zerk fitting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Winston Ruddick

I put grease  using the zerk fitting on three of the ultra lube axles on my travel trailer but the fourth fitting won't take any grease.  Could there be a faulty  zerk fitting ?
Haven't tried a new fitting yet..
Thanks

Welcome to the RV Forum Winston

I have had bad Zerk fittings but it has been many years since I've run into one.

Could be a bad zerk, I never use the them and prefer to hand pack bearings.

Unfortunately adding grease via those zerk fittings doesn't really do much for your bearings.  There's only a single port that puts the grease at the rear of the spindle.  To properly lube the bearings you'll need to pull the drums and repack the bearings.

Just unscrew the fitting and take to a auto parts store to get a exact replacement.
I agree that packing the bearings by hand is the only way to do it right. I think those zerk fittings are good for a boat trailer in order to push out any water which may get inside the hub.

I?d remove zerk and pump thru it to check it. If zerk is ok, I?d dig around with a piece of wire in grease passage try to open it up. A tool is available that you put on zerk and strike with hammer to free up really stubborn ones.
  By the way, my 1970 Kiaser/Willys Jeep CJ5 has grease zerks for rear axle wheel bearings as did all it?s predecessors.

They do sometimes clog..  Now. as it turns out there is a device (Technically a hydraulic ram I think) you fill it with like 90 Weight fit it over the fitting and wack it with a hammer.

OF course that's a mechanics tool  Far cheaper to just replace the zerk.

Just think, if you have a clogged zerk or hole, you can drive that debris right into the bearing.  Pull the thing apart, push grease thru the hole to clean it, then never use the zerk again.

Zerks work fine.
Make sure you have the wheel off the ground when pumping.
Do not use a power grease device.
Have wheel spinning when greasing.

You can have the symptoms you have if the bearing retaining nut is to tight.  I had that.
Follow the directions on the Dextor web site to adjust the nut.

disenberg13 said:
Zerks work fine.
Make sure you have the wheel off the ground when pumping.
Do not use a power grease device.
Have wheel spinning when greasing.

You can have the symptoms you have if the bearing retaining nut is to tight.  I had that.
Follow the directions on the Dextor web site to adjust the nut.

Thank You  :))

So many old school mechanics have the mindset that these are similar to Bearing Buddies, when they are not at all the same.  You are correct about raising the tire and slowly spinning while pumping.  Not saying it's wrong, or a bad idea to take off tire, disassemble like we used to, mostly to check and adjust the brakes, but to think you are going to get a better wheel packing, not the case any longer with these newer style spindles and grease zerks.  I would argue that they are way safer for the DYI novice, rather than disassemble and not reassemble bearings correctly.  No disrespect intended, but I also don't think it is fair to the DYI to think that greasing their bearings as instructed by the manufacturer is the incorrect way.

I too like zerk fittings and wish they would bring them back. Most modern cars/trucks no longer have zerk fittings, the joints are not serviceable and replacement items only.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom