2 WD vs 4WD TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had to use 4-wheel drive one time while towing to leave the paved campground. The campground was about 8 feet below the level of the road and a light snow/ice on the inclined driveway prevented us from exiting in 2-wheel drive. It walked right out in 4-wheel drive. Now that was once in 10 years of camping.

Gary RV Roamer said:
When you need 4WD, it is priceless. The rest of the time it is needless complication and expense.
4wheel drive is like insurance. You hope you never need, but when you do. You're glad you have it.  ;D

Couple years back when I still had my TT.  Spent the weekend at Jamboree in the Hills. The campground was a big farm field. While... it rained most of the weekend. Once I got my TT out. I was pulling other campers out too. Then spent a couple of weekends at the Power Line in Oh. Same thing all over again. LOL  ;D With the MH. I'm real careful on where I go.

Truck of choice. An '08 Dodge Power Wagon with the 5.7, 4.56 gears, electric lockers front and rear, 35" tires, 15,000 lbs winch.  ;D

4wheel drive is like insurance. You hope you never need, but when you do. You're glad you have it

Very expensive insurance. A tow truck might be cheaper.

Al Juby said:
Very expensive insurance. A tow truck might be cheaper.

In my case, I go into VERY remote areas in the mountains where this is no cell service.  It isn't the cost of the tow truck, it's the 7 mile hike back the road or the 3 week long wait until someone comes along and can help that freaks me out.  :)

The other thing is this.....there is one privately owned campground that I go to often....the best spot is a pull through at the top of the hillside.  2WD need not apply.

Frizlefrak said:
In my case, I go into VERY remote areas in the mountains where this is no cell service.  It isn't the cost of the tow truck, it's the 7 mile hike back the road or the 3 week long wait until someone comes along and can help that freaks me out.  :)
X2

Frizlefrak said:

The other thing is this.....there is one privately owned campground that I go to often....the best spot is a pull through at the top of the hillside.  2WD need not apply.
3X Used to tow the TT to Moab. Then go out and explore the trails there.

https://youtu.be/ur4B855FAFM

I don't think anybody suggested there is never a use for 4WD. The tougher question is whether the typical RVer actually "needs 4WD" or not.  I think the case can be made that it has more utility than just accessing idyllic backwoods locations and hilltop aeries, but it's still a fair leap to claim that everybody who tows an RV should have it if they can afford it. I think for most travelers, it's more in the category of "nice to have" than "necessary".

I think 2v4 is the same as deciding if you want to bring a chainsaw, full size shovel and pickaxe, etc.

Do you plan on getting into areas and situations where you will need it? How likely will there be others around to help if you don't have it? Is it worth it to YOU?

I fear becoming the modern version of The White Knight from "Through the Looking Glass - and what Alice found there"
This is why every fall, when I winterize, I also go through the RV and pull out anything I didn't use since last year.

I never took my fifth wheel "off road" but needed 4WD several times, all within a campground. Amazing what wet grass will do for traction.

Over the lifetime of the truck, 4WD doesn't add that much to the total cost of owning and maintaining the vehicle.

Had 4WD on my 2006 F350, salesman talked me into it. I liked having it, but can't say I ever really used it. If it were not expensive, less fuel mileage, heavier, taller to get in and out of, more maintenance, not quite as good handling, it would certainly be on my next truck.

If the salesman was really good!

We have a 2wd so my partially disabled missus can get in and out without a step. She can't do that with my buddy's stone stock 4x4 even with the running board. The only time I want 4wd is to climb my own driveway when pulling the trailer, I can make it up by building speed but don't like to do that. We have never had a problem in unpaved camp sites but I make sure they are level before pulling in especially when wet.  I carry chains but have yet to use them.

HappyWanderer said:
Over the lifetime of the truck, 4WD doesn't add that much to the total cost of owning and maintaining the vehicle.
This statement got me to thinking,so I calculated that 2x4 would save approximately 3000.00 in gas for 100,000 miles.That would be for highway driving and not towing,so the reality would probably be a lot less saved.
That really isn't a lot spread over the life of the truck.

Can someone tell me what the maintenance intervals are for the transfer case and front differential,and the cost of that maintenance?
Is there other maintenance costs with 4x4 that one would not have with 2x4?

Jeff in Ferndale Wa said:
This statement got me to thinking,so I calculated that 2x4 would save approximately 3000.00 in gas for 100,000 miles.That would be for highway driving and not towing,so the reality would probably be a lot less saved.
That really isn't a lot spread over the life of the truck.

Can someone tell me what the maintenance intervals are for the transfer case and front differential,and the cost of that maintenance?
Is there other maintenance costs with 4x4 that one would not have with 2x4?
On my Power Wagon, which sees alot of offroad use. Oil change, filter, grease, tire rotation every 4,000 miles. Normally I would change the transfer case and diff fluids every 60,000 miles. But with water crossings. Every time I get home.

Attachments

• Rausch Creek.jpg
    Rausch Creek.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 8
Had a friend help me move. I had a 4x4 he had a 2x4.  Man was his easier to load up!  For some reason it never occurred to me how much easier it would be to load heavy items when you could just tilt them In rather than lift and heave them in.

I guess these kids I see with their trucks jacked up sky high with 4wd must never put anything in the bed except their step ladders.

Went to a camp ground at Gettysburg 2 weeks ago and had to drive across a wet grassy area to get into my spot.  Would never have made it without 4 wheel drive.

99% of those kids with their jacked up trucks never take them offroad. We call them mall crawlers. LOL The trucks that are really jacked up high. Are sold shortly after getting the lift. They can't figure out why it does ride as nice as stock. So they sell them.  ::)

kjansen said:
Went to a camp ground at Gettysburg 2 weeks ago and had to drive across a wet grassy area to get into my spot.  Would never have made it without 4 wheel drive.
Which campground? We stayed at Gettysburg Battlefield Resort. I've seen some of the other campgrounds there, and believe you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom