What the consensus of a standard trans vs an A/T for towing a 5th wheel RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SilvrT

Thought I'd start a new thread for this as it's more specific to Gas engine.

Well, now that I've narrowed down a few diesel's to look at (starting this evening), yesterday I came across a super clean 2002 - F350 extended cab long box with the V10 in it.

This one has the 6 speed STANDARD tranny. Mileage is less than average for the year. Issue with the plugs has been dealt with. Not a Lariat but does have most creature comforts such as A/C, Crusie, PW, PDL, etc. It even has a 5th wheel hitch.

All for under $10,000 .. in fact, I think I can get it for closer to $8k

What the consensus of a standard tranny versus an automatic for towing a 5th wheel RV?

I think a standard would be a pain in the arse. I like my Ram 8 speed that quickly and intelligently selects the proper gear for any situation.

Momentum going up hills is critical.  You will lose momentum when you have to downshift going up a hill and it will make it worse.  I found a 2000 F250 with a V10 about 4 years ago for $7k.  Had about 110k miles on it.  Does a decent job towing my ~8600lb trailer, but it is an auto and I could not imagine how much harder it would be to take on hills if it was a manual.  I would pass on it.

I have towed with both. My first  fiver I had a Ram Dually 3500 with a six speed.  The thing had crazy power. Never had an issue towing with it, up hills, through  the mountains, nothing.  As a matter of fact, since I was the one selecting the gear and, and deciding when to shift, it probably pulled hills a little better. 

Then I had a fiver with a Ram 2500 with a six speed auto.  Pulled hard, shifted nice, the tow/haul mode worked great. They both did the job.  I would take either one of them again.  It's really a matter of choice and how comfortable you are with a standard trans.  I have always liked a standard. Our current Jeep is a 6 speed manual. 

If you are comfortable with it, go for it.

FWIW, I've driven many larger trucks such as 24' moving vans with standard trans including 2-speed axles over the mountains. Never felt I was "losing momentum" downshifting. I guess it boils down to what a person is comfortable with.

That said, I've never pulled a 5th wheel RV with either a standard or an automatic. One of my concerns about buying a used truck is, everything about it could be in great shape but who can tell if the automatic will last much longer once ya hook a trailer up and start pulling hills? I guess that becomes a gamble one has to take. On the other hand, what goes wrong with a standard other than the clutch? Regardless, a lot less costly to fix.

All opinions appreciated.

Don't know how old you are but I will not try driving a standard shift today. Many of the newer automatics are almost bullet proof. The Allison transmissions are excellent, the newer Dodge transmissions I understand are fantastic in fact I just haven't heard of a lot of the newer trucks transmissions failing. With my knees and hip I would be totally crippled in one day of driving a standard transmission even though I have put many miles on trucks and cars with stick shifts when I was younger. BTW, I towed my last 5th wheel with a 1999 Dodge dually with an automatic and then a 2005 Chevrolet with the Allison without a failure. The Dodge had over 200,000 miles on it when I sold it.

gwcowgill said:
Don't know how old you are but I will not try driving a standard shift today.

I'm going on 70. Most folks I know that don't know my age think I'm in my late 50s. I'm fortunate to still look much younger than my age and have no medical issues other than a bit of high blood pressure (which I'm controlling with meds). I've been an avid biker most of my life and still ride although not as much as I used to. Frankly, I would not have any issues with a standard shift.

The trucks I am looking at are in the age range of 2002 - 2006 and the kilometers range from 195k - 255k - 360k. I'm mostly concerned about the one with the 360k as he said he's never had any issues with the A/T in the 12 years he's owned it. I'm thinking after all that time and kilos, it could be ready to crap any time.

Of the newer SD trucks, only RAM offers a stick.  That speaks both to auto trans reliability and customer preference.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with pulling a FW with a stick so long as YOU are comfortable doing so!

grashley said:
  There is absolutely nothing wrong with pulling a FW with a stick so long as YOU are comfortable doing so!

We need a "like" link in this forum!

I drove a pickup with a straight shift for about 10 years.  Never again.  It's too hard to drive in heavy city traffic while drinking coffee and eating a biscuit.

At 70 my knees and hips were pretty good, now at 75 my knees bother me and my hip is now starting to bother me. At 52 I was still competing on BMX bicycle now I would have a problem driving a stick. A few years can make a big difference. I love the newer automatics and don't worry about reliability. We have two older Ford trucks on the farm that have over 300,000 miles and a Chevy 3500 Cargo Van  that is approaching 500,000 miles which has on;y had water pumps and belts replaced and normal suspension parts., Transmission still works fine. The real question is maintenance and use.

It is interesting to note that Stick shifts are going the way of the dinosaur. I personally would look at the maintenance of the vehicle if buying used. We just bought a used Ford diesel van to replace the Chevy van for deliveries that don't require refrigeration and it has 128,000 miles on the Odometer. Find what you like and go with it. 

I would not have a stick for one big reason, if I had a medical emergency (like a kidney stone attack a few years back) there is no way my wife could drive it. Or learn to drive it.

She did drive our F350 4WD to the hospital, and then all the way home, I was too doped up to drive safely.

And don't bother to say she could learn, just plain not going to happen.

One of my concerns about buying a used truck is, everything about it could be in great shape but who can tell if the automatic will last much longer once ya hook a trailer up and start pulling hills? I guess that becomes a gamble one has to take.

Not a gamble worth worrying about, in my opinion. Modern automatics are powerful and reliable for 150k miles, even towing.Not at all the trouble-prone slush-boxes of old. Heck, my Allison 3000 automatic regularly pulls my 37,000 lb coach over mountains!

Badlands Bob said:
I drove a pickup with a straight shift for about 10 years.  Never again.  It's too hard to drive in heavy city traffic while drinking coffee and eating a biscuit.

Not to mention texting.

I like stick shifts on trucks and cars but autos are nice too. I wouldn't let either type queer an otherwise good deal.

Well, my search is over.

After weighing all the pros and cons of diesel vs V10, 4x2 vs 4x4 ....

I bought a 2003 F350 Lariat King Ranch quad cab 4x2 with the V10 engine. super immaculate and low miles. Even has the 5th wheel hitch on it.

Thanks all for the help.

SilvrT said:
Well, my search is over.

After weighing all the pros and cons of diesel vs V10, 4x2 vs 4x4 ....

I bought a 2003 F350 Lariat King Ranch quad cab 4x2 with the V10 engine. super immaculate and low miles. Even has the 5th wheel hitch on it.

Thanks all for the help.

Assuming that is an auto trans.  King Ranch is their high end line and probably all come with autos.

Pointerman said:
Assuming that is an auto trans.  King Ranch is their high end line and probably all come with autos.

yup, it is !

When we had a Fiver we towed with a F250, 7.3 diesel and a 6 speed manual shift.  The wife drives and shifts it fine.  On the highway there isn't much need to downshift.
Marvin

Old Racer said:
I would not have a stick for one big reason, if I had a medical emergency (like a kidney stone attack a few years back) there is no way my wife could drive it. Or learn to drive it.

She did drive our F350 4WD to the hospital, and then all the way home, I was too doped up to drive safely.

And don't bother to say she could learn, just plain not going to happen.

exactly...  Her exact words were "if you have any hopes of me driving this thing, get an AT"

Back
Top Bottom