Truck issue with condo board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

merlinmurph

I'm having an issue with my condo board over my F-250 and am seeking some help. People here are very knowledgeable about trucks and I'm hoping I can get some useful info.

Our condo bylaws (written up in about 1986) have a clause that simply says "no trucks". They are threatening to fine me because my truck is parked in the lot. My argument is that SUV's are trucks, too, and they are being selective about which trucks they allow and which trucks they do not allow. The majority of the current board does not want pickups, so they are doing anything they can to allow SUV'S and not allow pickups.

For example, one of the loudest complainers has a Ford Expedition. I pointed out to the board that the Expedition is indeed a truck, based on the F-150 and classified by the DOT as a truck. They are in denial that the Expedition is a truck. They say it's an SUV, not a truck.

When I bought my truck in July, the board had never specified how a vehicle would be determined a truck. After I bought my truck, they decided to use info from the registration to determine that. This suits their purposes well because the info on the registration has a specific code for pickups and they're zeroing in on that. I'm going to argue that this method was established after I bought my truck and not applicable.

In an email, a board member actually said this about the Expedition: "There is nothing to suggest that these vehicles are classified as trucks". So, I'm looking to you folks to provide me with any information possible to convince them that the Expedition is a truck. Here's what I have so far.

1. I'm going to stress that the DOT is *the* authority when it comes to classifying vehicles

2. I looked inside the door of my F-250 for a sticker and found a manufacturing sticker that has the date, plant, VIN, and type. Mine says " truck" for type.
Can anybody tell me what this sticker says for an Expedition? How about other large SUVs like a Suburban, etc?
I'm really hoping it says truck.

3. I'm looking for industry articles that refer to the Expedition as a truck. The more references I can find, the better.

Can you think of anything else I can use to convince them the Expedition is a truck? I want to overwhelm them with so much info that they have no choice.

Again, once I convince them the Expedition is indeed a truck, they wIll have to accept pickups given the way the current bylaws are written. Then again, this is a condo board and they seem to make up their own rules.

Thanks,
Dan

I have a condo in WI.  The association does not have this regulation.  However, there are other condo associations in the city that has the same rule as yours.  I think they can take you to the Ford webpage and show you that an Expedition is listed as a SUV not a truck.  So, I don't know you will be successful. 

Maybe you want to try to ask the residents to request a change.  Someone in the condo wanted to see a change in the rule we have that allow only small dogs.  They went door to door asking for support on changing the rule.  They collected enough signatures that forced the association to change it.  The board changed the rule.  I think you may want to try this route.

California places commercial vehicle license plates on all pickups as commercial vehicles while SUVs are issued passenger car plates.  Likewise, full sized buses carry passenger car plates despite sharing chassis and drivetrain components with HD trucks.

The legal difference isn't the chassis underneath the body, it's whether the vehicle is designed to carry cargo in a dedicated bed.  You can license a pickup truck as a passenger vehicle but risk a citation if there's so much as a shovel or a box in the bed.

Bummer. Not what I want to hear, but I appreciate the info. I didn't realize the legal difference between the two.

We're in NM right now, been on the road for 4 months now. When we get back in January, I'll have to deal with this.

Thanks for the info,
Dan

One more thing.

Yes, we have brought up the idea of changing the rules to allow pickups. That requires a simple majority vote of the owners.  My neighbor and good friend got a pickup just before me and needs a change, too.

Thanks,
Dan

I would bet a little bit of money that this bylaw could be won on a challenge as a pickup truck is recognized as a means of common transportation. I'm also on the strata council here and the only thing we ask is no RV's parked on common property or parked in driveways(short duration are fine)...it's sure not our place to dictate what people drive!

What's next? No Harley's?

My comments to this kind of nonsense would get me booted from the forum........so I'll refrain.  Sorry to hear of your issues and I hope you get some resolution, in your favor.

I used to have a neighbor who drove a Chevy Suburan, this is even more "TRUCK" than the Expidition you cite, but due to the design it was licensed as a Station Wagon... Same with my wife's van, it was licensed as a Station Wagon.

I suspect the Expeditaion is also licensed as a Station Wagon.. However rules vary from state to state.

Pickups, however, are licensed as Trucks, at least in Michigan.

In Michigan it does not have to do with a "Back Seat" as many think, but with rear side windows..  A "Commercial" van (Gets truck plates) has no windows behind the "B" Pillar.  Just the windshield, and the windows in the doors.

But a "Station Wagon" has windows along the sides ...  That may be how your Condo is deciding.. Same as the State of Michigan.

And Reason # _____ not to live where there is any kind of HOA

As a private organization, your condo association can decide anything it likes. Heck, they can ban red vehicles if the members agree. You can bring a civil suit over the meaning of "truck" in your contract (which you agreed to it when you bought into the condo), but they really need only point at common usage (truck vs SUV) and Ford's own advertising. I don't think you have a prayer. Better to put your energy into amending the condo association rules, but that's probably an uphill battle as well.

Distasteful as it may be, why would you expect the condo rules don't apply to you?  ???

Gary said: Distasteful as it may be, why would you expect the condo rules don't apply to you?  ???

It's matter of interpretation. Believe me, I'm not the arrogant type that believes rules don't apply to him. I have found two cases where the association had the same "no trucks" rule, the owner was fined, he sued, and the owner won. The argument was that pickups have changed a lot since 1986 and SUVs are built on the same chassis. They are much more common as an every day vehicle. Look in any supermarket parking lot and you will see many non-commercial pickups.

