We may buy our first RV in the morning!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrendaPete

My husband and I have been looking at RV's for a few years, never quite able to make the plunge.  I think at last we're ready, know what we want, and now just have to work out the sale. <gulp>.  We are looking at a 2018 Winnebago View with the V floor plan.  We had narrowed it down to this floorplan, and then went to an RV show today, drove it around, drove around the Via too, but like the View better.  This has the diesel gen, the fancy body paint, the infotainment system I like, so tmo we negotiate.  The RV Expo sale price is  113,000, or I have an opportunity on a 2017 for under 100k, no fancy paint, LP gen.  Really like the 18 better.  Any tips for pricing, what to look out for. etc. etc.?  We had a cabover camper in our 20's, bought it for $500 and loved it.  Now we're 50 and brand new to this.  Much bigger price tag and I don't want to screw it up, so appreciate any suggestions.
A bit about us, we are in our mid 50's, my husband is disabled, but can do some things now, will get worse though in time. Air travel is not comfortable for him anymore.  This is a great way for him to get out and still enjoy the world.  I want something that I am comfortable with and can drive with ease.  I am not mechanical.  I read all of your posts with awe.  We will have two small dogs with us for most of our travels.  I also have a terminally ill, but otherwise healthy, mom.  I would like to take her on some trips while I still can.  All the posts on easily installing this or that myself - not so easy peasy for me.  I have no idea how to even make the TV work in an RV.  Should I be negotiating in some sort of antenna or satellite, or something?
Anything you think I should be on the lookout for, or purchasing tips, I welcome you.  Please.  Thanks for any advice you may give!
-Brenda

It all depends on how important buying new is to you, just be aware there is a 2013 View 24V with under 10,000 miles on it complete with diesel generator listed on RV Trader right now in Texas with an asking price of $65,999, and who knows how low they would go.  Is that new RV smell and the newer info-tainment  worth an extra $45,000+?

Just because it's new doesn't mean there won't be problems. We've had two new RVs. A 5er and now a Winnabego. Problems with both. Had the 5er at the factory for electrical, bent axle and front cap removal for delamination. The Winnabego is going to the factory next month for a leak two dealers couldn't seem to fix. As for the entertainment system we have an antennae on our little TT and most places we get 15-20 channels. We also carry a bag of movies with us. Don't get me wrong; I like new, always buy new but it's like Isaac-1 said about the new smell and infotainment system-is it worth an additional $45k?

The "show price" is rarely the lowest possible - they typically offer 10-15% off MSRP, which is typical for what Rv dealers offer any time. Try for 20% or more, but make sure the MSRP is a real "manufacturer" price. Dealers sometimes add on expensive "paint protection" and other add-ons to boost the price thousands of dollars, then give that extra back and call it a discount.

And buying uses is not a guarantee of no problems either.  Sometimes it may be a gently used lovingly cared for rig, sometimes you buy someone else's problems.  I like new. That way someone else is responsible to fix any issues. But that is just me.

Welcome to RV'ing.

Most of the depreciation happens early on, so buying one a couple of years old can be a big savings, as others have said.  RV Trader is a wonderful resource for this.  Counting on the dealer to take care of things when it is new is only as good as that dealer.  If you read some of the posts on this site you will see that it is not a given that all dealers make it painless to fix issues.  Also, those issue may arise when you are far from home. It isn't necessarily like having a coast to coast Ford dealership you can go to.

If you decide to buy a used RV you can take it to a reputable RV repair shop where you live and pay them to give a careful inspection before you close the deal.  If the seller won't allow this you need to wonder why not.

I can see whey RV'ing would be attractive for you, but it worries me that you say that you are not mechanical.  In every RV, regardless of it being new or used things break, so you will get a chance to become mechanical.  Much of becoming mechanical is simply trying.  I find it very helpful when owning an RV to understand as much as possible about how it all works.

Well, we did buy it, and we're pretty darn excited.  My husband was a general contractor, specializing in plumbing, so he knows a lot about some of it.  I have some family members with more mechanical/vehicle knowledge than my husband and I.  I do feel more comfortable with new.  There may be problems, but they will have to fix it.  I tend to do the same thing with my cars too.  The only time we bought a used truck, it had so many problems and cost us so much money, we have never done it again.  I have enough going on in my life, I want my RV to be a joy not a curse.  We could have got a better price on a 2017, but there were some new features and set ups on the 18 that we both really liked.  Thanks to all of you, I was able to ask good questions.  The Winnebago rep was there, and we found him very helpful too.  He showed us some tricks to make the driver or passenger chair more comfortable for my husband, which was huge for us.
Test driving the View was a kick.  I don't feel intimidated by it, and that was important.  So a quick Woohooo! from us, then I will settle down and start learning what I need to know.  Thanks everyone!
Brenda

