2019 Ram 1500 Limited

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sightseers said:
here in America I once had a 26k GVW commercial truck  De-rated to 18K GWV...just so my wife could drive it on a regular drivers license.  when ever I went through scales it would be redlighted at anything over 18k. even though the truck could go 26k.

Those Yellow stickers are there to establish the manufacture's vehicle and tire warrantys...    they were never intended to be used as a maximum vehicle Highway weight limit. 

once you put on a set of shiny new aftermarket wheels and tires on your new pickup truck, ....the yellow sticker is no longer of any legal value.
:)) :)) :))
:))

Food for thought, if you down grade it to a lower gvwr you'll never be in any trouble.  However, upgrading and adding a 1 ton axle still doesnt upgrade the frame or the suspension.  That limit on your door jam is there for a reason.  If you excede the vehicles GVWR you are liable for any over weight violations.  As well, if you cause an accident and someone is killed, you get to spend the time in prison because you ignored your vehicles manufacturers specifications.

With that being said, if your upgrades are engineered and you have the vehicle certified by a licenced shop to carry more weight as well as upgrading your vehicles insurance to carry that weight then all the power to you.

If any of the above is missed and you cause an accident....its your ass thats in the sling...

I have read your post and I'll say this..

First,  I have had a CDL since 1974 and made a life driving large construction vehicles.

I have been tagged overweight so many times I can even remember,  I'd guess 50 or so at least. I was paid well by my all my employees to violate the laws, (as do about 80% of the companies) I've driven around scales and melted over weight tires many times.

I've never killed anyone on the roads.....(in the jungle, yes).

Violations on the road to a professional driver is a cost of doing business.

If you ever kill someone driving an overloaded truck,  you will never be sent to prison.  They will get the limits of your insurance and that's it....sorry.

The world between Commercial weight limits and non-commercial (pickup truck) weight restrictions is HUGE.  Here in America you won't see Toyota pickups going through the Truck Scales.

back to the post. (and reality)

There is nothing wrong or illegal for a person to "beef up" that 1500 series truck suspension to tow a trailer better.

You will need to stay on your toes driving it,  and you will not be arrested/imprisoned if you are in an accident.

None of this owner mod legality debate is helpful to the OP.    He is buying a new truck and appears to want one that has the stated capability to what he plans on doing, i.e. pull his trailer and carry his passengers & gear.  He even said he would be interested in a 3/4 ton (2500) if he could get it with the features he likes.

The fact remains that the Tire & Loading sticker represents the vehicle manufacturers official opinion of what the truck can safely and reliably carry.

We just started our search.  The Ram website is not completely informative.  It appears the Ram Laramie has reclining rear seats in the 1500 and 2500.  I need to compare the numbers for both.  The configuration options and resulting payload and towing numbers are like a poorly worded exam question.  The 1500 configuration we like appears on further review to give us about 11k in towing capacity.  The TTs we are looking at are under 30 feet and under 10k pounds.  One of the features that gives the 1500 more capacity is airbags and I'm not sure how reliable they are over time.  We have not driven or looked closely at the 2500 yet.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
None of this owner mod legality debate is helpful to the OP.    He is buying a new truck and appears to want one that has the stated capability to what he plans on doing, i.e. pull his trailer and carry his passengers & gear.  He even said he would be interested in a 3/4 ton (2500) if he could get it with the features he likes.

The fact remains that the Tire & Loading sticker represents the vehicle manufacturers official opinion of what the truck can safely and reliably carry.

Thank you agreed 100%

Gary RV_Wizard said:

The problem with driving a 2500 or a 3500 series truck every day... when the only time you actually need the additional carrying capacity is to go on an occasional vacation.  For a 3/4 and 1 ton here in CA, you pay a premium annual registration tax of several hundred dollars every year,  as well as the fuel millage decrees because of the heavier truck,  as the fuel prices sit at near $4 per gallon....all year long.

Driving a small turbo-ed engine 1/2 truck every day that is capable of towing a 12k trailer once and a while is fine with me all year long. even if I have to add air bags and oversize tires.   

If you tow a 20k 5th wheel every day all over the country forget any pickup truck,  and get a nicely equipped 4 door Freightliner F700 truck.

