Hearing Aids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rene T said:
When I had my hearing test done at a private audiologist, they even paid me for travel and it was only 5 miles away. I think I got $6.00.

I'll keep that in mind.  When I had my first test done in Little Rock, we were staying less than a mile from the VA hospital.  I didn't even apply for the mileage reinbursement.

Old_Crow said:
I'll keep that in mind.  When I had my first test done in Little Rock, we were staying less than a mile from the VA hospital.  I didn't even apply for the mileage reinbursement.

I  have a cousin who lives in Searcy just north of Little Rock.

Nice Jeep junkyard in Searcy.  8)

Our s&b is near Mountain View, about 100 miles due north of Little Rock.  When we go back, unless we have to deal with the house, we stay in Maumelle Park in west Little Rock most of the time.  Closer to where the kids live now.

I also have a spare pair from the VA if anyone needs them, drop me a note! The VA replaces every 5 yrs

Progress report:  Got a letter from the VA.  They rate my hearing loss at 0, but they gave me 10% for the tinnitus.  Hey, it results in $140 being deposited in the bank every month.  That's a tank of gas for the motor home for nothing.
Thanks for this discussion guys, I probably wouldn't ever have thought of applying without this thread.

LTG said:
I spent 10 years in the US Navy. Three of those years on the flight deck of a Aircraft Carrier flight deck. More than a year off of the coast of View Nam. When I went to the VA to inquire about health and other benefits, they asked me about my annual income. I told them. They said that I had way too much annual income to qualify for any VA benefits. Is that true. Can you qualify for VA benefits without an income threshold amount?

phil-t said:
Any vet can get VA healthcare.  Your income will determine the cost of that healthcare.  If you get a service connected disability rating, that will also drive the benefit cost level.  VA benefits are many and varied.  Go see your local VA Benefits Administrator.

I believe Phil is correct. I have 0 service connected disability yet I receive benefits for the VA (medical, hearing, and ocular). I had my 1st heart bypass with the VA at Memphis while I was still working full time at the Federal Court.

If your income is too high, you will be charged for visits to professionals like eye and hearing (n/c for annual medical, vaccinations, etc.). I don't know if it goes higher, but I am charged $50 for these kinds of service. But, hearing aids and standard glasses are free. Also, if your income is high, it may take months to get into the system and be issued an ID card.

New hearing aid story: I have special hearing aids from the VA. I lost almost all hearing in one ear a couple of years ago. The VA gave me a "crossover" hearing aid set where one side transmits what it picks up over to the other side via bluetooth. Anyway, a few days ago, my pup found the main side on my nightstand and gave it a taste test. I just got a replacement yesterday - no charge.

Currently still 0 rated here as well, although I do have a claim pending with the VA. A month ago, I picked up my new Signia (Siemens) rechargeable hearing aids at the regional VA hospital, and they ordered a direct connect TV adapter and a Bluetooth adapter for me that arrived in my mail box a week or so later. I also receive annual physicals, flu shots, etc., at a CBOC (Community Based Outpatient Clinic) near our upstate NY cottage. If you're a vet with any discharge except a dishonorable, you're eligible. Even a dishonorable discharge recipient can be eligible under limited circumstances.

Well after reading through this thread I decided to try and sign up with VA only for hearing evaluation and hearing aids if needed.  I am a retiree so I draw a regular military pension but TriCare for Life does not cover hearing aids.  My application was rejected and I suspect it was for too much income which I always have considered to be average to low average. 
    I was surprised that the application does not take into consideration any assets or other means of support besides pensions and interest income.  I have a close friend who is a multi-millionaire and he is a widower.  For some reason he is very concerned about his living arrangements should he be incapacitated and has it fixed in his mind that he wants to live in a VA home nearby.  He actually applied for a VA card and got it approved!  He is 90 years old and in better health than most 70 year old folks.  But he finds out that the waiting list which is two years long and he is beside himself even though he does not need it now.  Heck, he could afford the best nursing home in town were he to need it tomorrow.
    But. my point is that despite being rejected for a VA card, I am very happy to see so many vets get the good benefits offered by VA, especially the benefits most aged people need.  Good thread and I learned a lot.

The VA has been a Tri-Care provider since 1995, but only on a space available basis. It's not clear to me though, whether you actually apply to the VA or just treat them like any other provider you can choose. Here's a link to some useful info...

https://www.va.gov/VADODHEALTH/TRICARE.asp

Dutch, after several phone calls I was told I had to apply to VA which is what I did and was rejected - income given as the reason.  Tri-care told me straight out that they do not cover hearing aids because Medicare does not cover hearing aids.  I have no complaint but some of the things that Medicare does not cover make me wonder - hearing aids and support hose prescribed by a doctor are two things that come to mind and both are for medical conditions.

Bill N said:
Dutch, after several phone calls I was told I had to apply to VA which is what I did and was rejected - income given as the reason.
I would have had the same problem, but I found out that they always accept Vietnam Vets regardless of anything else. And perhaps with many other things as well. But I hear they keep on changing their policies for who they will and will not accept as new members. Many who were rejected in the pass were able to join VA later.

-Don-  Reno, NV

Bill N said:
Dutch, after several phone calls I was told I had to apply to VA which is what I did and was rejected - income given as the reason. 

Ok, I can't help you there. Unless you want to assign some of your income to me...  ;)

Here is a link to the Eligibility Requirements for VA Healthcare:  Things have changed since I applied many years ago.  Still, by this document, I would qualify today.  Income only has a bearing if one does not meet one or more of the other requirements.  Income, and disability percentage, while in the VA Health Care system, will determine the Priority Group one is placed in and what, if anything, you will have to pay for that care.
One should really find a VA representative (one that knows the system) to help you through the application process.

https://www.va.gov/health-care/eligibility/

phil-t said:
One should really find a VA representative (one that knows the system) to help you through the application process.
He's talking about a representative from the American Legion, DAV or the VFW.  I used the VFW for a condition I have and they helped me through the entire process.  The guy I used was the State of NH Representative for the VFW. You need someone high up like him. Don't just go to the local club although they may give you the name of the right guy.

The real world price for those $12,000 VA aids is about $3000.00 pr.

cavie said:
The real world price for those $12,000 VA aids is about $3000.00 pr.

I saw that first hand when my MIL bought aids and compared those with a pair obtained thru the corrupt system.

lynnmor said:
I saw that first hand when my MIL bought aids and compared those with a pair obtained thru the corrupt system.

I understand the VA is the largest buyer of hearing aids in the world. I suspect they get a pretty good discount on them. The $7,000 price on mine that was mentioned by the audiologist was the MSRP.

I understand the technology in them has to be paid for but holy moly, what a racket! Mine were $5200 through worker's comp, a friend paid 6 grand months later for the same model.Then I had to buy a new iphone to run the software. Geesh!!!

I got my new aids about a month ago.  They are the rechargeable and work great.  They also work with blue tooth so I can use my Iphone to link music and phone calls right to them.  They also have a  microphone built in so no remote is required to talk on the phone.  I do have the app to control them with my phone, but it isn't the greatest.

The VA gave me no problems getting them.  This is my second set and I can get a new set in three or four years.  At the VA hospital they have a new walk in office to get the adjusted or whatever without an appointment.  Just get there early because it's first come first served and when they close that's it.

They told me to keep my old ones as spares.

Back
Top Bottom