Zeppelin TT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gawelsh

Hi all !  We're new to RV'ing - we're on the verge of purchasing a new Keystone Zeppelin 278 with all the goodies.  The sales rep says it's the max our
V-8 SUV can safely tow, taking wheelbases and all that other high-tech stuff into account.    We'd love some feedback about these trailers before we
sign on the dotted line.  For the money and the limitations of our SUV, it seems perfect.  If the RB bug bites us real hard later, we'll look into a
bigger tow vehicle or even a Class C.  But for now , we think the liteweight TT is the way to start.

Any comments on this brand and/or model ??    We live in central PA and are dealing with Beckley's in Thurmont MD.....they seem very on the ball and
helpful for new RV'ers like us.  THANKS!!  George & Lindsey

It's a 2005 Lexus GX 470 - V-8.  Rated to tow 6500 lbs.  It has 263 hp @ 5400 rpms and torque is 323 @ 3400.  That's all I know at
this point !!

Minor corrections to 2005 GX specs  -  it's a 4.7 liter, 270 hp and torque of 330@3400 rpms.    Rated for 6500 lbs,  Has a dealer installed Class 3 hitch.

If you listen to salesman they will tell you anything they think you want to hear or what they deem will help make the sale.  While the Lexas may be a good vehicle I just never thought of one being used to tow a RV out side of maybe a pop-up. I will let the trailer experts give you detailed advise.

If it were me I would ask the salesman to show that you would not be exceeding any weight limitations.

gwalkingstick said:
Hi all !? ?We're new to RV'ing - we're on the verge of purchasing a new Keystone Zeppelin 278 with all the goodies.? The sales rep says it's the max our
V-8 SUV can safely tow, taking wheelbases and all that other high-tech stuff into account.? ? We'd love some feedback about these trailers before we
sign on the dotted line.? ?For the money and the limitations of our SUV, it seems perfect.? ?If the RB bug bites us real hard later, we'll look into a
bigger tow vehicle or even a Class C.? ?But for now , we think the liteweight TT is the way to start.

Any comments on this brand and/or model ??? ? We live in central PA and are dealing with Beckley's in Thurmont MD.....they seem very on the ball and
helpful for new RV'ers like us.? ?THANKS!!? ?George & Lindsey

OK, now we have the specs.  It appears that the 278 has a GVWR of 6100 lbs.  That is a bit too heavy for a truck rated 6500 lbs. -- go one notch lighter.  Maybe the 242. 

We generally recommend that you discount tow ratings with respect to GVWR 10%.  That would  give you a desirable trailer GVWR of 5850 lbs.  If you ever plan to tow in the mountain or Pacific west, make that 20% or 5200 lbs to allow for long 6-8 % grades and 8000 ft. passes.

I tow with a 6600 lb rated truck pulling a 23' trailer 4650 lb -- as scaled, not estimated.  I would not want a much heavier trailer.  Remember you will load propane, baggage, and fluids not included in the mfr's weights.  Even some accessories like awnings are not in the total.

Never, ever trust a salesman's assurances. 

:)Well, we've done it now.....based on advice in this forum, as well as other research, we decided to step up to a bigger TV for our new Zeppelin 278....we've
traded in the Lexus GX 570 for a Ford Expedition with heavy duty tow package.  It's rated for 8600 lbs -  now we're CONFIDENT about the new TT !    We
figure we can trade up someday to a 6200 lb TT and still be ok with the Ford.    THANKS for the sage advice !!!

Congratulations on the new Tow vehicle.  I think you have made the right decision getting a vehicle that can tow your trailer with out exceeding any weight limits.  Now go out and enjoy your new rig.  Safe travels.

Let us know how it works for you.

Our first trip in the Zeppelin 278, towed by the new Ford Expedition, was a HUGE success.    We have been seriously bitten by the camping bug, after a wonderful weekend at Keen Lake in northeastern PA.  We met wonderful people, many of whom are 'seasonal' campers, a new concept that has us very intrigued.  Now, we've had the Zeppelin for all of one month and we're thinking fifth wheeler, with naturally yet another new
tow vehicle -  good grief !!!  This is going to be an expensive love affair !  Right now, we're studying Forest River 5'ers.  Any experience, good, bad or otherwise ???

Dont do that!! ::)

You will wind up being a source of income for several salesmen if you start changing trailers because the black tank is full.

Anyone buying a new, or even used, trailer loses 20%, or more, of the price the moment it is driven off the dealer's lot.  Even with a trailer, that is lot of bucks to lose.

Use your new toy for a while -- a long while.  I suspect you will find your needs change as the years go by and even a fiver may not be the ticket.

Carl? I know you always give good sane advice, but this time I think you outdid yourself.? ?That last message you posted couldn't have been better shuld you have spent 3 years dreaming it up.? Once you purchase one of these wondereful RVs it's time to enjoy and then decide, otherwise it could be a quick tri[p to the poor house.? After all they change every year and no one can continue to trade that often, or when something else hits your fancy.? Having sold them in the past and seeing how some people treade is why I ALWAYS buy used and save the bucks for other things. Usually keep them 5 to 8 years and wait for that special deal to fall into my lap.? Otherwise I sit still.  Oh by the way gwalkingstick  Glad you enjoyed your venture

Back
Top Bottom