Truck issue with condo board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What if you purchased a POS car full of rust with a trailer behind it. Now every night park your truck on the trailer.... Call it a yard ornament!

You have a very real point that SUV's are trucks because well ....they are!  Not the cross overs of course but anything like a Suburban is for sure!  Good luck and let us know!!  If you want me to keep that Lariet for you until you move my development allows them and my Doctor friends would be jeolous!  I know an orthopedic surgeon who drives an F150 platinum and an Internist who drives an F150 xlt.  I guess your HOA would be too good for them!!!!

Last night, I sent a long email to the board containing many links to articles showing that  almost all SUVS are actually classified as light trucks. Even a Honda Element (which I used to own) is a light truck, along with many other vehicles they may not envision as trucks. The classic example is the PT Cruiser.  The rule is so vague as written, that they don't have much choice.

My guess is that they totally ignore what I said in the email.

Nah - you have a real argument.  Keep the fight just don't lose sleep over it.

Just try to be civil. Go in with a bad attitude, and they will get an attitude too.

Badlands Bob said:
Tell the board not to worry about it.  You will be moving, along with your truck, within 30 days.  You are going to rent your condo out to a Section 8 family with 6 kids.

???  This threat might set you back.

geodrake said:
You may as well stop fighting it, you can't win.  The HOA has all of the trump cards.
  Gordon, I disagree. The OP shouldn't give up without a strategic plan to at least try to change the By Laws.  From what I've read it will take a simple majority vote.  How many members are there in the HOA?  The OP has at least one other member of the HOA that is in the similar situation.  Are either of them (preferably both of them) willing to serve on the Board of Directors? Arguments against the current By Laws might include resale value.  I think an argument can be made that this rule would have a negative impact on resale value.  Nothing ventured ... nothing gained ... but have a plan.

I don't know about this HOA but many (ours included) provide thirty days after notification to correct the infringement and then fines begin, and continue.  After 90 days of fines and no payment of same a lien is placed on the property.  HOAs can be a formidable foe.

geodrake said:
I don't know about this HOA but many (ours included) provide thirty days after notification to correct the infringement and then fines begin, and continue.  After 90 days of fines and no payment of same a lien is placed on the property.  HOAs can be a formidable foe.

For sure, an HOA can be a formidable foe.  That's why it's so important to read the HOA docs before you purchase the real estate or the truck.  On the other hand, rules can be changed if one is willing to put in the effort and deal with the politics.  George makes a very good point. In order to avoid fines and liens, the OP should remain in compliance with the HOA while working to change the By Laws.

MN Blue Skies said:
  Gordon, I disagree. The OP shouldn't give up without a strategic plan to at least try to change the By Laws.  From what I've read it will take a simple majority vote.  How many members are there in the HOA?  The OP has at least one other member of the HOA that is in the similar situation.  Are either of them (preferably both of them) willing to serve on the Board of Directors? Arguments against the current By Laws might include resale value.  I think an argument can be made that this rule would have a negative impact on resale value.  Nothing ventured ... nothing gained ... but have a plan.

It's actually a small complex, only 26 townhouse units, of which 3 have pickups. I already proposed a change in the bylaws to specifically allow pickups and we would need 14  votes in our favor. I honestly could not tell you how I would bet on this simply because I do not know a lot of the owners. I would not be surprised if one of the anti-pickup crowd will be proposing an amendment to specifically ban pickups.

My neighbor still parks his pickup in the lot and still has not been fined, even after a threatening letter that he would be.

Again, I have presented a very logical argument to the board and have been very civil in my emails. Strong, but civil. Again, I have been doing this remotely  (currently in FL), and don't plan on being back there until around 1/7/17. I have been civil, but from what I understand, the board meetings have been anything but civil when discussing this topic. I'd love to be a fly on the wall during those meetings, knowing the personalities involved.

Still no response from my last email....

Stay tuned

Well you know you have three votes for the trucks then. Only 10 or 11 more.  My HOA has all sorts of rules about how long you can park your moho at your house and I have left mine here for the last two weeeks and regularly leave it here.  I one says anything.  Just like you though I mind my own business and keep things nice .  I dont have parties etc. 

I think you are in a good spot if they aren't fining the other truck owners.  Again, that is a heck of a nice truck - not like you pulling a rusted out f150 straight from the local demolition derby in there!!  You gotta be able to get 10-11 votes.  Heck I heard of a guy who won the presidency whose own party leaders didn't even back him!  Surely you can convince a nosy neighbor your $60,000 truck won't hurt their property values!

Back
Top Bottom