2 WD vs 4WD TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2wd or 4wd and you will probably be happy.  We couldn't afford a lot of the great features some of the MH's have but I'll be darned if that is going to stop me from have just as good of a time with my kiddos. 

You get what you get and then adjust.  People somehow made it with horses on rutted washed out trails.  Now people go insane if their internet goes out for 10 minutes or their plane is 15 minutes late. 

You will be fine with a 2wd.  I can tell you are smart enough not to get yourself into someplace you shouldn't be and if you do you will figure it out.  Heck all the MH's only have rear wheel drive right?

Russ+Chris said:
99% of those kids with their jacked up trucks never take them offroad. We call them mall crawlers. LOL The trucks that are really jacked up high. Are sold shortly after getting the lift. They can't figure out why it does ride as nice as stock. So they sell them.  ::)

Yep.

I appraise at least a couple of them a week.  They sink $10K worth of suspension lift, body lift, wheels and tires, and steering components into the truck, only to discover it now drives like crap.  We of course offer them significantly less than we would for a stock one, because we can't resell it without putting it back to stock, so we send it to auction if we buy it.  So now they're out the cost of the mods and they get a lowball offer.

And yes, jacked up trucks drive like absolute crap. 

Russ+Chris said:
Which campground? We stayed at Gettysburg Battlefield Resort. I've seen some of the other campgrounds there, and believe you.

Granite Hill.  Nice place, all aren't cheap.  We were able to park ours in a storage area for $15 a week while we drove to DC to visit our daughter. Did check out Battlefield, looked like a nice place to stay also.

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned yet but I would venture to say that 99.9% of all motorhomes criss-crossing the country right now are 2WD.

And that's enough for me not to put too much emphasis on 2 or 4 wheel drive. I'll buy what I can afford and if it has 4x4 great, if not, great! I like this thread because I'm shopping for a truck right now but I've got plenty of time to research and find a great deal. I don't plan on needing one until the spring.

DickHutchings said:
And that's enough for me not to put too much emphasis on 2 or 4 wheel drive. I'll buy what I can afford and if it has 4x4 great, if not, great! I like this thread because I'm shopping for a truck right now but I've got plenty of time to research and find a great deal. I don't plan on needing one until the spring.

I have been enjoying this thread as well.It has kept me busy while I'm looking for the right truck.

I may have found one.
2008 F250 2x4 with 46,000 miles
Going back to look at again later today

lone_star_dsl said:
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned yet but I would venture to say that 99.9% of all motorhomes criss-crossing the country right now are 2WD.

And they are balanced rather differently than pickups, sort of like comparing a 58 Chevy to a VW bug on low traction surfaces. They're both two wheel (rear wheel, even) drive, but there's a big difference.

2wheel vs 4wheel. Think what it comes down to is where you live, and what you what to do with it. If you live in a snow state. 4wheel is a necessity. Where I live at. I need 4wheel for getting to work. Roads may not get plowed for a couple of day. If you live somewhere that barely gets snow. Yea, you can get away with 2wheel. When I had my TT. I needed 4wheel a couple of times. With the MH. I never drive it in the snow, and watch where I go. Very cautious will it. It's a lot more money.

Bought a 2008 yesterday F250 2x4 with 46,000 miles and it has a limited slip differential.
Will pick it up after they add a few accessories that I wanted.
I'm proud of myself that I was able to hold out until I found exactly what I was looking for and got it for a fair price 8)

Thanks everyone for your input :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregcss43
Back
Top Bottom