Coronavirus and traveling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oldgator73 said:
The reports I saw today say do not go to emergency rooms, doctors offices or emergent care facilities. Doing so only infects those medical professionals. COVID-19 testing facilities were supposed to be setup but due to our governments continuing weak response those testing centers are not coming to fruition. The other problem is the lack of testing kits. It is incumbent on the general public to become informed on how to combat this virus. The government is not here to help us. Italian officials were on NPR this morning. They stated they were two weeks behind the curve on this thing and now cities like Venice and Milan are shut down.

The Medical Hospitals here are saying that if you are sick, stay home, unless to are experiencing severe breathing difficulty. In that case they recommend calling the closest Urgent Care or ER, and let them know your needs. They will be prepared when you arrive, to minimize exposure to other patients, and families.

Showing up unannounced is probably the worst thing one could do.

Oldgator73 said:
The reports I saw today say do not go to emergency rooms, doctors offices or emergent care facilities. Doing so only infects those medical professionals. COVID-19 testing facilities were supposed to be setup but due to our governments continuing weak response those testing centers are not coming to fruition. The other problem is the lack of testing kits. It is incumbent on the general public to become informed on how to combat this virus. The government is not here to help us. Italian officials were on NPR this morning. They stated they were two weeks behind the curve on this thing and now cities like Venice and Milan are shut down.
I heard a statistic this morning, UK have tested 23,000 people as they are doing random tests, circa 300 positive.  So don't worry too much about the testing as lots of people have the virus but NO symptoms.  Therefore focus on your temperature, dry cough and breathing difficulties and isolate yourself if you have these, then call and discuss or go online.  In the UK we have to use a tool to determine level of isolation and IF we need a test..... might be similar in US.

chuckbear said:
YoBenny, It seems to me that al great deal of your time is consumed around the coronavirus and researching it. I too would become anxious and somewhat fearful if I spent this much time dwelling on one issue.

It's all that research that has kept me from being fearful at least for myself.
I am ready, I have heavy duty protection if I need to go out, I have stocked up food and other stuff so I do not have to go out. I am more fearful that others are not taking this stuff seriously and not only will get sick but also spread it to others.
So I try to let people know that this is not your normal flu bug and as this spreads it is going to cause a lot of problems outside of just being sick.
As far as what the doctors and hospitals are saying, they are trying to slow the intake as a lot of it will be mistaken flu and cold not Corona. However if you are above 60 and especially with preexisting problems do not pay a bit of attention to that crap, you call them and say you are on the way and you git yo butt up there.
The testing kit response from the govt. was pathetic, but at this point, it is BESIDE the point. It's here, it's almost everywhere already, and it is going to do the same thing that it has done elsewhere, cover the place up. I am staying away from any and everybody, but I will be here to review the aftermath.

Attachments

• 00011.jpg
    00011.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 9
603 cases at noon, we have passed Japan, it jumped considerably in just the last 24 hours to around 32% replication per day. It's begun, I wish all of you the best!

The Tucson Festival of Books that was scheduled for the upcoming weekend was just cancelled a little bit ago. I expected that as I've been looking at the schedule to see which author events I wanted to attend. Dozens of authors had cancelled. I can understand them cancelling as they most likely need to fly to Tucson. I personally would not want to get on an airplane right now.

In the announcement, TFOB said over 100 authors had cancelled and they expected more to do so. Also, they rely largely on volunteers and they may be short handed as many may not want to work this year.

YoBenny said:
It's all that research that has kept me from being fearful at least for myself.
I am ready, I have heavy duty protection if I need to go out, I have stocked up food and other stuff so I do not have to go out. I am more fearful that others are not taking this stuff seriously and not only will get sick but also spread it to others.
So I try to let people know that this is not your normal flu bug and as this spreads it is going to cause a lot of problems outside of just being sick.
As far as what the doctors and hospitals are saying, they are trying to slow the intake as a lot of it will be mistaken flu and cold not Corona. However if you are above 60 and especially with preexisting problems do not pay a bit of attention to that crap, you call them and say you are on the way and you git yo butt up there.
The testing kit response from the govt. was pathetic, but at this point, it is BESIDE the point. It's here, it's almost everywhere already, and it is going to do the same thing that it has done elsewhere, cover the place up. I am staying away from any and everybody, but I will be here to review the aftermath.

