Hearing Aids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HueyPilotVN

Anybody need a good set of hearing aids.

Several years back I had a hearing evaluation prior to getting my 100% VA disability.  I could have told them that I did not hear very well in my right ear.  They did need to document it as it was one of the condition that helped determine the 100% rating.

The Audiologist insisted on prescribing hearing aids for me.  They gave me a set and I put them in a drawer and never wore them.

Lately I have realized that I really cannot hear very well so I got them out to check them and see if they helped.  The batteries were completely dead.  I called the VA to see where I could get some batteries.

The VA department at Prescott sent me a case of batteries and insisted that I have a audiology exam.

A month later I had an appointment and they insisted on ordering me a new set of hearing aids.

After about 3 months the hearing aids arrived and they brought me in to program and set up the new hearing aids.

The new ones have a few improvements.  They are rechargeable with Lithium batteries, they have more programmable features. And they connect with my smart phone or other device thru Bluetooth.

I asked the fellow how much would they cost if I did not have full VA coverage.  He said that it would depend on where I bought them but probably around $12,000.

I remember that back when I got the first set they said about $5000 or $6,000 for that set.

Now here is the real reason behind this post.  I am sure that one of us old farts or a nice gentle lady needs a set of hearing aids but does not want to spend money for them.

I asked the technician and he said that they could be reprogrammed and they are certainly not worn out, (I never used them).

Here are some pictures of the first set.  Anyway, just send me an email and I will get them to you for free and then you can find a place to adjust the frequency and whatever they do to personalize them.

Attachments

• r20191003_201303_002.jpg
    r20191003_201303_002.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 139
  • r20191003_201313.jpg
    r20191003_201313.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 54
  • r20191003_201410.jpg
    r20191003_201410.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 74
  • r20191003_201418.jpg
    r20191003_201418.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 58
You can buy those size 13 batteries at any WallMart store cheap,,, I have basically the same the as your "new" ones with the full blue tooth system , available at Costco for $2800.00.>>>Dan

That's very generous of you Bill to offer them for free. I have a set of Phonack's that I purchased 5 years ago and like them better than the ReSound the VA gave me. I need to go back to the VA and get my ReSounds fixed or upgraded. They have a lot of feedback that annoys my wife.

That is very generous of you Bill. I could certainly use a set. I got diagnosed five years ago by an audiologist as needing a set but they were $5000 for the cheap set. I bought a dirt cheap set of audio amplifiers but I never use them because they distort music very badly. Send me an IM if I win.

timjet said:
That's very generous of you Bill to offer them for free. I have a set of Phonack's that I purchased 5 years ago and like them better than the ReSound the VA gave me. I need to go back to the VA and get my ReSounds fixed or upgraded. They have a lot of feedback that annoys my wife.
That is generous, indeed.

The ReSounds I got at Costco ($2500) don't have a feedback problem, and I'm able to use their app on my phone to control volume, as well as to choose one of four performance settings, including one called "music" that gives me a roughly flat response up to about 8,000 cycles, and indeed puts much of the pizazz back into music (I can actually hear cymbals and such again, for example). The price includes a warranty, including free replacement for losing or damaging them, and also includes just picking up replacement domes and wax filters at Costco at no additional charge. And replacement batteries are $8 for a 48 pack at Costco.

I had a comprehensive hearing test yesterday at a regional VA hospital, and they're ordering a new set of aids for me. I don't know which brand they'll be, but I'm told the VA has contracts with the top six vendors and only buys their best models. I'll find out in a few weeks when I go back to get them...

Hearing aids are priced like jewelry. They put an exorbitant price on the sticker and then offer huge discounts, sometimes 50%. The price usually includes audiologist services (testing & programming), which probably amounts to 25% of the price, and a 12-24 month service contract.  Free batteries for a year or two is a sales come-on, but most hearing aid batteries are so cheap the value of that is small. A 2-year supply of the common type 13 battery costs only about $70.

As others have said, a quality set of digital hearing aids now runs around $3000 for the over-the-ear type and $5000 for the hidden type.  Price varies with the granularity of the frequency programming, but modern digital aids are usually at least 16 ranges and 64 is the current trend.
Mine are the Signia Pure Nx brand & model.

From what I've read, the VA buys hearing aids at an 80% discount from the retail price. I guess buying about 20% of all the hearings aids sold in the US carries some weight in price negotiations... :)

As a veteran I can get a new set every three or four years.  In two weeks I go in to get my new set adjusted and they said I can keep my old set for a backup.  I have a good friend that needs a set and can't afford them.  I will give them to him.

The new set is just what you described.  Rechargeable and will work with my IPhone.  Also they have a mike built in and I can have my phone in my pocket set to auto answer and I can just talk without getting my phone out. 

So now there will be thousands of old men walking around mumbling to themselves.

I recently got a pair of hearing aids from Costco. They did the hearing test and prescribed their Kirkland brand aids, which were $1,499 FOR THE PAIR!! They seem to be working better than the Phonaks I had before. I have Kaiser health insurance. They wanted $5K for a set on top of my hearing benefit!

I have a good friend that needs a set and can't afford them.  I will give them to him.
He will still need to get a hearing test and have them re-programmed to his needs. Otherwise the aids may be of little help, or conceivably even negative help.

X2 Bill, having worked around helicopters I certainly understand your hearing loss issues. ::) I have two spare sets, the first are just amplifiers that cover the whole sound spectrum which is not what I needed and are uncomfortable to wear. They were $1500. Workmen's compensation bought Siemens which were an improvement but the buds irritated my ear canal so they ended up in the drawer.
Last fall my hearing was getting noticeably worse so I got tested again, wc bought Oticon which I am quite happy with. They are comfortable, so much so that I have almost forgotten to take them out before stepping in the shower, and I can control them with my iphone. Had to get a new one as my iphone 5 would not accept the app.
Batteries have been a nuisance. WC supplies them but the Powerone brand were only lasting anywhere from 1/2 hour to three days. The new ones I am trying are from Audmet, got a week out of them so far which is very good.
I worked with Chris Waugh, an ame with Canadian Helicopters. Coincidence or is he a rely?

Generous offer Bill.  But I don't need them as I got my VA supplied aids 2 days ago.
Wow !  what a difference.  I'm like a kid in a candy store.  I am continually hearing
new sounds and trying to identify them.  I also ordered a new pair of glasses thanks to VA.
Getting old (er) ain't for sissies.

garyb1st said:
Larry, is $2,500 for both hearing aids?  Did Costco also do the hearing test?

Go to Costco and look.  They have them priced from 1295. Each to 1395 each depending on make and model.  That includes free hearing test and two year total warranty.
Wife just had her nearly 5 year old ones in for repair and Costco set her up with loaners for the week it took to turn around.  Costck other than the VA is the best deal around on hearing aids.  New ones today are leaps and bounds better that models just three years old.  Personally if I was going to Costco I would look close a the Philips brand.

garyb1st said:
Larry, is $2,500 for both hearing aids?  Did Costco also do the hearing test?
Yes, Gary, that's for the pair, including the hearing test, calibration, the whole shebang, including periodic return visits to check fit, calibration, etc. Part of the etc. is that they initially only have the correction volume turned up (in my case, at least) to about 70% of what the final settings should be, in order to give your ears/brain a chance to become accustomed to the difference, then later visits to incrementally bring that volume up to full (after a year or so). It's amazing the difference even to start with (above 1,000 cycles my hearing drops off sharply), and each ramp-up helps more.

I've had several return visits, including when one side died (not the battery, and it was replaced free), and getting more domes (the piece that goes in the ear) and wax filters, and that one price has been all I've paid. And the folks running that section are NOT on commission, but know their business very well indeed.

SeilerBird said:
That is very generous of you Bill. I could certainly use a set. I got diagnosed five years ago by an audiologist as needing a set but they were $5000 for the cheap set. I bought a dirt cheap set of audio amplifiers but I never use them because they distort music very badly. Send me an IM if I win.

Tom,

There was not a contest but you did win them.

I am glad that you can use them.  I hope that the hearing aid people can adjust them for you without charging too much.

I am also glad the someone that I know is getting them because my only concern was that someone that did not need them would just sell them.

Hopefully this will make listening to your music more enjoyable.

I am sending you an IM to get your shipping address.

There is no pay it forward on this one, except...... the next time you get frustrated or pissed at another poster...just take a deep breath and calm down and say to yourself..."OK you get a pass on this one"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom