Checking air pressure on my MH Duals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Murphcrud

Hello,
I was checking the air pressure in my Michelin LT 2.25/75R16 (Canada) tires and found that I can only get a reading on front tires (65 psi), but rear dual tires would not register a reading.  I am aware of the extenders on the inside set but why would I not get a reading on either set?  Valve stem issue?  ON ALL FOUR?  All six tires were replaced at the same time.  Who has the answer?
Thank you

Most likely you simply cannot get the air chuck fully onto the valve stem to depress the pin. Duallys tend to be awkward if you don't have the exact right gauge/chuck.

Can you depress the center pin with a tool of some sort and hear air spurt out? If so, the extension and valve are fine and your problem is in mating up to it. If not, maybe the extensions are seated properly, or are damaged somehow.

Hello Gary,
We tried 3 different pressure gauges, all worked on front tires, but none on Duallys.
Tried depressing valve but no air was dispersed.  I also tried putting more air into tires, but was able to do so.  I noticed a green valve stem cap on one inner if this indicates anything?  Other side, was missing the inner stem cap.  I am hoping that I will not have to replace the valve stems, but this may be my only option.

I had to replace my valve extenders for the gauge or TPMS. To read the pressure.
It seemed like on my old extenders the middle pin wasn't long enough. What Gary said.

Willandgiselarv said:
I had to replace my valve extenders for the gauge or TPMS. To read the pressure.
It seemed like on my old extenders the middle pin wasn't long enough. What Gary said.

I am able to get a reading on my front tires (no valve extensions) but not on my outside duallys (no valve extensions).  Are you implying the rear dually tires have different valves than the front tires???  That doesn't make any sense.

Usually green valve stem cap means Slime sealant installed. Sealant can definitely plug valve core. Does on my bicycle all the time and I run 100 psi. Usually popping air chuck on and off stem will clear core, but sometimes have to loosen core. I?ve heard rumors of damp dust from balance beads plugging cores, but have no first hand experience with that.

jubileee said:
Usually green valve stem cap means Slime sealant installed. Sealant can definitely plug valve core. Does on my bicycle all the time and I run 100 psi. Usually popping air chuck on and off stem will clear core, but sometimes have to loosen core. I?ve heard rumors of damp dust from balance beads plugging cores, but have no first hand experience with that.

I have absolutely no idea what the heck you are talking about!!  Or are you just yanking my chain?  Thanks anyway

What he is saying is green slime is a chemical you put inside the tires so when you get a puncture the green slime will seal the puncture. So what the green slime could potentially do is stick to your valve core and gumming it up preventing you from checking the pressure,  to correct this pump some air in to clear the valve core and try to check tire pressure again.

Just curious on the tire without the extenders can you get air out by pressing the middle stem?

Hello Guys,
I realize that when a thread is started, to get the full scope on what is being asked or discussed, one usually has to read the thread in it's entirety.  Please reread my initial post and comments to Gary, particularly this quote:

"Tried depressing valve but no air was dispersed.  I also tried putting more air into tires, but was unable to do so.  I noticed a green valve stem cap on one inner if this indicates anything?" 

Tried air in, air out -- No Go.  It is not a green valve stem, it is just a green stem cap

And the green cap means Nitrogen not Slime. But if they did one they would do all, meaning it was likely what was laying on the ground.

Sounds like its time to take it off, set it on the ground and figure out what the deal is?

I don't think the OP could care less about what the green caps or green stems mean. He just wants to check his tire pressure. To the OP, it's the extenders that is giving you the issue. Many have the core installed very deep in the stem. In the past, I have taken a file to the end of the stem to effectively end up with the core closer to the end of the extender.

Sounds like he is going to have to take the outside dual off and check the extenders and see what is going on, correct it, and reinstall outside tires.

SCVJeff said:
And the green cap means Nitrogen not Slime. But if they did one they would do all, meaning it was likely what was laying on the ground.

Sounds like its time to take it off, set it on the ground and figure out what the deal is?

My Thoughts EXACTLY !!!

rbrdriver said:
Sounds like he is going to have to take the outside dual off and check the extenders and see what is going on, correct it, and reinstall outside tires.

I should be able to see what the issue is before removing any wheels with or without the extenders even being considered.  The outside dual is the same as the inside - cannot test, fill, or release air from ANY of the 4 rears.

kdbgoat said:
I don't think the OP could care less about what the green caps or green stems mean. He just wants to check his tire pressure. To the OP, it's the extenders that is giving you the issue. Many have the core installed very deep in the stem. In the past, I have taken a file to the end of the stem to effectively end up with the core closer to the end of the extender.

You are partially right -- I had given some thought as to what the green cap is, but another poster clarified that though.  The extender, (only one is still there, other one is gone) could be part of my issue, but I am far from accepting this to be my problem.  As I previously stated, ALL 4 DUALLIES cannot be tested, filled or releases air by pressing air intake stem.

Guess I will have to take it to a Truck Tire Place and see what the experts have to say.

it's the extenders that is giving you the issue. Many have the core installed very deep in the stem. In the past, I have taken a file to the end of the stem to effectively end up with the core closer to the end of the extender.
That would be my guess as well, and I've experienced that myself.  Often you can unscrew the valve pin to raise it in the stem, but sometimes filing down the stem is easier.  And as I mentioned previously, not all gauge and air chucks have a center pin long enough to mate to the pin in the valve stem.  I've replaced air chucks or gauges  simply because they don't mate well with my tire valves.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
That would be my guess as well, and I've experienced that myself.  Often you can unscrew the valve pin to raise it in the stem, but sometimes filing down the stem is easier.  And as I mentioned previously, not all gauge and air chucks have a center pin long enough to mate to the pin in the valve stem.  I've replaced air chucks or gauges  simply because they don't mate well with my tire valves.

Gentlemen,
I respect your opinions and I'm certain that you have much more experience on this subject, than I do, but for the 3rd time or is it the 4th time, 'the issue is not with the extenders' !!
The front tires have been air pressure checked with 3 different gauges, all with identical readings, both fronts read 65 PSI.  ALL FOUR REAR TIRES cannot be pressure checked with any of the three available air pressure gauges.  ALL FOUR REAR TIRES will not accept air from my compressor which is set at 100 PSI, in addition, air is unable to be released from them. 
As I am no expert on tires or valves, but does it not make sense to think that when the tires were first mounted (this past Spring), they were filled and balanced before they were mounted.  Therefore, sometime someone had to put air in the tires and now I can't put any more in or release any....  Do we believe that the installer who mounted the wheels, then cranked on the valve stem to tighten the valve to 'insure that they won't leak'??  I guess if that is the case, he missed the front two.  None of it makes any sense.  Valve stem, no valve stem, no different!

As I stated, I will take my MH to a tire dealer and let him resolve my problem

Pictures of the rear valve stems may help clear communication.... The valve extenders would probably only be used on the rear wheels... that?s why some are thinking its a problem with the valve extenders....  I think there is uncertainty on what valve stems or extenders your are trying to put air into and therefore some guessing, and all trying to be helpful.  Communication breakdown is leading to unfortunate misunderstandings which might be perceived as being critical.  A picture may be worth 10k words

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoldenOldie
Back
Top Bottom