Wow, you really are paranoid, aren't you? Not meaning to be an insult. Just my observation. Do you plan on going out in public in a hazmat suit? Chuck

As I said, nope, I'm not paranoid, because I have embraced and made preparations for what is about to happen. I guess you think life is just going to tick on along in the next couple months but that sure as hell isn't the case in the rest of the world and can't imagine why anyone would assume it will be different in the states.
I'm 62, I use breathing medications every day and I am not sick.
For this little predator, I am the Bullseye and I would be an idiot to not do everything I can to avoid letting it try. Sure, lots of people will pass right through it no prob, but not me, and not a whole bunch of others too.

chuckbear said:
Wow, you really are paranoid, aren't you? Not meaning to be an insult. Just my observation. Do you plan on going out in public in a hazmat suit? Chuck

If you aren?t concerned about COVID-19 then go about your life as you normally would. But don?t trivialize another?s actions. You don?t know his situation. I?m 69 and my wife is 67. We love to go on cruises and usually take a couple a year. We have been advised not to book any cruises until this crisis is contained. We also like to go to Spain and Italy. Won?t be doing that until competent officials (not our government) say it?s okay. We are taking our grandkids to San Francisco and Hawaii next month. It?s already paid for but not sure it will come to fruition now. Are you going to tell me I?m being paranoid?

I would not get on an airplane in three weeks from now for all the chopsticks in China. Even though a jets air system if filtered every 70 seconds. In order to stop the virus they would need a filter with P95 rating and to move that much air through it, it would have to be 5x5 feet wide and I doubt seriously they are capable of that. I'm currently building an off grid boondocking trailer with lots of planning and research. I am an avid fisher, hunter and trapper. I don't a damn thing from anybody if I just get pushed in that corner.
If it was finished, I would be in it, and in the woods. I think it is one of the safest and most enjoyable places that you could be. Welp Dallas Memphis, Nashville are now on the case map, all roads must cross the Big Mighty and I am sure this place will light on up here shortly.

It's a new pathogen

Apparently not.  Jerry's sister lives near someone who says he "was a professor of pathology at the University of California San Diego, [and] was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). [He] was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since then, [he has] kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different animal sources."  So, according to this person, they've been researching the coronavirus for about 45 years.  He said "the virus only has cell receptors for lung cells" so it only infects your lungs.  That explains why pneumonia is a symptom and why less healthy people are more at risk.  This person gives the same advice heard elsewhere, e.g. no handshaking or hugging, minimize touching possibly contaminated surfaces, avoid touching your face, use 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer, and cough or sneeze into disposable tissue.  In other words, use the same precautions as you would during any flu season. [Source: Lake of the Woods (Virginia) Neighborhood Watch Newsletter 40, March 2, 2020]

chuckbear said:
When I was working computer security our standard phrase was ?Just because you are paranoid doesn?t mean they aren?t out to get you.? It is not being paranoid to do what you can to keep someone medically fragile from a potentially fatal disease. Folks, the WHO indicates a 10-20% fatality rate for those 70+ with comorbidities (heart disease, pulmonary issues, diabetes, etc.). This is t our media or politicians. The numbers come from other countries, many with top notch medical systems. I am not personally too worried as none of those items affect me, but I sure don?t want to infect someone who is affected. Wash your hands folks!

ArdraF said:
Apparently not.  Jerry's sister lives near someone who says he "was a professor of pathology at the University of California San Diego, [and] was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). [He] was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since then, [he has] kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different animal sources."  So, according to this person, they've been researching the coronavirus for about 45 years.  He said "the virus only has cell receptors for lung cells" so it only infects your lungs.  That explains why pneumonia is a symptom and why less healthy people are more at risk.  This person gives the same advice heard elsewhere, e.g. no handshaking or hugging, minimize touching possibly contaminated surfaces, avoid touching your face, use 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer, and cough or sneeze into disposable tissue.  In other words, use the same precautions as you would during any flu season. [Source: Lake of the Woods (Virginia) Neighborhood Watch Newsletter 40, March 2, 2020]
Coronaviruses in general have been studied for many, many years. After all, varieties of corona viruses cause the common cold. COVID-19 is a new variant. There are definite differences between this variant and others. And I am not paranoid; I just took a lot of microbiology in school and worked in medical research for a few years as a biochemist. I find the information in scientific articles fascinating, and I much prefer to read those than popular media or politicians.

The lung attachment is what is so troubling (for me), I've had lung problems for a decade and have learned to not get sick by how I interact with my environment. I don't have any real data to support a 100% success because I used several tools in conjunction and not sure which ones were working or worked at all. I just know that I did these things for a decade and I have not been sick with flu or cold for a single episode. (Now that I said that, this crap will KO me)
People have to learn to do this, and it is in direct conflict with how you normally go about things. For instance, count how many times you touch your face tomorrow.
Try not to do it at all unless you are sanitized and see just how hard it is to change that behavior because you do it normally A LOT and don't even think about it. (which is probably why most of the corona viruses that exist use hand to mouth transmission) It is HARD to change that. For most people, they have no intention of that. I've not been sick with cold or flu in 10 years, but this strain of virus and it's unusually long incubation period, it's contagious asymptomatic characteristic combined with how wide the symptom severity reaction to it is, poses special problems. It can be right in your face, from someplace that you least expect it, and you won't know it, and neither will the person who has it.
That means that You Cannot TELL. And when you cannot tell, you have to treat all of them as if they DO have it. Kids can have it, infect you with it, and not show a single symptom from having it. Everything that they touch, you gotta sanitize it and then yourself. If you think that's easy you should try it. I have no faith at all that most people can do it, they don't have the incentive, and that makes all of them dangerous.

Oldgator73 said:
To me this is the dangerous part. Folks with no symptoms but able to pass the virus on. They are among us.
On TV tonight a doc was saying the test is not always accurate as it relies on getting the virus on a swab and the area swabbed may not necessarily contain said virus.

I think anyone with underlying health issues would be crazy not to take precautions. It also appears to be very serious for people with heart disease as it causes inflammation which can exacerbate existing issues.

Anyhow it is a concern in this house but we are trying to be sensible.

Stay safe folks.

jackiemac I have a few friends on the islands over there and hope to one day sit down to the best "Proper English" breakfast to be had! ;-)
And I'll be having some of that Irish Stew and Coddle as well! ;-)
One of my friends is in London and a photographer and he has been appalled at how things were handled with this. Grateful to be young enough to survive it and outraged by the response to protect the rest. I think this is a great shot of how he feels.

Attachments

• 00011.jpg
    00011.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 9
When the governor of Florida issued the State of Emergency order today, he begged younger, healthier people that probably won't get seriously sick from this virus to please wash your hands and do whatever is necessary to avoid giving the virus to someone older or with underlying conditions because although the carrier may not get sick, the second person could die from it. I hope this advice is followed.

Overnight, the state of Florida's number of cases jumped from 12 to 119.

My doctor's office sent me an email that I am sure went out to every patient stating that if you think you have the virus, call the office and they will screen you over the phone, and then determine your course of action, probably sending you to a lab for testing. They were explicit in their instructions to NOT come to the office.

As far as getting your information from the talk show doctors, I wouldn't do it. I limit my information to what I hear from the CDC, NIH, and WHO. So far, it seems that Dr. Fauci is the most forthcoming with accurate information and doesn't seem to mind correcting what the president has said when it is incorrect.

John Stephens said:
I limit my information to what I hear from the CDC, NIH, and WHO. So far, it seems that Dr. Fauci is the most forthcoming with accurate information and doesn't seem to mind correcting what the president has said when it is incorrect.

YES!

John Stephens said:
So far, it seems that Dr. Fauci is the most forthcoming with accurate information and doesn't seem to mind correcting what the president has said when it is incorrect.
The Pres.  said the test kits are being sent out.

Can we keep politics out of this, so that hopefully this thread will not get shut down.

Having said that I think my position on what I think will happen with this virus should be fairly clear based on my previous messages, but to sum it up, I think it will be serious, but not the end of civilization.  I also think that the stock market reaction is a bit extreme, sure travel related stocks should take a hit, airlines, cruise ships, etc., but I don't see this greatly effecting other sectors.  For the healthy working age people this will likely not be visibly much worse than a bad flu year, by that I mean a few times higher mortality rate, with more people being infected, but still fairly rare.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom