Getting Started: Buying A used 5th Wheel for our needs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hopefully others can address pulling a second trailer.  In the beginning it sounded like you wouldn't be taking long trips. 

Pulling a 2nd trailer is a thing.  Personally I'd only do it if it is supported by the manufacturer.  We recently bought an Arctic Fox 27.5L with the factory installed receiver.  I wouldn't consider and "add on" hitch unless I knew the installer really knew what he was doing.  Frame reinforcements and whatnot.

Now....soon we'll know if we did right, just closed on the trailer that will go behind.  With the ATV we'll be a bit under 2000 lbs.  I'm a bit hesitant on how much we will like this arrangement - but it will only be used when we go ATVing...the rest of the time we'll just pull the 5th wheel. 

If you can fit the "stuff" on the trailer - even on a system attached to the receiver hitch you'll be better served.  The double tow adds a lot of complexity.....

-Chak

Chakara said:
  Pulling a 2nd trailer is a thing.  Personally I'd only do it if it is supported by the manufacturer.  We recently bought an Arctic Fox 27.5L with the factory installed receiver.  I wouldn't consider and "add on" hitch unless I knew the installer really knew what he was doing.  Frame reinforcements and whatnot.

Now....soon we'll know if we did right, just closed on the trailer that will go behind.  With the ATV we'll be a bit under 2000 lbs.  I'm a bit hesitant on how much we will like this arrangement - but it will only be used when we go ATVing...the rest of the time we'll just pull the 5th wheel. 

If you can fit the "stuff" on the trailer - even on a system attached to the receiver hitch you'll be better served.  The double tow adds a lot of complexity.....

-Chak

Agree on the Manfactures hitch and support.  We would be towing an aluminum trailer with an ATV and a couple kayaks.  I would estimate our weight at 2k or less.  Like you this would be an exception but I want the option.

How do you like the Artic Fox? It's one of the units I am interested in.  There are a couple use units in the area that we will be looking at Saturday.

FB

darsben said:
With your height maybe a travel trailer would do better for you. Usually the same headroom throughout the unit. So no unexpected head bumping

I don't know of a travel trailer with enough headroom for someone as tall as you.  I'm 6'2" and feel uncomfortable in them.  We've owned 3 but are in a 5th wheel now.
Heat rises, with your head brushing the ceiling your going to notice the difference in temp.  Our 5th wheel has gobs of headroom in the living area.  The front isn't much of a problem since most of your time spent there is at night.  If possible, shop in the summer.  A/C is a big problem with many 5th wheels.  I don't know if it's poor insulation, undersized A/C units or lack of sufficient airflow.  With both units running we can't get our trailer under 78 degrees unless it's in the shade  That's with temps in the 90s. The dealer says "...it the nature of the beast." there's nothing they can do.

New vs used.  We've owned 3 travel trailers and now our first 5th wheel.  All 3 of our travel trailers were used.  My opinion.  It's pretty easy to tell if an RV was taken care of well.  Only one trailer gave us any grief and that was after 4 years of ownership.  We had the others 10 and 6 years and tires were the only things we had to replace.  Our brand new 5th wheel has been trouble from the first time out.  It's two years old and I am still making repairs and adjustments.  It's a 36' Keystone Montana.  Many will say it's amongst the best quality units out there and it may be but we will shop used for the next one.  New will be a last resort if we can't find anything used that we like.  Let someone else deal with getting a new one in shape.
Here is a YouTube video on the subject of who builds the best RV:  https://youtu.be/-f2zORy_FLc

Another helpful video to help you decide on what to buy
BIG TRUCK-BIG RV
https://youtu.be/e6nlnInrxgg

UnclKracker said:
I don't know of a travel trailer with enough headroom for someone as tall as you.  I'm 6'2" and feel uncomfortable in them.  We've owned 3 but are in a 5th wheel now.
Heat rises, with your head brushing the ceiling your going to notice the difference in temp.  Our 5th wheel has gobs of headroom in the living area.  The front isn't much of a problem since most of your time spent there is at night.  If possible, shop in the summer.  A/C is a big problem with many 5th wheels.  I don't know if it's poor insulation, undersized A/C units or lack of sufficient airflow.  With both units running we can't get our trailer under 78 degrees unless it's in the shade  That's with temps in the 90s. The dealer says "...it the nature of the beast." there's nothing they can do.

New vs used.  We've owned 3 travel trailers and now our first 5th wheel.  All 3 of our travel trailers were used.  My opinion.  It's pretty easy to tell if an RV was taken care of well.  Only one trailer gave us any grief and that was after 4 years of ownership.  We had the others 10 and 6 years and tires were the only things we had to replace.  Our brand new 5th wheel has been trouble from the first time out.  It's two years old and I am still making repairs and adjustments.  It's a 36' Keystone Montana.  Many will say it's amongst the best quality units out there and it may be but we will shop used for the next one.  New will be a last resort if we can't find anything used that we like.  Let someone else deal with getting a new one in shape.
Here is a YouTube video on the subject of who builds the best RV:  https://youtu.be/-f2zORy_FLc

I figured there would be some corners cut on items like air conditioners and furnace.  How many BTU is your air conditioner?  Have you thought about a second portable unit?

Based on what I am readng, new units often have issues.  The biggest concern I have is water damage so I need to find ways to find it.  I saw a you tube video on using a quarter to tap on the exterior and interior walls to find water logged panels.  Also there has been good advice on this site for where to look for water problems.

