Random acts of kindness.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oldgator73 said:
Please do not slap our military in the face by suggesting the present administration has done anything for those that presently serve. You do not do our brave men and women in uniform any favors by doing so.
sorry man...But the last administration suggested having combat injured Vets get their own health care,  ... It truly was a slap in the face for our military.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/health-concerns/

(read the whole thing)  ;)

Oldgator73 said:
Please do not slap our military in the face by suggesting the present administration has done anything for those that presently serve. You do not do our brave men and women in uniform any favors by doing so.
Gator you are letting your political bias overrun your common sense.  I disagree with your statement emphatically!

I think you guys need to do s little research and see just much the current administration has denigrated the military. It?s in print and they are direct quotes from the guy himself. But, that?s okay. You have every right to believe what you want, fantasies as they are.

sightseers said:
sorry man...But the last administration suggested having combat injured Vets get their own health care,  ... It truly was a slap in the face for our military.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/health-concerns/

(read the whole thing)  ;)

Your statement is not accurate. It was suggested that if veteran?s had private insurance they could have that insurance compensate for the medical care related to combate related injuries/illnesses. Nobody suggested that veterans would be required to purchase private insurance. After meeting with veterans groups the past administration agreed with their sentiments and within 48 hours rescinded their efforts to go forward with the proposal. One of the traits of a good leader is the ability to realize when a mistake has been made and then take action to repair the mistake.

I read the whole thing. The comments attributed to the past President were false.

Oldgator73 said:
Your statement is not accurate. It was suggested that if veteran?s had private insurance they could have that insurance compensate for the medical care related to combate related injuries/illnesses. Nobody suggested that veterans would be required to purchase private insurance. After meeting with veterans groups the past administration agreed with their sentiments and within 48 hours rescinded their efforts to go forward with the proposal. One of the traits of a good leader is the ability to realize when a mistake has been made and then take action to repair the mistake.

I read the whole thing. The comments attributed to the past President were false.
I wish there were a way for me to respond without having the post locked.

DonTom said:
While the Vietnam war was going on, most people were very against it. Now, most people don't even know what we were fighting about in Vietnam--and don't care, as now it is over with.

-Don-  Reno, NV
most people don't know what we are fighting about in any of these wars.  (me included)

Who's the bad guy in Syria ? ....  the government,  or the rebels.  ???

Oldgator73 said:

Here's another vet that does not agree with your statement but will just let it be at that.

I do wear the hat.  Know why?  Because I came back and went to work with a lot of folks that for one reason or another did not serve, and they were resentful of those of us that did and made it known.  After being chided by a supervisor for being dumb enough to be a vet I went out and purchased the license plate for  my vehicle, started wearing my flight jacket to work, and got the hat.  Then I waited for him to do something about it.  He wilted.

Now I wear the hat because it helps me connect with other vets who often stop by to shake hands and say "Welcome home brother".  I have had some folks offer to pay for our food and I ask them not to.  I'm not looking for hand outs.

Did you know, VAs figures as of a year or so ago.  Only 7% of the population have served.  Of all the Viet Nam vets only about 30% are still alive.  I find that astonishing as when I was there in 65 I was the old man in the outfit, and yet, here I still am.

Dragginourbedaround said:
Not really. You are well aware of what will lock a post and you went there anyways.

Scroll up. You?ll see I didn?t go there first. I merely corrected an incorrect statement. The subsequent replies delved farther into rules violations. I will admit that I took the bait but others in the school stole my bait. I tried to warn the school that there are those on the surface fishing and we are all going to get caught and reeled in. So don?t put this all on me. You have any further problems with me you should probably PM me. Otherwise you might get spanked again.

Cooperhawk said:
I do wear the hat.  Know why?  Because I came back and went to work with a lot of folks that for one reason or another did not serve, and they were resentful of those of us that did and made it known.  After being chided by a supervisor for being dumb enough to be a vet I went out and purchased the license plate for  my vehicle, started wearing my flight jacket to work, and got the hat.  Then I waited for him to do something about it.  He wilted.

Now I wear the hat because it helps me connect with other vets who often stop by to shake hands and say "Welcome home brother".  I have had some folks offer to pay for our food and I ask them not to.  I'm not looking for hand outs.

Did you know, VAs figures as of a year or so ago.  Only 7% of the population have served.  Of all the Viet Nam vets only about 30% are still alive.  I find that astonishing as when I was there in 65 I was the old man in the outfit, and yet, here I still am.

I agree with you 100%. I don?t think anybody should be ashamed of or try to hide their service to this country. Wear your hats, display your patches or your license plates with pride. The only folks that won?t like it are the ones that did not serve. As stated above only 7% of the population raised their hands and swore to protect and defend our Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic. I sometimes wear a ball cap indicating I am retired AF. I don?t wear it so I get free stuff or to get thanks for serving. I wear it because I am proud to have served. And everyone on this forum that served should feel the same way. Be proud you served. You are part of an elite few. 7%.

Memtb said:
  I think that our present administration has brought appreciation of our military a little more to to forefront! And it?s about time.....those that serve or have served, deserve our respect!

here's how I saw it...

There was never any pride in being a Veteran (or at least a Vietnam Vet)....until after 9/11.

I honestly think all the Veterans appreciation stuff has just made things worse for many of us.  It used to be just a forgotten bad event, like a bad first marriage...it is over,  and done,  and history.....

I'm not going to wear a hat... or an old wedding ring to keep reminding me of all the crap I went through.    ;D 

Oldgator73 said:
I agree with you 100%. I don?t think anybody should be ashamed of or try to hide their service to this country. Wear your hats, display your patches or your license plates with pride. The only folks that won?t like it are the ones that did not serve. As stated above only 7% of the population raised their hands and swore to protect and defend our Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic. I sometimes wear a ball cap indicating I am retired AF. I don?t wear it so I get free stuff or to get thanks for serving. I wear it because I am proud to have served. And everyone on this forum that served should feel the same way. Be proud you served. You are part of an elite few. 7%.

Thanks Gator.  We agree on that for sure.

sightseers said:
here's how I saw it...

There was never a lot of pride in being a Vietnam Veteran.... until Vets started coming home all shot up from the currant wars.

You?re probably correct in that thought. During the VN war we didn?t have 24 hour news. I remember the evening and late night (6 & 11) news and the morning and evening newspapers. Nobody can make you take pride in your service. Only you can do that. Remember, you did something that only 7% of the population did so the remaining 93% didn?t have to.

Oldgator73 said:
You?re probably correct in that thought. During the VN war we didn?t have 24 hour news. I remember the evening and late night (6 & 11) news and the morning and evening newspapers. Nobody can make you take pride in your service. Only you can do that. Remember, you did something that only 7% of the population did so the remaining 93% didn?t have to.

Pride ?? (ha ha)    ...for decades only another Veteran ever had any respect for a Vietnam Vet,  Illuminati still regards the military as the uneducated dregs of society.  Try wearing a non conforming "Hat" on the UC Berkeley campus and see what it gets you.. ::)

But, Thanks man and thank you for your service.  :))

sightseers said:
for the longest time...only another Vet... ever respected a Vietnam Vet.

Thanks man  :))

Well, I am a Veteran. A Vietnam Nam Era Vet. Not a Vietnam Vet. I want to make that distinction clear. I am not a combat vet. In 24 years of military service I never was in a combat zone and never saw combat. I served during the Gulf War but due to our mission in Northern Japan I was not deployable. I cannot compare my service to anyone that served in a combat situation. Our son served in Iraq and is now rated at 100% nonemployable by the VA for PTSD he sustained while serving in a combat role. He is not the same person I watched graduate from basic training at 18 years old. I belong to a group called Healing Waters which is dedicated to helping Veterans through fly fishing. We meet every other Tuesday to learn to tie flies and talk about fishing and go fishing when the weather gets better. Many in the group have injuries that are not visible. Nobody talks about their military experiences. Nobody talks about politics. All there just enjoy the company of folks that understand what they are going through without having to sit around and talk about it.

a long time ago I asked my Doctor ....how come all the WW2 Vets didn't have to take PTSD medicine  ?

He said to me..  "They should have,  but instead they just got drunk and beat their wives" 

That really shook me up.

Cooperhawk said:
Of all the Viet Nam vets only about 30% are still alive.  I find that astonishing as when I was there in 65 I was the old man in the outfit, and yet, here I still am.
I am curious where you found that statistic.

I too am in that 30%. I was 20 years old in 1969 while I was in the Central Highlands of Vietnam. Army, 11B (infantry), B-3-8, 4TH Infantry Division.

I was also in the 1970 Cambodia incursion.

Welcome home!

-Don-  Reno, NV

Back
Top Bottom