Towing and making right hand turns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SeilerBird said:
Right hand turns are very easy and safe done the right way. I watch my right hand mirror and as soon the rear tire is passed the corner of the curb I make the turn. Once your rear wheel is past the curb there is no way you can hit the curb. You are passed it.

Thank you for the advice, SeilerBird! I probably turned way early and was saved probably by the wide swing I took. Still blessed or lucky lol. You know, actually I made several right turns on the way home... The one I mentioned was the only tight one. All were made with wide  swings, though. I will practice.

Oldgator73 said:
When I pulled a 5th wheel, 38?, I always put my right turn signal on, stayed in the right lane and entered the intersection. How far I got into the intersection depended on how many lanes I was turning into. If one lane to turn into, not so far. If two a little farther. If conditions allowed I might swing out a bit to make the turn easier. With a longer trailer I never had a problem with anybody trying to pass on the right since the trailer always blocked their path. I kept an eye on the trailer wheels to insure they were not headed for the curb. At the same time you have to keep on eye on the vehicles in the oncoming lane(s) you turning into. There were few instances where folks had stopped well beyond the white line making it impossible for for me to complete the turn unless they backed up.

There was only one lane for me to turn into when I made that tight turn. I think I was watching in front of me more than the trailer wheels, though. Sandy was following behind with her grandson and said I missed all curbs fairly well. Blessed or lucky. I said  to her just now that from now on, I want her with me and not behind LOL when I'm pulling our trailer! We took her car along so we could go have lunch while the technicians worked on my truck. 

Mark&Sandy

HueyPilotVN said:
A little off the subject but when I was pulling my Stacker and was 77 feet long I would always prefer to make 3 left turns instead of one right turn.  During a left turn it is much easier to see the trailer and you have much more room from the left curb.

It is not always possible but when it is it really helps.

That tip is worth just what it cost you.

Avoiding right turns that could be dicey... Thank you! Good advice.

Mark&Sandy

Mark, thanks for taking the time to ask the question. Far too many people get behind the wheel of a large vehicle with the attitude that it drives just like a passenger car, then mindlessly bang into things.

Also: two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

If I signal right then move left over the line to start my turn I risk being rear ended, I have had more than one motorist lay on the brakes and the horn. I don't want to turn too soon  to avoid running the trailer wheels onto the curb. If I have to pull too far into the intersection before starting the turn I end up sticking my nose into the oncoming lane like I often see the otr guys do.

SargeW said:
I use the same process to make a right turn on a city street and in a campground when driving the RV. With the Jeep hooked up I am close to 60' long. When I approach a right turn I start moving to the left side of the lane. In some cases I will cross into the lane next to me (if it's a multi lane road in my direction). I will be signaling a RIGHT TURN and moving slowly. As I cross into the intersection and keep my steer wheels straight until the last moment before cranking hard right and bringing the front of the rig into my intended direction. 

Yes, if there is a vehicle in the #1 lane stopped going the opposite way, I may cause some pretty wide eyed looks as I come about. This is the same method used by semi truck drivers negotiating tight right turns. This has come through experience in maneuvering this long rig, and knowledge of the rigs 60 degree wheel cut and learning how to use it.  If a worse case scenario were to develop where you couldn't make the turn without crossing into the on coming traffic, or possibly hitting a sign or light pole on your right side because you couldn't/didn't turn out far enough, STOP AND WAIT. I would rather cause a little traffic jam and make a few folks mad as opposed to damaging my rig, or being in an accident. 

NEVER signal a false direction and change mid stream. At the very least that is a cite-able offense, and may be criminal if an accident were to occur. Practice and familiarity is your best friend. And I never roll without my dash cam running in the rig. I know I am a safe driver, but can't predict anyone else's ability.

Thank you for the advice! Regarding your first paragraph, this is pretty much what I remember doing with my "tight" turn. Also, regarding having not having turned out far enough, possibly, if I find myself in that situation, I will STOP AND WAIT for the lead vehicle to pull out or back up. I've seen truckers do this very thing and never thought much about it.

Mark&Sandy

Gary RV_Wizard said:
We've towed 5ws and driven long wheelbase motorhomes (with toad) and learned to be ultra-cautious in any right turn situation.  Some of that knowledge was gained the old-fashioned way in the School of Hard Knocks.  My basic technique is the fade to the left as much as practical in the situation, even while signalling right.  It is also crucial to pull as far into the intersection as possible before beginning the turn. My co-pilot helps by watching the mirror on her side cause I also have to keep track of other traffic in front and left.  Sometimes I have to intimidate traffic to get enough room to turn safely,  pushing the nose out  and waiting for others to get out of the way.  Many drivers are courteous about your need for extra maneuvering space, but inevitably a few are not, or are at least reluctant to yield.  I've received some rude gestures and comments in  my time, but I can live with that.  I try not to be arrogant in demanding a right-of-way, though.

Huey Pilot makes an excellent suggestion: avoid right turns in congested areas.  In fact, avoid all congested areas whenever possible.  I find it worthwhile to drive a few extra miles or take the long way around a block to avoid potential damage and the frustration of maneuvering in traffic.  Most cities have truck route bypasses, so use them.  And pay attention if a GPS routes you through a town - it is often avoidable. Most nav programs, even those touted for RVs, don't make routing decisions based on rig length.  You can program to avoid bridges or tolls, but not to avoid right turns or narrow streets.