Sightseers, it happens.  Ive been driving with a CDL for 20 years myself.  If you knowingly operate your vehicle in an unsafe manner you can go to prison, period.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/laid-humboldt-bus-crash-update-driver-info-1.4736826

A link to prove my point, it wasnt over weight, but knowingly operated in an unsafe manner.  Its called "vehicular manslaughter", look it up.

Good luck with your unsafe practices...

I see what you are saying, but

This is America and we don't enforce laws the same way as Canada does...(as you can tell by our immigration laws.  ;) )

The reality is... we don't even have enough prisons to keep the murderers in.

Laws are only as good as the enforcement is. 

...it's different here, we have more illegal people living here in America... than all the people living in Canada.

OP, remember to read the fine print on what your towing capacities are.  With a half ton its always your payload that is the limiting factor.  My truck is a 17 ram 1500 with the hd towing package, my payload is 1494lbs.  My TT is roughly 6400lbs loaded and after my family is in the truck the hitch weight from our TT literally maxes out the truck "legally".  I have no issues towing it, but its quite noticable how much sag is in the rear end.  I have an 8000lb E2 equalizer hitch and have it on its maximum settings.  The truck and trailer ride level.

Be sure to check what your truck can actually tow, as well as match your truck to your needs.  If your going to tow alot a larger truck may be more of an option.  If your only going to tow a couple times a year, it may be smarter to have some comfort in a half ton year round.
We're going to be towing our tt a few times a year with one long trip and a bunch of local trips so for me being maxed out isnt an issue.

Sightseers, not everyone in the forum is from the US, many tow into Canada and are subject to our applicable laws while here.  To boot, Ive been stateside and was detained until my overweight fines were paid, the US does do things in a different way. 

OP, not trying to steer you away from your dream truck but check out the competition as well, my sister in law has the exact same trailer as I do and bought a chev heavy half ton truck, the payload capacity on her truck is quite a bit higher at 2200lbs.  Their half ton is loaded while mine is bare bones and her truck still has a significantly better payload....

I definitely have more homework to do.  Thank you all and any additional insights are always welcome.

Logger Joe said:
Sightseers, not everyone in the forum is from the US, many tow into Canada and are subject to our applicable laws while here.  To boot, Ive been stateside and was detained until my overweight fines were paid, the US does do things in a different way.

I agree,  and the problem is.... what is legal in other states and countries, is it legal in Canada....probably not.  Canada is brutal on all laws... vehicles, guns, immigration.

On a private vehicle.. something might be perfectly legal to do in one state... but not in another. so the cops just say.. please go away.

I've seen many fatal truck accidents over the years in ever stage of the accident, I have never seen them do an accident scene truck weighing.  Their primary goal is sweep it up as quickly as possible and get the freeway back open.

They will scale  you and pull you off the road in Idaho last time i checked that was part of the United States Hayden countt did it to my buddy pulling a fuzion 5er with an f250 said he was 600lbs over his limit ( its wirth noting i think he was akso speeding )
So dont say only in canada and wont happen in the US

steveblonde said:
They will scale  you and pull you off the road in Idaho last time i checked that was part of the United States Hayden countt did it to my buddy pulling a fuzion 5er with an f250 said he was 600lbs over his limit ( its wirth noting i think he was akso speeding )
So dont say only in canada and wont happen in the US

on a private vehicle the GVW of the truck when it was built by the factory is no longer the legal limiting factor.  The tire load rating is the law...over tire weight.. is the only over weight.  modifications to a private vehicle to increase load capacity, including high capacity wheels and tires are not ILLEGAL.

go ahead and take the F250 emblems and the yellow sticker off. ..it's your truck.  ( just for fun put some RAM3500 badges on it... 8) )

We can only hope that everyone has enough sense to not listen to terrible advice.  Like go ahead and grossly overload your truck, its perfectly legal in the US.....lol

How do you feel about a Lincoln stretch limousine Joe ?....They were never meant to carry 10 passengers by the factory. 

have driven trucks here for the last 40 years I do know how the "Real" world on the road is...

I feel the bottom line besides legallity is safety.  How many of us actually want to share the road with someone that clearly disregards safety practices?  I know I dont.  I travel with my 4 kids and my wife, my most precious cargo is my family and their safety is paramount to me.  Can I haul a trailer that is over the weight limitations of the vehicle safely? Yes, but I have a large amount of experience in that department, how many weekend warriors out there have enough experience with hauling heavy to know just how to handle an over limitations vehicle? I doubt many could or should....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom