Getting Started: Buying A used 5th Wheel for our needs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hanr3 said:
Since you plan on triple towing you will need to measure your truck, trailer and determine maximum 5er length. The truck and trailer lengths aren't going to change. So you will need a 5er that meets your needs and is short enough to keep you legal.

I triple tow in Illinois. Our maximum length is 60', however that is a misleading statement. Class I (interstate) and Class II (state highways) roads have no length restrictions. It's the local roads, township, cities, etc. where the length restriction comes into play. Plus there is a 5 mile exemption on the local roads for gas, to final destination, and to camper storage facility. Read your states laws carefully. Most websites only state Illinois has a 60' maximum length limit, which isn't a true statement.

You say how long your kayaks are, can you carry them on the truck roof and leave the trailer at home?
Another option is the roof of the 5er to carry the kayaks, however you need to verify the ladder will hold your weight. I have seen custom brackets for on top of TT with a roll bar on the back end to make loading and unloading easier.

To give you some perspective. My truck is a Supercab with 6.5' bed (standard bed). Tip to tail of the truck is 19.25', however the 5er will overhand the bed of the truck 49".
My boat is 16.4' and on the trialer I am at 18.5'.
19.25 + 18.5 = 37.75' Max length is 60' - 37.75' = 22.25' Plus the 4' overhang in the bed and I am restricted to a 22.25 + 4 = 26.25' 5th wheel. Very few 5th wheel under 27'. I believe MN. has a 65' length limit. If you used my truck and boat, that leaves room for 31.25' 5th wheel. There are a ton more options in the 30' and under group.

Hi Hanr3,

I can see I need to do some homework for pulling a second trailer.  Before we retire our trips would most likely be limited to Minnesota, South Dakota and Wisconsin.  These are the areas we take our long weekend trips and we know the areas well.

I can understand the limits on length and metro driving, I know I will be going from point A to point B with few if any deviations.  I would also have my diesel stops figured out

Thanks for the example on length, it helps to see it visually.  I knew there were length limitations that is why I'm focused on units that are 30' or less.  I grew up camping with my folks starting with tents, then a pickup camper/with tents.  My parents took 6 kids camping with little room so We will be just fine with the unit we buy.

It does surprise me the number of different models, does anybody have a cross reference between model and who makes them?  It would be nice to know the level (supposed quality) of the units so if I wanted to compare apples to apples I could make some sense of it.

Thanks so Much!

FB

The two primary manufacturers are THOR  Industries and FOREST RIVER.  There are several others, like Airstream, Nothwood and others.  Within those are brand names, each with their own different models and floor plans.  Go to their web sites, and you can develop your own family tree.  I am not aware of one already in existence. I developed a partial list for my own use a couple years ago.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cory5999
Back
Top Bottom