As I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, I will have my co-pilot with me from now on in this situation, if at all possible, to keep an eye on the mirrors. I think I am also sold on avoiding right hand turns that look like they could be trouble. I don't have GPS and have spent enough money lately so will wait on it lol.

Thank you, Gary, for the advice!

Mark&Sandy 

spencerpj said:
Every intersection is different.  For me, if it looks like it will be a tight one, I wiggle my wheel, causing the trailer rear end to wiggle (basically the clue to back off) and proceed slowly ::).  If it's that tight, I have passed the intersection, gone down and turned around.

Thank you! In that situation I will proceed slowly or go on to an easier turn.

Mark&Sandy

ArdraF said:
Getting back to the original post, Seilerbird was correct.  A longer vehicle needs to go farther into the intersection before turning right and this means you need to get the rear axle to the corner before starting the right turn.  In order to have the rear-most tire clear the curb that axle needs to pass the corner and be a bit past it.  If you can avoid swinging wide you're better to stay in your own lane so the swing-out doesn't hit something or someone, but that's not always possible.  When I'm in the car and encounter a large vehicle in a right turn lane I try to hang back a bit to provide the large vehicle some extra room to maneuver.  But not everyone understands this if they don't drive a large vehicle themselves.

And, please, everyone - use your turn signal for the direction in which you intend to go because others will be confused and you most likely will cause an accident eventually!  Please do not signal left when you're going right!

ArdraF

Thank you, Ardra! The initial landmark will be getting the rear axle to the corner before starting the turn. Co-pilot can  tell me when that is. Good advice!!!

Mark&Sandy

HappyWanderer said:
Mark, thanks for taking the time to ask the question. Far too many people get behind the wheel of a large vehicle with the attitude that it drives just like a passenger car, then mindlessly bang into things.

Also: two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

You are welcome and also thanks for the nice comment. I will remember that three lefts make a right LOL!

Mark&Sandy

Each Intersection has it's challenges (as others have said) But just Watch the truck drivers... Left or Right turns..They Swing Wide, passed the centerline.. then steer back in to the chosen/proper lane. The trailer then, and will.. "cut" right in behind.

HueyPilotVN said:
A little off the subject but when I was pulling my Stacker and was 77 feet long I would always prefer to make 3 left turns instead of one right turn.  During a left turn it is much easier to see the trailer and you have much more room from the left curb.

It is not always possible but when it is it really helps.

That tip is worth just what it cost you.

even further off topic, but this brings up a funny thing, I used to know a guy, who after his wife had something like 3 or 4 rather bad accidents over a rather short period of time, all while turning left (in her cars not RV).... he "forbid" left turns.  I think she may have totaled a few of them...Safer to make 3 rights.....  I think generally speaking he was right.
Just general driving, I'll go a good bit out of my way to avoid a left across heavy traffic that's not at a light....especially in my RV or when towing the boat.

BIG JOE said:
Each Intersection has it's challenges (as others have said) But just Watch the truck drivers... Left or Right turns..They Swing Wide, passed the centerline.. then steer back in to the chosen/proper lane. The trailer then, and will.. "cut" right in behind.

Thank you for the advice! I will be watching the truckers!

Mark&Sandy

blw2 said:
Just general driving, I'll go a good bit out of my way to avoid a left across heavy traffic that's not at a light....especially in my RV or when towing the boat.

Good advice. I do that when I'm not pulling a trailer lol.

Mark&Sandy

I think I am also sold on avoiding right hand turns that look like they could be trouble.

But when choosing your turns, be sure that you don't come to a spot where you have no reasonable way out -- some areas don't have much maneuvering room for larger/longer vehicles. With my 38 ft. motorhome and toad, I can't back up without unhitching, so it's something I always must watch (I've been caught a time or two). With a trailer it's not as bad, but it's still a consideration for you.

mpolsue1 said:
As I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, I will have my co-pilot with me from now on in this situation, if at all possible, to keep an eye on the mirrors.

Negative: the driver is responsible for the operation of the vehicle. This is simply another skill that needs to be learned.

HappyWanderer said:
Negative: the driver is responsible for the operation of the vehicle. This is simply another skill that needs to be learned.

My copilot does keep an eye out in her mirror only if it doesn't impede my vision. I'm in charge when I'm driving and that mirror needs to be available to me all the time.

I have a lieutenant with the bad habit of watching the passenger side mirror. I'm constantly telling him to either switch seats, or keep his fat head out of my mirror!

Rene T said:
My copilot does keep an eye out in her mirror only if it doesn't impede my vision. I'm in charge when I'm driving and that mirror needs to be available to me all the time.
HappyWanderer said:
I have a lieutenant with the bad habit of watching the passenger side mirror. I'm constantly telling him to either switch seats, or keep his fat head out of my mirror!

LOL - this is the only time I'm allowed to give orders to Kim and not get in trouble. She moves quickly when she hears "sit back" and knows it's important!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoadSage
Back
Top Bottom