Memorial Day Camping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
camperAL said:
The same thing is true during the Labor Day holiday. Last year I was traveling and didn't make reservations and got a scolding from the camp ground owner. I simply asked them if they had a spot for me or not. Figure I could move on down the road or stay at a Wal-mart if I had to. Didn't want a lecture on making reservations. They had a spot for me after all. I gave them a lower rating for hassling me. I did appreciate a spot to camp through. Didn't appreciate the speed bump they had which really rattled the RV when crossing it at slowest speed. Oh well.

I would have replied...Yes Sir(mam)....I had reservations....But I decided to anyway....Then I would go find that Walmart ;D ;D

Hi Gizmo100,

Good comeback! I always appreciate your wit! While it is busy during the holidays, there are always people on the road and needing a spot to stop. I am pretty passive, but after a long day at the wheel, don't need someone I'm offering to spend money with giving me a hassle. Best!

We were lucky to get a non-reservable site at a local lake by coming in on Sunday morning, just after someone else was leaving. There was one other non-reservable site which was picked by the folks who drove in right behind me. There won?t be any more movement on the non-reservable sites until after the holiday.

We don?t normally camp on a holiday weekend, but my daughter just had a baby, so we are staying near here. She doesn?t need any real physical help except maybe some food, but she says she wants moral support. Besides, this way she can get out of the house with a newborn to a safe environment while her husband goes fishing! Win win for sure.

We've got a long road trip planned!  Out the back door of the house and into the new trailer.  We just recently bought it and I've been modding it with a bunch of stuff, so Memorial Day weekend our shakedown camping will be an overnight with the trailer parked on its landing pad behind the house.  We know the towing part of it is fine, we towed it a little over 400 miles home from the dealer when we bought it.  If everything checks out....all systems go, we've got a trip to Damascus, VA planned for three days to ride the Virginia Creeper trail and do some sight seeing up there.  Holiday camping will be July 4th for a few days in Chattanooga....camping, bicycle riding on the Riverwalk and the annual fireworks on the riverfront downtown.

xrated said:
We've got a long road trip planned!  Out the back door of the house and into the new trailer.  We just recently bought it and I've been modding it with a bunch of stuff, so Memorial Day weekend our shakedown camping will be an overnight with the trailer parked on its landing pad behind the house.
That's the  way to do it. Safe travels this weekend.  ;D :D ;) :))

Rene T said:
That's the  way to do it. Safe travels this weekend.  ;D :D ;) :))

LOL at the safe travels comment.  I'm figuring that the worst that could happen is missing a step coming off of the rear deck on the long walk (35 feet) to the camper!  ;D

We cancelled our reservations.  We had a surprise 6 week trip out of town and just got back and need some time to settle in AND it's downright cold here right now!  We did the Big 3 last year (Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day) and I don't think we'll do that again.  If I want to be in traffic and around a bunch of people, I can just stay home.  Happy Camping Everyone!

xrated said:
Memorial Day weekend our shakedown camping will be an overnight with the trailer parked on its landing pad behind the house.

I love "driveway camping". Even though the house is right there, somehow it still feels relaxing. We live in the country and have a fire ring in our back yard so that adds to the feeling as well!  ;D

kportra said:
If I want to be in traffic and around a bunch of people, I can just stay home.  Happy Camping Everyone!

We just extended our Memorial Day weekend until Tuesday - Monday morning I'll sit my butt under the awning and just watch the checkout chaos! Then we'll head into the village and enjoy the emptiness!

The misses and I were at Branson two weeks ago for the week. Great time.
Last weekend I was at Lake Shelbyville, IL. hanging with members from a fishing website.
This weekend, Memorial Day weekend, heading to Clinton Lake with my oldest son and two grandsons. I hate holiday camping, but the grandkids wanted to go. I tried to make reservations in January, however every site was reserved except the walk up only. Monday I checked for any openings due to cancellations, and there were 6 sites open. Picked one and reserved it. 313 sites available and 286 reserved. Going to be a busy weekend. Hopefully the storms and rain will keep some of the crowd home.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoadSage
Back
Top Bottom