What amount is safe to tow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wrenster7

Hello again to all!

The whole towing thing seems so complicated for so many. (Including myself)

I feel overwhelmed with GVWR and the formulas involved. My Ford Econoline E- 150 has a GVWR of 7000 listed on the plate in the van. I guess my basic question is this.....

What size camper can  I SAFLEY tow? Most places give you a dry weight. Do I use the dry weight number then add weight for water and other things? Can someone please help?  (Hoping to get a number and not a formula ;) )

Thanks!!!  :)

You need the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) the GCVWR (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating) and the GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) for the rear axle for the E-150 then we can come up with what you can safely tow.

It would also help if you could give us the year of your E-150. 

To add to Rons comments - Use the GVWR of the trailer. Their advertised empty weight is exactly that - empty.

Larry

OK here is as much info as I can find.

My van is a 1999 Ford e-150

GVWR is 7000, the rear is 3800 and front 3400.

I could not find the GCVWR. Thanks again for your he

Thanks that should be enough information one of the trailer guys can figure out what the maximim GVWR trailer you can safely and legally pull.

I couldn't find a Ford towing document for 1999 E150 but the 2002 should be pretty much identical.  Using the data for a 2002 , the towing capacity of an E150 is 5000 lbs with the 4.2L V6, 6400 lbs with the 4.6L V6 and 6800 lbs with the 5.4L V8. That capacity figure is for a van that is empty except for fuel & driver, so you have to subtract the weight of everything else you put in/on the van, including the trailer hitch. For a preliminary estimate, you can subtract about 10% from the towing capacity.

When looking at trailers, find out its GVWR (maximum gross weight when loaded).  It's shown on the DOT plate which is usually on the front left side somewhere. Lacking that, use the dry weight and add the CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity) plus about 150 lbs for propane and a small amount of water. CCC should always be shown in the manufacturers brochure - the RVIA requires that each RV have one.

If you have the E150 with the 4.2L V6, I would stay well under the rated capacity unless you will drive only in Florida or the flat plains states. It won't do hills well at all with a trailer on the back.

Thanks Ron and Gary!

I love this forum!!  ;D

I was thinking right around these numbers, but wanted to be certain since everyone has a different idea on this subject.

Needless to say RV dealers are the last ones we want to use for our information, however there are some out there that are good about keeping people safe on the road.

Since i have a 5.4 V 8 I get a little more tow capacity,,, Yippee!!!  Since I live in Kansas  and the highest hill we have is a speed bump, I think I am fairly safe withthe 10% rule.

Thanks again :)

wrenster7 said:
OK here is as much info as I can find.

My van is a 1999 Ford e-150

What I need is the engine 4.6 or 5.4, and the rear end ratio.  I assume that the transmission is automatic.

Carl--

I would love to give the ratio for the rear, but I am uncertain where to locate this info.

the engine is a 5.4 V 8 automatic.

Thanks for your help

wrenster7 said:
Carl--

I would love to give the ratio for the rear, but I am uncertain where to locate this info.

the engine is a 5.4 V 8 automatic.

Thanks for your help

OK., I will assume you have the E150 Wagon the one with windows all around as opposed to the cargo van which does not have side windows in back.  The nominal tow rating for the 1999 E150 Wagon with the 5.4, auto and 3.55 rear is 6500 lbs.  Your trailer Gross Vehicle Weight Rating  (GVWR) should be no more than 5850 lbs, allowing for a 10% safety factor.  If you would tow in the mountain or Pacific west, make that safety factor 20% a do not tow a trailer with a GVWR over 5200 lbs. 

Frankly since you live in Kansas, Colorado is not too far away and the temptation might well prove irresistable, I would recommend using the 5200 lbs figure

Carl--

You are the best! Yes we have the kind with the windows all around. I appreciate all your hard work.

I will keep those figure in mind when looking for my next camper!  ;D

wrenster7 said:
Since I live in Kansas  and the highest hill we have is a speed bump, I think I am fairly safe withthe 10% rule.

Last year when I drove thru, I would have sworn I saw an ant mound about 2" higher than the speed bumps - maybe you better up that 10% to 11%  ::)

Larry

You can find your axle ratio real easy.  Jack up and secure the rear end mark the U joints with chauk and turn the rear wheel and count the revolutions of the drive shaft and you can figure out real easy wheather the ratio is 3.55, 411, 4.55  or what ever.  Some times Ford had the axle ratio code printed on the door tag where the VIN # was  but you need the code and I've forgotten what they were.  Example  the Tag on our Lincoln 01  is JL  If you can find the code call a Ford dealer and ask them,  Best I can offer you.

The older Econolines have a tendency to roll, so I would recommed upgrading to a vehicle made for towing such as a 2008 F-250 diesel. If you want something with more space in it, you could look into a 2005 diesel Excursion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim Dunn
Back
Top Bottom