I can see doing a quality review is key to getting a good unit.

Thanks!

FB

Pulling a second trailer??

Some of the western states allow a boat trailer to be towed behind a fifth wheel but most do not permit even that. None (AFIK) permit towing any kind of trailer behind a travel trailer (AKA bumper hitch). Motor homes do not have that restriction.

Alfa38User said:
Pulling a second trailer??

Some of the western states allow a boat trailer to be towed behind a fifth wheel but most do not permit even that. None (AFIK) permit towing any kind of trailer behind a travel trailer (AKA bumper hitch). Motor homes do not have that restriction.

Ok, I thought you could pull a trailer behind a 5th wheel trailer?  Maybe I am mistaken?  Any idea what're I can find what is allowed be state?  I know in my home state of Minnesota you can pull a boat behind a 5th wheel.  I'll need to do some checking.

Freeborn said:
Ok, I thought you could pull a trailer behind a 5th wheel trailer?  Maybe I am mistaken?  Any idea what're I can find what is allowed be state?  I know in my home state of Minnesota you can pull a boat behind a 5th wheel.  I'll need to do some checking.

You might start here: https://gillettesinterstaterv.com/blog/can-you-triple-tow-an-rv-legality-and-safety/

Alfa38User said:
You might start here: https://gillettesinterstaterv.com/blog/can-you-triple-tow-an-rv-legality-and-safety/

Thank you,

I did not realize it was that regulated and potentially a pain to work within.

Once retired and we travel longer distances we would not tow a trailer but with shorter Trips within the region we would like the option.  We would like to have kayaks on our trips and maybe an ATV.

I'll need to spend some time understanding how this impacts our plans.  Towing a trailer is not a primary need but it would be nice depending on the situation. 

I often see bikes on the back of 5th wheelers is there a way to attach kayaks?

Looks like I'll need to keep an eye on overall length.

Thanks!

Arctic Fox? Good brand. Very Heavy, but well built frames, structure and suspension / running gear. Only average on fit and finish. And forget the Arctic portion. They aren't a whole lot better in really cold weather than anything else on the market. I doubt you will be disappointed if you buy one, but if this is a starter unit for you, then it may be more than you need. That, or you'll just end up keeping it long term. :) One thing about it, a used one tends to hold its value very well.

Whether you can have a double tow (FW + Trailer) varies state to state.  The best I can remember, no state allows a double tow with a bumper pull (ball receiver) as the first unit - FW only.  Google State Towing Laws.  Here is one source.

http://www.hitchemup.com/statetowinglaws.htm

Frank B said:
Arctic Fox? Good brand. Very Heavy, but well built frames, structure and suspension / running gear. Only average on fit and finish. And forget the Arctic portion. They aren't a whole lot better in really cold weather than anything else on the market. I doubt you will be disappointed if you buy one, but if this is a starter unit for you, then it may be more than you need. That, or you'll just end up keeping it long term. :) One thing about it, a used one tends to hold its value very well.

Thanks for the input on the Artic Fox.  I'm still early in the process but I'm wide open.  I'm also looking at keeping the price down on the first unit until we retire.  There are a couple Artic Fox for sale near me, a 2006 and 2011.  There are also a few Keystone laredos of similar age.

We have not even been in the units yet but we're starting this Saturday.

Thanks!

FB

Freeborn, if you are anywhere close to Champlin, MN you are welcome to stop by and check out the floor plan in our 5th wheel.  We really like it.  The rear living room and kitchen would accommodate your height.  We have two recliners that can be easily switched out to a chair that you might like better.

MN Blue Skies said:
Freeborn, if you are anywhere close to Champlin, MN you are welcome to stop by and check out the floor plan in our 5th wheel.  We really like it.  The rear living room and kitchen would accommodate your height.  We have two recliners that can be easily switched out to a chair that you might like better.

Thanks MN Blue Skies,

I appreciate the offer but for now we will start with a dealer.  We should get a sense of layout and quality by looking at a bunch of different units.

Thanks again,

FB

Since you plan on triple towing you will need to measure your truck, trailer and determine maximum 5er length. The truck and trailer lengths aren't going to change. So you will need a 5er that meets your needs and is short enough to keep you legal.

I triple tow in Illinois. Our maximum length is 60', however that is a misleading statement. Class I (interstate) and Class II (state highways) roads have no length restrictions. It's the local roads, township, cities, etc. where the length restriction comes into play. Plus there is a 5 mile exemption on the local roads for gas, to final destination, and to camper storage facility. Read your states laws carefully. Most websites only state Illinois has a 60' maximum length limit, which isn't a true statement.

You say how long your kayaks are, can you carry them on the truck roof and leave the trailer at home?
Another option is the roof of the 5er to carry the kayaks, however you need to verify the ladder will hold your weight. I have seen custom brackets for on top of TT with a roll bar on the back end to make loading and unloading easier.

To give you some perspective. My truck is a Supercab with 6.5' bed (standard bed). Tip to tail of the truck is 19.25', however the 5er will overhand the bed of the truck 49".
My boat is 16.4' and on the trialer I am at 18.5'.
19.25 + 18.5 = 37.75' Max length is 60' - 37.75' = 22.25' Plus the 4' overhang in the bed and I am restricted to a 22.25 + 4 = 26.25' 5th wheel. Very few 5th wheel under 27'. I believe MN. has a 65' length limit. If you used my truck and boat, that leaves room for 31.25' 5th wheel. There are a ton more options in the 30' and under group.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom