Gilbert Ray Campground AZ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are there no showers or there are but they were closed?
When I was at Picachio Peak, the showers were shut off. Toilets and wash basins worked. I think they were trying to save water, but it sounds like others have stayed there since then and were able to shower. You might want to call campground for recent information.

There was no water shortage at Gilbert Ray

No showers at Gilbert Ray. They do have a utility sink with spray hose you wash hair with.

We got here a day early so I'll call in the morning to pay for our extra night. Seems nice in the dark šŸ˜‚
Beautiful desert in the daytime. Watch for the rattlesnakes at night.

How long will you be there? There, it will start getting warmer, 100Ā°F in a few more days.

If you get a chance try the cheap American breakfast at the House of Cheng, right across the street from the Western Way RV Park in that small mall. IIRC, there is plenty of parking room. But I always walked there from the Western Way.

-Don- Reno, NV

We're here till Friday so will keep you posted. It was 103F on our drive.

I did watch for snakes in the dark with a torch when we arrived! I'd been warned. šŸ˜„
The state with the most rattlesnakes is, well, see here.

Don't expect them to all look the same!

BTW, it is incorrect where it says there are NO snakes of any species in Alaska. The common Garter snake is "common" in southern Alaska and is a native.

And that article has an error also. There are NO native snakes in Hawaii. Unless one counts the yellow-bellied sea snake that is never on Hawaii land.

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
The common Garter snake is "common" in southern Alaska and is a native.
They call the Anchorage/Kenai area "South Central Alaska" and I've never heard of or seen a snake.
All the Panhandle (Juneau, Ketchikan, etc.) Is called "SE Alaska". Never heard of or seen a snake in my travels down that way either, which used to be quite often.
Not saying they aren't there, but I think "common" may be stretching it a bit.

Common is not the same as "commonly seen". There are many reptiles that spend most of their lives underground, especially where it is cold most of the year. Conditions need to be perfect for them to be seen in large numbers such as the first warm day in the springtime where in some areas something like this can be seen:

1715697327268.png

-Don- Reno, NV

They call the Anchorage/Kenai area "South Central Alaska" and I've never heard of or seen a snake.
All the Panhandle (Juneau, Ketchikan, etc.) Is called "SE Alaska". Never heard of or seen a snake in my travels down that way either, which used to be quite often.
I just now looked it up in one of my many herpetology books. In AK, most of the common garter snakes are found around the Stikine River, in extreme SE Alaska.

-Don- Reno, NV

The state with the most rattlesnakes is, well, see here.

Don't expect them to all look the same!

BTW, it is incorrect where it says there are NO snakes of any species in Alaska. The common Garter snake is "common" in southern Alaska and is a native.

And that article has an error also. There are NO native snakes in Hawaii. Unless one counts the yellow-bellied sea snake that is never on Hawaii land.

-Don- Reno, NV
According to this: Are There Snakes in Alaska? The 49th State & Reptiles - Sea to Summit Alaska

there are no "native" snake species in Alaska.

I have seen that claim before. I don't buy it for a simple reason. The common garter snake has a very continuous range that ends a few miles inside of Alaska.
Look at any range map of the common garter snake. See where it ends in the very NW in extreme SE AK

1715738308237.png

If they were not native, there would (most likely) be a break in the range.

-Don- Truckee Airport, CA (another free charge stop)

If you would like to see the opposite opinion in writing (the one I agree with) see here.

"Garter snakes are perhaps the most well-known and frequently encountered native snakes in Alaska. "

While I will admit the jury is still out on this one, I gave my reason for believing they are native in AK.

But this is not something that can be proven either way.

But notice the recent date. It looks like they even discovered a few more snakes that they assume are native in AK. And none of those are surprises to me. The Rubber Boa has been known to dig into snow! I found one at above 8,000' elevation here in NV. The very top of Mt. Pevine near here, a few years ago. Right at the base of an antenna tower at the very peak. That was around this time of year. Every Rubber Boa I ever saw (many) I found in the month of May.

The Ringneck prefers damp cold places. While all could live in parts of AK, I see some herpetologists now expect these are also native. Perhaps three known native snakes in Alaska.

Again, cannot be proven either way. But nobody can be 100% sure of the exact range of any reptile.

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RVMan78
Back
Top Bottom