BrendaPete said:
Well, we did buy it, and we're pretty darn excited.  My husband was a general contractor, specializing in plumbing, so he knows a lot about some of it.  I have some family members with more mechanical/vehicle knowledge than my husband and I.  I do feel more comfortable with new.  There may be problems, but they will have to fix it.  I tend to do the same thing with my cars too.  The only time we bought a used truck, it had so many problems and cost us so much money, we have never done it again.  I have enough going on in my life, I want my RV to be a joy not a curse.  We could have got a better price on a 2017, but there were some new features and set ups on the 18 that we both really liked.  Thanks to all of you, I was able to ask good questions.  The Winnebago rep was there, and we found him very helpful too.  He showed us some tricks to make the driver or passenger chair more comfortable for my husband, which was huge for us.
Test driving the View was a kick.  I don't feel intimidated by it, and that was important.  So a quick Woohooo! from us, then I will settle down and start learning what I need to know.  Thanks everyone!
Brenda

Where are you guys located?  Someone nearby may come by and offer some suggestions.

Well, you're off and running. Hope you never have to come on here with a problem but if you do.....

How to make a signature for your RV so we can serve you better.

1. Click "Profile" button towards the top of the screen.

2. Scroll down a ways and select "Modify Profile"

3. Select Forum Profile

4. Fill it out and click on "Change profile".

Congratulations on your new home away from home.  We bought our first TT new.  I didn't know what a I didn't know.  It is quite a learning curve but once you get into it, it becomes much easier.  I too, was afraid of buying used the first time.  The warranty gave me a year to figure things out.  I will consider buying one a few years old next time and save the money but hopefully that is a few years down the road.  Enjoy your new RV.

Congratulations on your new rv! Hope you have some great adventures and enjoy your camper. Rv life is so much fun and there's always a great experience around the corner.

Thanks for the welcome!  We pick up our new RV on Monday, and we are so excited.  I spent most of this week with high anxiety over all the $$$ we spent, but the anxiety is fading into excitement, and will be even better once we actually have it home.  Now we're sifting through campground books, wondering where our first couple of trial trips should be.  The first will be within a very short radius to home and stores.  One helpful thread suggested my first trip be in the parking lot of the Container Store.  Love that!  ;)
Thanks for the tip on the Profile.  Let's see if it works....

Better yet, make the first trip to the driveway of your home (if that is allowed). Spend a night or two and you will likely be amazed at the number of little things you run back to the house to get.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Better yet, make the first trip to the driveway of your home (if that is allowed). Spend a night or two and you will likely be amazed at the number of little things you run back to the house to get.

X2.  A couple nights in the driveway is also the time to find out how to run everything and to make sure everything works. A campground is more fun but a far less convenient place to find these things out.

Parking in your driveway for a night is a good first step,  There is a lot to be said for also going to a local campground to try things out before your first long trip, especially if you are new to RV'ing.  It may be difficult to open all of your slideouts in your driveway.  You are not likely to have access to a 50A plugin at home.  You don't have a sewer inlet in your driveway.  If the RV park is near home you can still make trips hope to get the supplies or tools you may have forgotten.

We did get a permit to park in front of our house on the first night.  Our driveway is just a little too short, darn it.  That will be a good way to get used to the space and what we may want where.  There is a nice campground not far from my home and within a couple miles of my Mom's house and many stores.  Hope to have a weekend there very, very soon.
Thanks for the well wishes and advice.  You all are great!
Brenda

Very cool! Hopefully your enjoying RV. We are at the same point you were before you purchased. We are looking at purchasing RV and deciding on new or used. Also same anxiety, but know we're ready. Going to another RV show this weekend to checkout Coachmen Mirada 35kb. ?

Good luck to you.  Did you buy it?  I drove the RV the other day, and realized I was grinning ear to ear.  I am so happy to have one at last!  We've used it for multiple day trips as well.  It was so awesome, and saved the day for my Mom.  She is older and has health challenges.  She was able to get out of the house, go to a birthday beach party, and still have a place to go, get out of the sun, lay down, get a cold drink etc., whatever she needed.  It may have caused anxiety when I first committed to buying it, but the RV is worth every single penny.  Love it!!

Congrats!  You'll like the View!  I too bought new because I needed the warranty.  And I spent the first night in my driveway with my previous motorhome.  Now, when I bounce down the curb to leave, I grin from ear to ear too.  It's like launching a ship into the water, and I sing Willie Nelson's "On the Road Again!"  Good good times are ahead!

Back
Top Bottom