Question for all...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaunsmo

So I recently upgraded to a 2018 FR Salem 32BHDS and I cannot be more excited for the weather to change so I can de-winterize and take it out.  To take the edge off from waiting I have been researching the web about new gadgets, must haves and nice to have items to make the camper more. 

So far, I've purchased the Water Reg, Hydroflush, Anderson Levels, Surge Protector, tank sprayers etc... 

I was wondering what are your "Must Have's" and/or "I'm so glad I got" or even something that catches the eyes of your neighbors?? 

The Andersen Clean Step or something similar (from a hardware store) is really good at helping keep sand/dirt from being tracked in. I like the Andersen because it is a thicker and makes it a bit easier getting on/off the bottom step. We used to use regular door mats but they got soaked if it rained and they held the dirt (only useful if you want to haul crud from one campground to another :)) and we'd replace one every year.

Just a humorous outlook, save your receipts. You won't be needing a lot of the stuff you might think you just gotta have. Proper care of your black water tank and you'll have little to no need of a wand. Surge protector is a must have. Water regulator...check.

When I got my first coach Amazon fell in love with me. Now I have a couple of shelves in my shop with the "stuff" from Amazon.

Good luck and I hope you have a wonderful time going from adventure to adventure.

Gotta agree with John - don't go overboard.  You will probably get a potable water hose and sewer hose with the RV - the dealer usually throws those in. You may want a 30A extension cord, but probably no rush on that. Most items can be picked up at a local Walmart if you find you need something in a hurry.

Some of what you get will depend on your road trippin' style. A lot of folks on here are parked and snuggled before dark every day.  We, on the other hand, sometimes travel until midnight or later, when we are trying to get to a destination, and then snag a spot in a rest stop to sleep for 4 - 5 hours. It's real handy to have an inverter in those cases so you can watch a DVD or make a cup of coffee without firing the genny. Still, if you are new to the game, I agree with others who say don't go crazy but figure out what you need as you go. It's easy to go buy stuff because it makes you feel like you are lovin' on your rig when you can't be on the road with it.

yeah a new truck to pull that trailer with

New 2017 Forest River RV Salem 32BHDS
Sleeps 9
Gross Weight 11070 lbs
Dry Weight 8283 lbs
Cargo Weight 2787 lbs

at 10,000 lbs with cargo an people in the truck your not going to like travels pulling that size trailer with a little F150 - sorry i hope your planning to use that F250

steveblonde said:
yeah a new truck to pull that trailer with

New 2017 Forest River RV Salem 32BHDS
Sleeps 9
Gross Weight 11070 lbs
Dry Weight 8283 lbs
Cargo Weight 2787 lbs

at 10,000 lbs with cargo an people in the truck your not going to like travels pulling that size trailer with a little F150 - sorry i hope your planning to use that F250

I just got my new to me camper about 2 months ago.  I have compiled a list - stored on the computer - of all major components, brand, model and serial number for easy future reference.  I have purchased and installed a Progressive Industries HW50-C  EMS.  I extended the handle on the bathroom vent cover, added a USB plug beside the bed to charge phones without 120 power, and a few other minor repairs due to being a used FW.

The one item I would suggest is a TPMS, or Tire Pressure Monitoring System.  Several brands are available, and all will provide real time pressure and temperature for EACH tire with a sensor (screws onto valve stem)  AND alarm to any over pressure or under pressure to overheated situation, usually before the tire threads and damages the camper or tow vehicle.  Like the EMS, it is a very cost effective insurance policy.

A notepad and pencil/pen.  Or the electronic equivalent (iPad/tablet, etc.).  This is used to write down (or type in) all the things you forgot or wish you had while you are on a trip.  I realize you won't really be able to use this until you are out on a trip, but you will find this is truly one of the most indispensable items you can have.  As soon as you realize you forgot something or need something, write it down.  If you say "I'll write it down later", it's already too late.  You will forget by the time you get to your notepad.  Trust me on this.

Where do you live - City and State?

Once you De-winterize it - camp in your driveway (if possible) for a few nights.
That will tell you what you might like to take with you that's still in the house.

But like others said - don't go overboard and take everything so you have all the comforts of home.
Everything you pack has some weight to it.  It adds up fast.  IF you have to have something you can
usually find it not far from where your camping.

Must have - A "Home is Where I Park It" door mat and bumper sticker.  Also, please make sure you have the T-Shirt that says "RV there yet?".  Those never get old.

A "junk drawer" of stuff.  Tape-duct,electrical,Scotch.  Sewing supplies,safety pins.  Super glue.  Stuff like that.

A journal. You will never regret it. We have kept them for years and when we cant be on the road we read them. You wont believe the things we forget.

Back
Top Bottom