I won''t go the legal route. Too painful and $$$$$.

I can ask the board to interpret it like the legal cases did. Good luck with that.

Best route is to change the rule by popular vote.

Again, I'm not looking for sympathy and I really don't want to start a discussion on HOAS. I was looking for info that might help me. For example, I thought that SUV's were classified as light trucks, and as such, did not have collapsable bumpers, etc. Is that true?

Thanks,
Dan

This stuff is why, when I started looking for a house, the first, third, fifth, and last requirements I gave the realtor was "NO HOA!"

It looks like your options are stand for election and attempt to get the rule changed (good luck on that one ::)), find alternate storage, sell the truck or move. I would start looking for another address but that's me. This is a good lesson for those looking to buy into an HOA. Go over the rules with a fine tooth comb and talk to your lawyer if necessary.

RoyM said:
It looks like your options are stand for election and attempt to get the rule changed (good luck on that one ::)), find alternate storage, sell the truck or move. I would start looking for another address but that's me. This is a good lesson for those looking to buy into an HOA. Go over the rules with a fine tooth comb and talk to your lawyer if necessary.

The problem with HOAs is that they bring out the tyrant in some people. Even if the rules allow something when you move in, they can be changed if someone decides they don't like you.

I don't EVER want to live where some idiot can post a note on my door saying that my curtains are the wrong color, and I have 3 days to change them.

Sounds to me like a Ford Focus (salvage) with two different door colors would be in my future.  Any rules on art?  Toilets and ceramic pigs make wonderful personal expression.  What time are "quiet hours".  Wouldn't want to violate those but up to last minute my music could be playing.

We have an RV code in our HOA.  Never paid a bit of attention and nobody has bothered me.  But then I never make a peep other than to mow my grass and my kids are extremely respectful of other people and their property.

Besides today's trucks can literally be luxury vehicles!!

Are there sign ordinances?  Strong political signs seem to elicit emotion ( whatever the opposite of everyone else is).

They don't have all the cards.  Don't let them push you around!

Oh and I am sure there are incidences when this goes to court but do they have actual legal authority and the money collected from HOA dues to sue?  In the end most of  these are all bark.

My HOA decided you couldn't park in your yard (wasn't me). The person that was doing this horrible act (please note sarcasm) just acted like no emails went out.  Nothing seems to be happening. 

Your wasting your time arguing a fight with a bunch of ninnies (is that PC?). Just ignore it.  Throw the fines in the trash.  Park the 250 right at the end of the driveway heck maybe on the road if legal.  Live a little and have fun doing it!

I don't think I could sleep at night knowing I let someone else decide what vehicle I drove.  What if you are a contractor or a landscaper.  Are they worried their superficial friends will see a truck in their neighborhood?  Man that is shallow!this one takes the cake.

KandT said:
Sounds to me like a Ford Focus (salvage) with two different door colors would be in my future.

Your wasting your time arguing a fight with a bunch of ninnies (is that PC?). Just ignore it.  Throw the fines in the trash.  Park the 250 right at the end of the driveway heck maybe on the road if legal.  Live a little and have fun doing it!

My first thought was a '98 Chevy Suburban painted in primer, all rotted out, different color doors, plastic on the windows, duct tape on various places, and a Confederate flag painted on the hood. Just park it and leave it.

HOA's have leverage with regard to fines. When the place is sold, they have a legal lien to funds.

I've been living here for 20 years and it has worked out great. There has been some drama, but everything has its plusses and minuses.  I never miss a nice weekend because I have to mow the lawn, shovel snow, clear ice dams, etc.

And again, I was hoping for more truck info that may help my cause.....  ;-)

Thanks again,
Dan

Sorry - I couldn't help myself.  If you get that suburb please please send a pic!! ?

Allstate Insurance lists our two Toyota RAV4's as trucks on our NYS required financial responsibility cards. NYS also gives pickup truck owners the option when registering to have either commercial or passenger plates. I think there's max weight limit for that choice, but I don't recall what it is.

This is why when I bought my home I told the reality against no hoa's.    I. Recommended you run to be on the board.  So you can be the holdout

merlinmurph said:
My first thought was a '98 Chevy Suburban painted in primer, all rotted out, different color doors, plastic on the windows, duct tape on various places, and a Confederate flag painted on the hood. Just park it and leave it.

HOA's have leverage with regard to fines. When the place is sold, they have a legal lien to funds.

I've been living here for 20 years and it has worked out great. There has been some drama, but everything has its plusses and minuses.  I never miss a nice weekend because I have to mow the lawn, shovel snow, clear ice dams, etc.

And again, I was hoping for more truck info that may help my cause.....  ;-)

Thanks again,
Dan
A guy I used to go 4wheeling with, had one JUST like that! LOL 

When my daughter bought a townhouse couple years ago. 2 weeks after moving in. She got a letter from the HOA that the garage door needed painted and that she had one month to get it done. The garage door was painted about 2 months before my daughter moved in, and it looked fine. She found out who inspected the townhouse garage door. I went to their place and looked around, taking pictures and making notes. Gave all of my information to my daughter. She went to the next HOA meeting. She hasn't been bothered since. LOL

So when you go back to the condo. Find out who is doing the dirty. Get dirt on them and reply with kind. LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom