Ziplock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ps.

The picture of the dried beans are actually ones I grew myself that year.

I am on a garden forum and we share seeds and that year we were all hooked on growing dried beans.

And we grew alot of different beans testing them. So much fun.

I'm looking for one picture, but can't find it. Maybe later.

Last edited:
Bridgeport for fish tacos, eh? Best ones I ever had were from a food truck in Panama City Beach, FL.
Another place with surprisingly good food is the Mobil station in Lee Vining. I haven't had their fish tacos, but the carnitas tacos are great.
Yes, they were great! $17.00, $18.24 including CA sales tax..
Same price as around 2.5 gallons of gasoline here.

Here is what it looks like to go (I am eating inside my RV):

CarTacos.JPG

I will have to try the fish tacos here next. They cost a buck more.

-Don- Lee Vining, CA

Yeah, rub it in. I had a salami sandwich and a brat left over from last night for lunch.
Glad to hear they're open again. It was hit or miss the last couple of years.
I have 2 sons that live and work in Yosemite, and one of them was telling me last night that Tioga pass is plowed but not quite ready to open. Once the pass it open, it's quite common for us to meet there and have lunch or dinner together.

I see you are on another road trip.
Just a short trip in my Y2K RV.

This park is managed by a type of bird, an Old Crow.

We had breakfast together at the Tom's Place Restaurant this morning. But we forgot to take photos. But don't worry, we know that means it never happened, so we will soon do it again with the photos.

-Don- Tom's Place, CA

This park is managed by a type of bird, an Old Crow.
Is this the place?

TOM'S PLACE RESORT
Cabins, Lodge, General Store, Cafe & Bar

Tom's Place was orginally built in 1917 by a German
man named Hans Lof. It all started with a much
needed gas station to fuel the traffic moving up from Southern California. Lof built a cookhouse, added a store and corrals, then started packing people into
the mountains for a wilderness getaway.

In 1923, Thomas Jeffrson Yerby and his wife, Hazel
(stage actress, Jane Grey) purchased the business for
$5,000 and Tom build the original Tom's Place Lodge in 1924.

People really started getting into the fishing here in the mid 20's, and there was a lot of traffic to Yosemite. People would come and camp for a month at a time at what is now called French Camp. By the late 1920's many cabins had been added, first as tent structures, then permanent ones, many still in use today.

Hazel did a lot of cooking for the lodge, and then, after prohibition, they put a saloon in across the street. She wouldn't let the saloon be on the same side of the street as the lodge and cafe. There were all kinds of things going on around this time. Rock Creek Lodge was being built, as well as Rock Creek Lakes Resort. The Crowley Dam was built in the mid-30's. Tom's Place survived two world wars and the Great Depression.

h2.jpg

h3.jpg

After Tom died in 1940, Hazel ran Tom's Place until 1945, and then sold
it for $80,000. By now, the highway was paved. The original lodge
burned down in 1947, and was replaced by the building that you now see.

The Ted Berner family took over and ran the lodge until 1954, and moved
the saloon into the interior of the building, where it is still located.
In 1985, the Berner family sold to a group of invesotrs, Tomco, Inc,
who managed it off-site and kept the off-season to a minimum.
Mark and Michelle Layne, and their son, Charlie, purchased the property
infrastructure from Tomco in January 2000.

The Layne's are always renovating some part of the resort, making some
needed improvements, but they pretty much want the place to remain its
original ambiance. History is priceless!

They are big community supporters, with, BBQs, Car Shows,
numerous fundraisers, holiday parties and live music.

There are some things you just don't want to change!

Yup, that's the place. We are actually camped in French Camp as I type.
There's a lot of interesting mining, military, and recreational history in the area. Lots of scenic wonders and natural attractions, too.
Google "Crowley Columns" and "Mono Lake Tufa".
Mammoth Lakes is a trendy little resort town. Skiing in the winter and mountain biking in the summer. There's Devils Postpile National Monument, too, but it's not open this early in the season.

This is the view from Laurel Lake, a small Alpine lake at about 10000 feet of elevation. It's about 5 miles north of Convict Lake (which is another place with an interesting story), where Don rode to yesterday.

20210625_112831.jpg

Damn, I sound like a tourist brochure.

I had a pork chop with apple sauce. It didn't show in the photo, (taken by the waitress) but it was very good and tasty. Came with beef vegie soup, rice and green beans.

I think we were both quite hungry after our daily afternoon two-hour BS session. It's been every morning (with Italian Roast Coffee at 140°F) and also in the afternoons lately.

Poor Old_Crow has to put up with me for another week because the weather is really bad on the way to Reno for the next several days. Very high winds and possible snow, both here and there in the next couple of days.

-Don- Tom's Place, CA

Great Pic!

Your meal sounded good.

High winds? yuck.

We are heading south to Myrtle Beach this morning.
It is 41 degrees here this morning in Maryland. yuck

I hope it is warmer south of here.

@DonTom

I'm back from Myrtle Beach. I am beached out. hahah

It was motorcycle week down there. We didn't know it till we got there.

Can you say LOUD?

The campgrounds are quiet though. They don't let bikes past the entry parking lot. You park them and walk to your site.

I watched the lunar eclipse on the beach that night.
I got some great sunrise pictures.

Question:

Can you post pictures here straight from your camera?

@DonTom
Did you lose any parts on your motorhome on your latest trip?

Hubby bent the key that locks the pooper door and storage compartment on the outside of the motorhome on the last morning. We worried that the door would fly open all the way back, but it stayed shut with just the knobs that turn to latch it.

Got home and had to mow and weed my garden and blanch and freeze garlic scapes and spinach, and pick radishes and lettuce. And plant carrots and string beans and okra and cucumbers.

So much fun. I love gardening!

Hope all is well with everyone.

Can you say LOUD?

The campgrounds are quiet though. They don't let bikes past the entry parking lot. You park them and walk to your site.

Question:

@DonTom

Hubby bent the key that locks the pooper door and storage compartment on the outside of the motorhome on the last morning. We worried that the door would fly open all the way back, but it stayed shut with just the knobs that turn to latch it.

Got home and had to mow and weed my garden and blanch and freeze garlic scapes and spinach, and pick radishes and lettuce. And plant carrots and string beans and okra and cucumbers.

I guess you cannot get on-line while you travel. I was wondering when we would hear from you again.

Tom & I once took the RV to Sturgis, SD during the motorcycle thingy-- by accident! We were going to Deadwood, didn't even know it was close to Sturgis and also didn't know it was the motorcycle week. What a mistake that was! Harley noise all night long, etc. We ended up driving late night all the way into the middle of Kansas to get away from the Sturgis crowd. Went to Dodge City the next day, for the first time ever.

Before we got to Deadwood, we were wondering why we were seeing so many large groups of motorcycles on the freeway and why Deadwood was so crowded--no place to park a motorcycle even--and we were in our RV.

No lost no parts that I am aware of but I took my old Y2k RV to the camp near Tom's Place and glad I did NOT take the new one there. That place is very dusty. And a dirty type of sand that gets into everything. Also, the shorter RV was better there, as the spaces are rather small. I am finding keeping the old RV sure has it's usefulness.

I replaced the two missing levelling pads and bolts. I paid for them myself rather than trying to deal with a claim. I put all four of them back on with a bunch of permanent lock-tite. And now they are very tight. I doubt if they will fall off again.

"Can you post pictures here straight from your camera?"

Sure you can post pictures here from your camera. Usually best to keep the camera on a very low resolution for most forums such as 640 by 480. Often the old cheap cameras are best for forums as some of the newer ones will not go that low. What type of camera are you using? Does it use an SD card? If not, you may have to use a USB cable. Or perhaps Bluetooth.

-Don- Reno, NV

Can you say LOUD?

Question:

@DonTom

We have stayed several times at Myrtle Beach Travel Park. The first time we decided to go there as it turns out it was also bike week. Little did we know but we couldn’t understand why so many bikes were going south until we asked someone at a rest stop. Oh great we said. We got there and the parking lot had a dozen or so bikes. As it turned out the father on OCC was there with a bike he had just built for his girlfriend. I even got his autograph one morning as they were heading out. They were just as quiet as a mouse all week. No issues at all.

Last edited:
I guess you cannot get on-line while you travel.
I have a Verizon Hotspot, (that little box thingy) separate from my phone to use the laptop, so yes, I can get online while traveling. I just never seem to have the time, or am too tired from the day.
What type of camera are you using?
A 2020 I phone. I have a USB cable.

I guess I have to plug it to my computer and take the pics to the computer and then from the computer to the forum?

Or can I share a picture right on my phone to the forum without going through the computer?
father on OCC
Don't know who that is?

We stayed at Ocean Lakes campground and Pirateland campground,

then went down to Charleston and went to Boone Hall Plantation and stayed at a KOA near there.

Jefferson's Monticello Plantation is MUCH nicer. Boone Hall didn't impress me nearly as much.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom