mirage.  Great church services here at 9 AM in the Rec Hall.  Should be a great sermon for the Pastor is Irish.  He'll probably be decked out in Green Shamrocks.  What s[ace are  you in  We are in #12 on 1st steet by the wall, just down from the Guard house.

Paul:

Yes they have a GREAT lawn bowling group.? In one way it is better than golf.? It is FREE!? I believe they are out there every day at 1 pm.? And on saturday they have what they call fun day.? It is a lovely game to play and to watch.? They usually play 3 on a team, 4 bowls, and the jack is not biased.?

Our vacant spot is 515, so water the plants when you drive by!  ;D

No need to water the plants today.  We ordered Rain and it arrived at 5:30 this AM  and keeps spitting now at 8:10AM.  We'll miss you at church this AM  LOL

Hi Guys

Well - all of our great plans went straight out the window yesterday.

We had tried to telephone El Mirage 4 times on Saturday morning and just got their answering machine. So, I emailed them at 9.30am and explained that we were planning to head their way - a 3hr drive for us.

Imagine how pleased we were, when 2 1/2 hrs into our journey (3.30pm), they decided to give us a call to say they were over their 'quota' of under 55s and we couldn't get in.

We've now learnt not to head so far without a confirmation.

We decided to drive to Phoenix anyway, as there are always loads of campground signs at every exit, so we would just book-in elsewhere. Well, Phoenix must be the only place the whole length of the I-10 that doesn't advertise any campgrounds !!

We ended up driving out of Phoenix and down Hwy 80 toward Gila Bend [sp]. We found a small campground advertised at $9 so decided to stay there, as the receptionist confirmed the two restaurants just down the road served beer/wine.

Of course, when we walked to them NEITHER of them served alcohol of any description.

We headed back to the campground for a peaceful nights sleep - only to find we were across the road from (probably) the busiest rail line in the US. They operated all night with their horns blowing !

We then woke to heavy rain - you see, it DOES follow us.? ;D

So, onto the task of hooking-up the tow vehicle to discover someone had stolen the radio aerial? :mad:

We have now reached Yuma, and are staying at the Suni-Sands RV Resort.

Is this the only RV Resort in the USA which features it's own airforce across the road ? - I just hope they dont operate all night like the trains.

Anyway - thanks for all the invites guys - sorry we couldnt get to any of them.

Paul

Ron - will give you a call Monday.

UK-RV said:
Imagine how pleased we were, when 2 1/2 hrs into our journey (3.30pm), they decided to give us a call to say they were over their quota of under 55s and we couldn't get in.

From what Paul has written here am I correct in assuming that American Camp sites have a quota system for numbers of under and over 55 allowed on site?

Is this the norm for ALL sites or is it just this and a few other sites?

Mick,

Although there are a number of parks across the U.S. that have age limitations, they're very much in the minority. I don't know much about El Mirage (where Paul was headed), but I believe it's a community where you would normally buy the lot on which you park your RV. I suspect the community has the age restriction, something like a retired folks' community.

I haven't run into or stayed at any campground with that restriction in 20 years of RVing.

Paul,

We've often felt that the train tracks (and noisy trains) followed us.

We stayed at a CG near an air force base while we were in Oregon/Washington last year and have stayed at a number of CGs near commercial airports. If it bothers you, just buy a pair of earplugs.

Stay away from Amboy, California. We pulled into a nice big empty lot in town (well, calling Amboy a "town" is stretching things a bit), parked for the night. Never even saw the train tracks but we sure heard them all night long, whistles blowing, tracks clattering. And in the open desert like that, you could hear them for a long, long while, coming and going.

Sorry you couldn't get into Smoky's park.  We will expect your call tomorrow.  We are not but about 5 or 10 minutes from where you are.

You know Paul, we often joke that the trips we remember the most are the ones where something went amiss...the brakes catching fire on Towne's Pass leaving Death Valley, trying to outrun a hurricane in Florida, flash floods in the desert, no heat in Ely Nevada when the entire coach froze including the inside of the windows and us and the dog. We rarely remember the perfect trips....maybe there weren't any?? :D Anyway, just think of the great stories you have to tell about this trip, stories you wouldn't have if things had been perfect. Enjoy.

PAUL, Gosh I'm sorry to hear all this about the El Mirage.  Was waiting for you to return our message and I would have let you use my extra space I have here.  Their quotas mean nothing to me. I have a spot on each side of our park Model.  1 has our motorhome on it and the other is vacant due to no water.  I would have moved our RV to that one.  Again, sorry, wish I had known this at the time.  Also sorry about the Gila Bend  I saw that place Wed when we drove to Mexico.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom