Check Engine light followed by Shut Down Engine light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thelazyl

I have a Fleetwood Bounder with Cummins diesel (330hp).  We've owned it for 4 months without a glitch.  When driving for the first time in 2 weeks, and 5 minutes after start up, I got a yellow check engine light.  The gauges all were normal.  A minute later I got a red "Shut engine down" light - gauges still normal.  I shut down immediately and coasted to a stop in the middle of the road.  After a minute I started back up and had no further warnings for the 20 minutes I was driving.  I happened to run into another DP owner at the tire store which was my destination.  He said his DP does this frequently. 
My last maintenance was 6 weeks ago - oil and all filters change.

Please let me know if you have experienced a similar issue.

I have seen a poor ground connection to engine block cause similar problems on over the road outfits. Seen it  on both Cat and Cummins. My brother had a series 60 Detroit in a KW that had a partially corroded fuse that caused intermittent warnings and shut downs. He spent over $4000 and pulled most of his hair out before we found that problem. No codes. Early Detroit. Also, my experience with Cat and Cummins ends with 2002 models.

I don't think I would bet on that either way - odds are around 50/50, I think.  In any case, the chassis VIN will identify the chassis year if that becomes important.

I've seen Check Engine lights come and go fairly often in some operating conditions, but a shut-down warning is both serious and rare.  A call to Cummins should get some advice on what can trigger an engine Shut Down warning, yet clear quickly.

Thank you to everyone who posted.  Thanks to your advice I was able to find a mechanic near my home in Oregon (I live in a logging town with a few truck mechanics).

The problem was simple - a bad coolant sensor.  The mechanic told me without this fix I would have to ensure a shutdown every 10 minutes.  It was a cheap part and they were able to fix it within the same day.  Our trip to the Oregon Coast was delayed by only 1 day.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom